“Solidly average place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Napa, California
“Solidly average place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I booked this hotel on an Orbitz whim, the kind where you supposedly save money by booking an unknown hotel room for a cheaper rate. My "great deal" was supposedly getting a $115 room for $75. Well, after I booked the reservation I discover that the going rate for their rooms is $80. So no real bargain there. I probably will never trust Orbitz again or do this sort of business with them. So you have been warned!!

The hotel was definitely older than it looks in the pics too. There was no literature in the room telling you check out times, pool/Jacuzzi hours or any info on the times of the breakfast buffet. We opted to sleep in till 9:30 & my husband ran down to the buffet & it was being shut down & was slim pickins by then. There was not even a microwave to heat up the few bread items that were left. And no microwave in the room tho there was a very noisy mini frig. The bed was kinda lumpy but I slept okay. We had a king bed. There was only a stand up shower in the room too. I guess it was fine for $75 but I definitely would have hated to pay more for this place. The location was convenient to Old Sac, just a couple minutes to drive there. I don't see what people were raving about with this hotel, it was nothing spectacular or special....just serviceable if you really don't plan to spend much time in your room except to sleep.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Governors Inn H, General Manager at Governors Inn Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear JanieKennedy,
I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay at our hotel. We value our client feedback and we use the information we learn to improve our services to our guests. It is our custom to let all of our guests know the continental breakfast and swimming pool hours upon check-in. Our clerks also provide the access code to the internet during check-in as well. We do provide a microwave in our breakfast room which is located on the back table.

I will be sharing your feedback with our front desk clerks to remind them about making sure all guests are informed of the hours for the breakfast buffet. We do appreciate you staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Like my title says, I always choose here when in town. The evening front desk man (Heinrich sorry for bad spelling) is absolutely wonderful! friendly face and always remembers my name. The rooms are nice and usually very clean. although my last stay my room was not up to par.I would and have suggested this hotel to my friends and family. I will be staying here again in the near future. F.Y.I the area is not the best, you have a few wondering people thru out the night, but I have not seen or been bothered by them while staying here. .

Room Tip: I have only stayed on the 3rd floor.. and have not had any issues with noise but the view of the ove...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Governors Inn H, General Manager at Governors Inn Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dalania A - Thank you for making us your hotel of choice when staying in Sacramento. We are humbled and honored to have earned your business. Our staff, as you mentioned, work very hard to take care of our guests and so glad that we have exceeded your expectations. I will share your review with our housekeeping department as we have very high standards. Thank you again for taking the time to sharing on Tripadvisor!
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed one night in Sacramento, the front staff was very nice and recommended some eateries to us that evening. We went to the workout room the next room, and the facilities was what was expected in terms of equipment for this hotel. But no towels, no water in the room! There was a sink with tap water, which would have been ok, but it tasted like chlorine. I like to be fully hydrated while exercising, they need to put in a water dispenser. Pool was decent, but not heated so very cold at this time of year. Breakfast was good with waffles. The breakfast room was a decent size with lots of tables.

Room Tip: For a one night stay, I would say any room is fine. The place is fairly big with lots of rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Karen L - Thank you so much for staying with us. Appreciate your comments about providing towels in the workout room. Glad you liked the waffles -- that was a suggestion from one of our guests and the waffles have been very well-received.
South Lake Tahoe, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Recently stayed for a three night training session; used my boss’s credit card to book the room. The front desk person would not charge the room to the credit card it was book with and I had to put it on my personal card. They have an approval form that needs to be filled out by the card holder with a copy of the persons' driver license. It would have been nice to know before I arrived.
The stay was average, the room/sheets/ towels were clean. The shower was dated and needed grout. I could hear the people above me stomping around. The pool/spa was clean and isolated from the public view. The free breakfast was simple: waffles/oatmeal/cereal/bagels/fruits
Location is great. Walking distance to large riverside park; it’s a couple miles along river to “Old Town” Sacramento area lots of shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Try for the top floor so you don't have people stomping above you
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Matthew M - Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We do value and appreciate the feedback. As the front desk clerk explained, it is our policy, along with many other hotels, that we have a signed authorization form from the holder of the credit card authorizing the use of their card. I am sorry that this was not explained when you made the reservation. We do our very best to get the information out about our policies, I am sorry that we fell short in this instant.
San Clemente
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed at the Governors Inn for a conference down town. Great value with good basic breakfast, clean newly redecorated rooms and best of all - free shuttle to and from the airport and downtown. Saved a bundle and the service was great.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
SanClementeMichael - Awesome review -- Thank you so much. Our business is all about taking care of our guests -- I am very glad we exceeded your expectations. Thank you so much for staying with us!
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed here while working short term in downtown Sacramento. The place is decent, with a free breakfast that includes make-your-own waffles. It is a quick drive down 7th from the downtown area. Parking is free. The rooms have been updated in past few years. The hotel is pretty clean, however it is on the outskirts of downtown so the immediate area doesnt really have much going on. You need to drive or cab into downtown for restaurants. Right next to a McDonalds and across the street from a gas station and Dennys.

Room Tip: Some rooms are right next to the McDonalds drive thru. I dont recommend those rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
jbrew3066 - Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to review us at trip advisor. We get a lot of good comments about our free parking and the make-your-own waffles in our continental breakfast buffet along with our other amenities. Thank you for sharing!
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

After my prepaid hotel downtown telling me that I did not have a room, Governor's Inn was there for me. The room was larger than I expected. Simply decorated. Quiet--which was necessary because I was there for the bar exam. The front desk was very professional and courteous. The only negative really--as I was grateful to just get a room at the last minute--was the frig. The mini frig was more of a swamp cooler. I had planned with my downtown hotel to have a complete kitchen so I had brought some food that needed refrigerated during my stay--but it was a small inconvenience--Dennys was located across the street and McDonalds directly next door so the problem resolved itself. Great stay for the price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
CaliforniaVisitor - Very glad to read that you had an excellent stay with us and we were able to meet your need at the last minute. look forward to having you stay with us again.

Been to Governors Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!