“Above and beyond in paradise.” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Main Street, St. Helena, CA 94574   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in St. Helena
Chicago, Illinois
“Above and beyond in paradise.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed recently for three days on a business trip. For the last twenty years I've averaged about 30 hotel stays per year and flown 1.75 million miles so I've had the opportunity to amass a considerable database of hotel knowledge. The Harvest Inn in St. Helena easily ranks in one of my top five hotel experiences ever. Here's why...

First and foremost is service. I typically don't care how great your ratings are, your views are or how pretty your property is, if the staff cannot deliver great service, the stay's enjoyment is typically compromised. Everything from the initial phone call, to the check-in staff, to housekeeping, to the breakfast staff, ALL of it was effortless, professional, warm and inviting. Anything needed was obtained with a smile, and provided. Impeccable service sets the stage for an incredible stay as then you can focus on the property.

I'm not certain how many acres they have, but having the vineyards RIGHT outside your window certainly make it feel much larger. The property is in St. Helena on the far North end of Napa Valley tucked against a backdrop of vineyards and mountains. Each morning you awake and the sun is splashing the vines/mountains with incredible rays and the view is awe inspiring. Walk outside to the breakfast and you're among enormous pines and it's as if you've stepped into Colorado high country. Running water from artfully designed wine barrels spews over the edge providing soothing sounds as you meander the path to the breakfast room. This isn't some makeshift buffet either--specialty juices, croissants, jams, assorted cheeses, meats, eggs, different quiche, danishes and much more. No matter where you are, you're surrounded by luxury and beauty.
The room is a welcome cove of comfort. Large bed, very large fireplaces complete with pre-assembled bags of wood where the only thing needed is a match, private hot tub spa on the deck, large flat screen t.v., his/her vanity with PLENTY of counter space, gorgeous tub and terrific shower. The water pressure is incredible, the towels ultra heavy, the bedding exquisitely soft and high quality. Were it not for wine country and the wonderful draw of world class wineries you would never want to leave your room.

The three day stay was incredible and I'll certainly be back.

Room Tip: I surveyed the property and really have no tip on a "preferred" room. They all look incre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were fortunate to get the same vineyard room as our friends and travel agent, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although the bathroom lighting was inadequate, the room was large, clean, and inviting. The only complaint during our four day stay was the incessant noise from a partying business group. After three complaints and a meeting with the GM, it went away (don't know if they just went away, or it was the complaints.) Very nice breakfast, superb hot tub, beautiful grounds, and unsurpassed location if you like visiting wineries and walking into town.

Room Tip: Vineyard rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stateline, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location. Near Press Restaurant, Velo Vino tasting room, and many wineries and other restaurants. Clean, large room. Exceptional bedding. Enjoyed the onsite wine tasting at happy hour. Reception personnel helpful. Pretty grounds. Pricey like most hotels in the area.

• Stayed February 2013
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

THis is just an amaizing place, we booked a vineyard view suite and it is just incredible the view from our terrace. The fireplace, the bed, the place is very clean, the breakfast was really good. Location is percfecto No one single but to this beautifull hotel in Sta Helena. Not Cheap but really worths it!

Room Tip: Choose Room 302 great vineyard view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sausalito, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I can usually find something good to say about anything, but this one is the exception to that rule.
I knew I was in trouble when I entered my room and the overpowering smell of cinnamon almost brought me to my knees. I found the offending "fragrance sticks" in a dirty jar full of water and tossed them. The room was dark, cheesy furniture, Holiday Inn style bath, etc. So far so bad. Then I went outside for a moment, returned to the room and my card key didn't work. Called the front desk and stood in the cold for 15 minutes before a passing housekeeper kindly let me in.
Went down the road to a wonderful restaurant called PRESS. A steakhouse, tastefully done, wonderful service. Back to reality. The noise from a wild party above intolerable. Got moved.
New building, new party. Even louder. 2AM call to front desk went unanswered. Escaped at dawn.

Room Tip: For a good room, go to either Meadowood or Calistoga Ranch, both nearby.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
dgreene23, General Manager at Harvest Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear AlexHawke,

Thank you for your feedback – and sharing your experiences from your recent stay at the Harvest Inn. To be honest – most of our guests spend a restful and relaxing stay when they visit us. Napa Valley for many people is a place to escape to – not having to deal with the issues that plagued you. Most of our guests love the valley and the Harvest Inn and do not endure the problems that beset you. I am sorry that you experienced a less than perfect stay with us as I strive for complete satisfaction of all my guests at the Harvest Inn.

I love feedback from customers – even negative feedback - because it’s an opportunity. Based on your feedback, and the similar issues echoed by the previous reviewer; also from Sausalito, we have already made some changes here at the hotel to avoid future problems. I have our maintenance team reviewing our locks. It can be very frustrating when the keys don’t work – especially when they work one time and not the next. We are reviewing the fragrance sticks and their use. Actually, I’m open to suggestions – from all our guests and readers. Go to our facebook page and post your favorite fragrance to make your stay perfect.

Just as I stated in the previous unhappy guest, I would welcome you to come back to experience the Harvest Inn again and I assure you that we will make the proper corrections so that you will experience the rest and relaxation that you expect and deserve. Sometimes, the hardest part of my job is hearing what we did wrong. The most rewarding part of my job is getting it right. Next time, please escape back to the Harvest Inn instead of out into the dawn.

I ask that you contact me personally to make this reservation for you.

Debbie Greene, GM
Sausalito, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My friend and I bought two nights at the Harvest Inn and looked forward to our visit as it looked like a nice place online. Granted, we are used to high end properties but we were willing to be open minded particularly as we were supporting a charity by buying the hotel package.
On arrival we were greeted nicely by the front desk person who changed our room assignment so that we were next to each other . We had requested this in our original reservation and told that this would happen but apparently had not been done.
Upon arrival at our rooms we found the room keys we had been given did not work and so we returned to the front desk for new ones. This time the keys worked for one room but not the other.
The rooms were fairly large, apparently clean and very boring in décor. We didn't really mind as we were there for only one night and were going out for dinner later on.
Very shortly after our check in a major party began in the room above ours. There were about 20 people overhead who were crowded in the room and overflowed onto the balcony above our front door. There was loud music, loud laughter and a lot of very loud voices.
At this time I went to the front desk to ask that our rooms be changed as the noise was really unacceptable and would have made it impossible to sleep later that night. I was told that there had been a wedding that day and the partiers were from that group. As there were quite a few buildings on the property I asked why we had been given a room under the large party and was told that "reservations" had done this. I didn't want to remind the gentleman that he had been the one to assign us new rooms less than one hour earlier.
We went out to dinner and returned later that night to our new rooms only to find a new party had begun and sounded as if it were right outside our new rooms. When I called the front desk and complained the front desk man asked me what he could do to make the guests quiet down. I didn't really know how to answer his question as it was so illogical. The guests seemed to quiet down again but at 2 Am the party began again in earnest. My friend opened his door to find a man wearing a crown, a red cape and little else! While this is a very entertaining vision , it isn't one that is appealing at 2 in the morning.
Once we had finally gone back to sleep, our phone rang an hour later and there was no one on the line.
Needless to say I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Apparently there is no onsite manager, or he or she simply does not train or supervise their staff. We had the feeling that no one working at the hotel had any idea of how to treat a guest nor did they care if the guests were happy. A wedding party is entitled to have a great time but not at the expense of the rest of the hotel guests.
A simple apology would have been very nice but we couldn't get anyone to answer the phone in the middle of the night. God forbid it was an emergency!
Final comment! Don't go to the Harvest Inn unless you love unexpected harassment!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet rom in a building with no second floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
dgreene23, General Manager at Harvest Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Lucindaw:

Thank you for your feedback and I regret that your stay was not what you had hoped for. I am concerned when I hear that a guest was unhappy and we certainly strive to provide the best in service and accommodations for all of our guests. It certainly appears that we dropped the ball with your stay and I am truly sorry. Having said this, your review sparks a reminder to my entire team about what is the main goal for us at the Harvest Inn. It is wam, hartfelt and attentive service to which we aspire and have become known for.

I ask that you contact me personally to make this reservation for you.

Debbie Greene, GM
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Located on highway 29 just south of the town of Saint Helena, the Harvest Inn offers a bunch of semi-detached lodges with fireplaces and balconies/patios. Beautiful rooms with wonderfully comfy beds, refrigerator in the unit, nicely appointed bathrooms with over-sized tubs, and free wi-fi. Any service/tourist needs my wife and I had during our stay were quickly addressed. On a future stay I would opt for a unit on the upper level - on the lower level you can definitely hear folks above you. Also, our unit was in a lodge closest to Rt. 29 and the road noise was loud enough that we could not open the windows without being bothered by the endless stream of traffic. Other than the noise we would have given it a full 5-star rating.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lodges closest to the highway, Rt. 29. It is noisy!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford
4.5 of 5 stars 410 reviews

Been to Harvest Inn? Share your experiences!