“Very pleasant, clean, secure facility only 2 block from the Sacramento Convention Center” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Downtown

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Antioch, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

For less than the price of a one night stay at the big hotels near the Capitol and Sacramento Convention Center, you can stay at the Quality Inn Downtown only 2 blocks away! Included is free Wifi, satellite TV, free parking (something the others charge), free breakfast, in-room refrigerator, microwave, coffee/tea maker, ironing board & iron, blow dryer and, free daily newspaper. You can even make your own waffles!

I'd recommend the Quality Inn Downtown for anyone having to go to Sacramento for meetings.

Room Tip: Join the Choice Hotels Privileges program!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Granada Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I first wrote a review of the Quality Inn in April 2009. The hotel is currently being renovated in blocks and I stayed in one of the renovated rooms. They have completely gutted the rooms with new drywall, carpet, furniture, bathrooms, and granite countertops. It's a much better looking room than it was in the past. And the desk staff, Frances and Mr. Patel, were friendly and pleasant.

Plusses: Big comfy bed, fridge and microwave, big flat panel TV with Dish Network, reliable Internet
Minuses: No alarm clock (though there is a clock on the microwave), small square pillows for the bed

The continental breakfast was what you would expect at a Quality Inn: cereal, bread, fruit, juice, and a waffle maker. The coffee was awful, though. Strangely, the only cup I had that tasted any good ended up having coffee grounds all over the bottom of the cup when I was done.

The area is still very loud. There's a bar across the street and from about 1:30 to 2:15 am the loud and very drunk patrons make as much noise as possible leaving and walking through the Quality Inn parking lot. In a response to my review in 2009 the management said they were working on it but it's still happening. The noise is the main downside of the hotel but its proximity to the convention center (1.5 blocks) worth the trade off.

I typically come to Sacramento for a convention every other year. Last year I stayed at the dreadful Econolodge up the street. If you ever have to choose between the two, there's no comparison. Stay at the Quality Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here overnight while traveling back from a trip to Seattle. We arrived around 10PM at night, and when checking in at the front counter, the clerk had two friends that were hanging around the counter while we were giving out our information...which kinda creeped me out. The room was clean, but kind of shabby/outdated. And another review was right...the pillows are little square half pillows.

In the morning, the shower head was too low (I'm 5'8" and had to duck) and the pressure was horrible.

The "hot breakfast" was why we chose to stay there, as we stayed at another Quality Inn and had a great breakfast. Not here. The only thing hot that was served were sausages. No hot eggs or anything else....just sausage. And the coffee tasted horrible.

Pick another place so you aren't disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We chose this location as it was close to the convention center. For that, it was great. Very short walk to convention center. The hotel was not in good repair, but it appeared fairly clean. The pillows are 1/2 size and the door to our room didn't close without pushing it closed really hard. That night, after trying to go to sleep for a while, I felt something crawl across my chest. I had enough presence of mind to reach up and grab it in my fingers so I could inspect what it was. With the help of Google, I was able to determine that it was a bed bug. When I returned to my bed and flipped the lights on, I could see several more. I woke my traveling companion and we found bugs in that bed as well. When we called down to the desk, they offered us another room. However, we did have to go down to the desk in our pjs to retrieve new keys ourselves (it was late, there was only one staff member minding the desk). After a very careful inspection, we determined that this second room did not have bed bugs. At check out, they did reverse all charges. We were left to figure out how to not transfer these disgusting bugs to our homes. Choose a different hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed here recently with a co worker on business. We only stayed one night. We didnt stay in our room too much except to use the facilities when we arrived and to sleep when we returned late. The bed was bit firm for my liking but sufficed. The pillows were decent and the AC worked well which I really loved since the city was in the 100s. I did expect some downfalls due to the price and bad reviews here but it was not too bad. Two other minor things that lent to my average ranting was the sink only having warm to hot water and the TV having static. The location is great. There were many bars and a brewery restaurant that we visited that were in walking distance or a short cab ride away. Check out was 11 but we had a cleaning lady waking us up knocking at the door about 9:30.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Silicon Valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

After reading many of the reviews, I thought that the stay my wife had booked would be terrible, but it was the opposite. I start with comments from other reviewers.

Complaints that we did not experience:
Noise from bar crawlers: We heard none.
Parking: Was not a problem, except when we checked out and wanted to leave the car longer, they asked us to move it. [It is only $6 all day at the car park at the back if you park before 9 am.]
Low water pressure in the shower: There was ample pressure.
Dirty: Our room was not too bad. It smelled a bit, but not to the point that it was uncomfortable.

Complaints we can verify:
Not pretty: Yes, it looks much worse from the street than it actually is!
Shower water temperature fluctuates: Yes, but not so much that it was extremely uncomfortable.
Undersized pillows: yes, a third of what I am used to, and fairly uncomfortable.
Small bed: Yes, for two people this was incredibly small.
Trash truck: Yes, on the two mornings it came at 06:30. It was very noisy, but I was awake and working, my wife stayed asleep, so it bothered neither of us.
Crowded breakfast area: It did get crowded, but not impossible. [Actually, breakfast doesn’t start until 7 am, so if you wanted an early start you are SOL.]

On the positive side:
Proximity: Very close to the convention center, another few minutes to the State Capitol, and an easy walk to restaurants and the River City Brew pub.
Breakfast: It had cereal, yoghurt, waffles, eggs, sausages. So it’s ok.
Internet: It’s free and worked well.
Desk: There is a desk to work on and two reasonable chairs so we could each work on our laptop.
Room size: our room (304) had three rooms: bedroom, bathroom, and other. This was good and we had plenty of space.
Sunshine: Our room faced west so after a day at the convention center we could work in the room with the sun coming in. It was good.

Room Tip: Take the third floor (where it is non-smoking)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Redding, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Man, what a horrible experience! 2:00 in the morning the several bars in the area close and apparently this is the parking lot for them to use. As guests of the hotel, we had to PAY for parking in the next door garage! Back from the all nite drinking, the locals started a scream & hollering match, complete with all the foul language drunks use , in the allyway between the buildings which provided a nice echo! We had 3 children with us, 11 and under! Hotel staff did nothing but threaten to call the police, who never arrived. I'm convinced a call was never made.

Our room was not ready when we checked in, after 3:00 p.m, but with keys in hand we went up to find 2 non-english speaking maids very surprised at our arrival. Complaining to each other, one in our party speaks Spanish, they quickly finished the room then started to clean the 2nd
room we also rented. If they were not rushed I wonder if they would have cleaned the BLACK MOLD from the bathroom wall. We asked for and received another room, but clearly the desk person was not happy. She asked what we had used so she could Get the room ready to re-rent! CLEAN THE BLACK MOLD OFF THE WALL! My pony doesn't live in this filth! Rugs need to be replaced, but at minimum, shampoo them. I've rented rooms at this price before and do not expect the Ritz, but I've never been in such a poor kept, poorly managed place before!

Room Tip: Stay in any room at another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!