“Terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 hotels in St. Helena
Santa Clara
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The room was $480, smelled, was not cleaned probably in weeks, furniture is old, bedding stained and unwelcoming. I will write a review to appropriate authorities to shut it down dangerous to the health of the tourists.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We just stayed at this hotel due to the fact that we needed to just stay one night and they had no minimum night requirement. It was $400 a night for almost a dump...when we checked in they said "Oh, there is no TV working in your room". When we went to the "room" and I use the term loosely, there was no place to put the luggage without putting it on the bed when we were not sleeping. It was hot, the windows don't open (they put some sort of material in to stop it from moving). SO, BEWARE..this hotel is a pit for the money. If it was $300 less, it would be fine.
On the plus side, the bed was comfy, even for a double.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Having never been to this hotel I was not sure what to expect, so I was really pleased when I first walk in at the charm of the place. Totally Victorian in its style and decor, very clean and well appointed with period furniture and curios. The staff both at check in and check out were wonderful. We felt immediately welcome and they were very helpful and gracious with all of our questions. We also got some great recommendations as to restaurants and bars in the area. The rooms were also spotless. Very comfortable king size bed and what appeared to be a newly remodeled good sized bathroom. All around a wonderful experience with great customer service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

We booked a room for 18May as we were to visit friends in Anguin. It was the least expensive room I could find. The woman that checked us in was nice enough. The room was tiny. I have traveled for business since 1964 and have to say our bed was one of the worst I've ever slept on. Terrible back ache the next two days. I just returned from four months in Central and South America and have had better beds in $10 hosterias. The woman that served us breakfast was nice enough and the breakfast was pretty good. Over all, the rate is about $100 too much. I suspect the visitors from the 'Bay Area' don't mind getting gouged as they get use to it.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

The service here is not only terrible, but insulting. I booked 1 night on a Saturday for 4/28/12. It was the cheapest hotel around I could find in Calistoga and St. Helena. Now it's the cheapest for a reason. I was told I had 3 days prior to the reservation to cancel or modify my reservation. My plans changed 3 days prior, and I called the hotel number listed in my confirmation email to cancel one of the rooms. No one picked up so I left a voicemail. No one got back to me, and it was at 8:00 pm so I thought fine I'll try again tomorrow.

Tomorrow comes and I email them when I don't hear from them. Turns out the confirmation I had a different number than what they usually answer at. I call at the new number they gave to me and when I get a hold of someone, they told me it's too late to cancel since it is 2 days prior to the reservation. I explained that my confirmation email did not have the right number, so they should let me cancel since I left a voicemail last night. The woman refused to do so and would not let me speak to the manager after repeatedly asking to speak to the manager. I told them there's no way I'm staying there after this fiasco, and that I'm disbuting the credit card charge if they still charge me. She said fine she doesn't care. That's the kind of service you'll get for staying here. Heed my words, find somewhere else that will treat you like they actually care for how you feel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We did not stay at this hotel, so I'm not able to talk about the room. But we did stop in the lobby and the woman working at the front desk was able to help us out tremendously. She was very accommodating and welcoming despite the fact that we weren't staying at the hotel. The antique decor is charming and the lobby was clean and comfortable. I would book a room at this hotel based only on the way that they treated us as non-guests and welcomed us into their space. Obviously very kind hearted and caring hosts.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed here with my friends on our first visit to Napa Valley, and the receptionist was extremely helpful. The hotel is being renovated, and the rooms and bathrooms that have been renovated are really nice. We happened to stay in a room that had not been renovated, and spoke with the receptionist about some of our concerns and they apologized completely and gave us a partial refund, which was great and unexpected. I would recommend this as an affordable place to stay in St.Helena, with a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been renovated, and if you want a private bathroom make sure to ask.