“Lovely-off the beaten path” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Our Cab-ulous Package
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in St. Helena
San Francisco, California
“Lovely-off the beaten path”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My husband & I just spent the weekend here, and we had a lovely time. From the moment we checked in, we received amazing service from the staff-everything from food recommendations to arranging our free shuttle service to/from the local restaurants. We stayed in one of the main rooms, and it was spacious, clean and comfortable, and had an outdoor patio with a beautiful view of a neighboring vineyard. One of the highlights we really enjoyed was the afternoon wine reception-loved that they had a representative from a local vineyard there pouring free tastings, and the spread of appetizers was delicious. We will definitely be back-is truly a lovely place, a little off the beaten path but still very close to downtown St. Helena and many great local wineries. Very attentive service as well-had a wonderful time and can't wait to return later this year!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

When we arrived at the Inn, we were told we had received an upgrade to a cottage. The room in the main house was being remodeled. Score! Or so we thought.
The cottage sets above the main house on a private dirt road. When we first drove up it was dark. Very dark. The outside light was burned out, but we could still find the door. Once inside we turned on the light and discovered our first (of many) spiders and a cold room. The night hostess had told us that the room had baseboard heat. Negative. The small portable heater was on but really was inadequate. We started a fire right a way. Between killing spiders, we found a mini split A/C unit on the wall and a kinda beat up remote. Couldn't get it to work. When we went back to get more wood, the night hostess insisted the cottage had baseboard heat. We told her no, and asked about the mini split. Was the breaker off? Remote dead? She couldn't help. But we did get more wood. It was late and we didn't want to relocate and it was a bit of an adventure after all.
After a night on a very hard bed, the adventure continued when we found that if you're the second to take a shower, do it fast! The water heater (in the closet) is very small. We were offered another room, but we elected to not move as the other room didn't have a fireplace. And magically on our last full day the mini split worked nicely.
To shorten this up, highs and lows.
Highs: Cottage was private. Staff, though misinformed, was really nice and tried their best to help. The homemade granola was yummy. We want those pillows.
Lows: Cottage wasn't prepped for occupancy. Breakfast featured a repeating mushy quiche, strata, etc. The bed didn't have a pillow top as we were told, and they were surprised it didn't. It made the bed really hard. A spare pillow top anyone? No.
Our biggest gripe is that we (not the Inn) had to figure out how to make our room comfortable instead of just unpacking our bags and not have to worry about anything. Due to the remodeling, a shortage of rooms limited options until our last full day. The cottage should have been made ready and the staff informed of changes in the cottage. Oh, and maybe kill all those spiders before the guests arrive! The cottage itself was nice.
It obviously was their low season. Maybe the high season is better.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
LoveToTravelFar, Owner at The Wine Country Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. And your assesment was correct. The room we put you in was not prepared correctly for your arrival and had not been used for at least a month. This was inexcusable. To be honest, we are not used to being so busy early in the season and we had a number of rooms out of service due to renovations and upgrades we were making. I take full responsibility for this mistake. Please contact me privately to discuss your ideas of compensation. jim@winecountryinn.com
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband and I spent three nights at the Wine Country Inn. We got a really good rate via sniqueaway.com. We had just come in from Hotel Drisco in the city, where we were undeniably spoiled, and so my initial impression of the inn was ok. It seemed a bit run down, and I knew because of our special rate, we were going to be placed in a room that had not yet been renovated. Upon entering the room, I saw the carpet, and the old school bathroom (Stand up shower) and I almost went back downstairs to ask for an upgrade, as their cottages and other renovated rooms, have beautiful hard wood floors, and are much more to my liking decor wise - I have never been a fan of carpets in hotels, especially not B&B's. My husband pointed out that we were not going to be spending much time in our room and to just give it a shot. I agreed and we walked down stairs to join the happy hour the hotel offers their guests at no charge. Once I got a glass of wine, and sat down and started talking to the staff, it was all good from there. It's a family owned business, and you can feel the sense of community they are trying to create with their guests through these happy hours and free communal breakfasts in the morning. The beds were really comfortable, the rooms clean enough, but what I enjoyed most was the service. Janelle was our DD for two nights, and gave us awesome food recommendations. Of course, my favorite little surprise of the trip, Bob!! I fell in love with him and if you were/are lucky enough to hang out with him, he is a very very special part of The Wine Country Inn. I would definitely stay in this B&B again, however, in a renovated room. In an area that has a lot of "commercial" feeling resorts and hotels, the Wine Country Inn offers you an authentic wine country experience.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a renovated room when you book.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband found the Wine Country Inn online, and we loved our three days there. The hotel has lovely rooms, a generous breakfast and a beautiful pool, where I spam laps one morning. Local wineries pour wines every afternoon, and the owners put out appetizers to go along. We had lovely pre-dinner conversations with guests and really felt like the staff cared about our experience at the hotel. They even stock headphones in the room if you are bothered by the noise from the adjacent winery!

Sherman Oaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love the Wine Country Inn. All the rooms I have stayed at (3 times) are spacious, comfortable, charming and spotless! The staff goes above and beyond to make your stay so very pleasant, they truly care! The free restaurant shuttle is an added bonus! I will be back soon!

Room Tip: If your budget alloes, go for the cottages!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012 via mobile

I rarely, if ever, return to an inn or hotel on the theory that the world is too big not to try something new. This Inn, however, is likely to be an exception for me! We arrived late on a Friday night during a torrential rainstorm. We were greeted by a friendly staffer. Our room, a private bungalow, was huge and equipped with a fireplace. Although it didn't generate a lot of heat, it helped throw off the chill in the room until the heat kicked in.
I awoke the next day and walked out to our private patio overlooking acres of luscious grapevines glowing in the morning sun. I was so happy to see during my morning jog that the WCI is situated in between two fabulous wineries. Duckhorn on one side and Freemark Abbey on the other.
Breakfast was delicious with options from healthy to decadent. Evening wine and appetizers in a cozy living room like setting.
We opted for the package that included in room massage and mud bath. Lisa, the masseuse, really worked me over! One of the best 90 minutes ever!!
The room was clean. Bathroom was huge. Loved the shower with three heads. I wanted to stay curled up on the large window seat forever but I finished my book - and it was time for more of the Valley's finest.
Free shuttle to town is a nice touch too. Very nice and romantic.

• Stayed January 2012
Menlo Park, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

The staff at the Wine Country Inn sincerely want your stay to be memorable. They greet you warmly, serve wine and substantial hors d'oeuvres every evening, feed you a bountiful breakfast, and offer helpful suggestions about activities. The public areas are comfortable and invite conversations with other guests. Special events, such as honeymoons and anniversaries, are celebrated with romantic surprises.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Our king room had a fireplace, small balcony, comfortable reading chairs, and lovely views over the vineyards and hills. A hot tub and pool are a short walk from the main building through terraced gardens. Free WiFi is available.

Our only disappointment was that the promised ride to dinner was canceled because several staff members called in sick.

Room Tip: Specify fireplace, whirlpool tub, or view if any of those is important to you.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wine Country Inn? Share your experiences!