“pretty run down...with bed bugs” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #39 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
California
“pretty run down...with bed bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We chose this location as it was close to the convention center. For that, it was great. Very short walk to convention center. The hotel was not in good repair, but it appeared fairly clean. The pillows are 1/2 size and the door to our room didn't close without pushing it closed really hard. That night, after trying to go to sleep for a while, I felt something crawl across my chest. I had enough presence of mind to reach up and grab it in my fingers so I could inspect what it was. With the help of Google, I was able to determine that it was a bed bug. When I returned to my bed and flipped the lights on, I could see several more. I woke my traveling companion and we found bugs in that bed as well. When we called down to the desk, they offered us another room. However, we did have to go down to the desk in our pjs to retrieve new keys ourselves (it was late, there was only one staff member minding the desk). After a very careful inspection, we determined that this second room did not have bed bugs. At check out, they did reverse all charges. We were left to figure out how to not transfer these disgusting bugs to our homes. Choose a different hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed here recently with a co worker on business. We only stayed one night. We didnt stay in our room too much except to use the facilities when we arrived and to sleep when we returned late. The bed was bit firm for my liking but sufficed. The pillows were decent and the AC worked well which I really loved since the city was in the 100s. I did expect some downfalls due to the price and bad reviews here but it was not too bad. Two other minor things that lent to my average ranting was the sink only having warm to hot water and the TV having static. The location is great. There were many bars and a brewery restaurant that we visited that were in walking distance or a short cab ride away. Check out was 11 but we had a cleaning lady waking us up knocking at the door about 9:30.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Silicon Valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

After reading many of the reviews, I thought that the stay my wife had booked would be terrible, but it was the opposite. I start with comments from other reviewers.

Complaints that we did not experience:
Noise from bar crawlers: We heard none.
Parking: Was not a problem, except when we checked out and wanted to leave the car longer, they asked us to move it. [It is only $6 all day at the car park at the back if you park before 9 am.]
Low water pressure in the shower: There was ample pressure.
Dirty: Our room was not too bad. It smelled a bit, but not to the point that it was uncomfortable.

Complaints we can verify:
Not pretty: Yes, it looks much worse from the street than it actually is!
Shower water temperature fluctuates: Yes, but not so much that it was extremely uncomfortable.
Undersized pillows: yes, a third of what I am used to, and fairly uncomfortable.
Small bed: Yes, for two people this was incredibly small.
Trash truck: Yes, on the two mornings it came at 06:30. It was very noisy, but I was awake and working, my wife stayed asleep, so it bothered neither of us.
Crowded breakfast area: It did get crowded, but not impossible. [Actually, breakfast doesn’t start until 7 am, so if you wanted an early start you are SOL.]

On the positive side:
Proximity: Very close to the convention center, another few minutes to the State Capitol, and an easy walk to restaurants and the River City Brew pub.
Breakfast: It had cereal, yoghurt, waffles, eggs, sausages. So it’s ok.
Internet: It’s free and worked well.
Desk: There is a desk to work on and two reasonable chairs so we could each work on our laptop.
Room size: our room (304) had three rooms: bedroom, bathroom, and other. This was good and we had plenty of space.
Sunshine: Our room faced west so after a day at the convention center we could work in the room with the sun coming in. It was good.

Room Tip: Take the third floor (where it is non-smoking)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Redding, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Man, what a horrible experience! 2:00 in the morning the several bars in the area close and apparently this is the parking lot for them to use. As guests of the hotel, we had to PAY for parking in the next door garage! Back from the all nite drinking, the locals started a scream & hollering match, complete with all the foul language drunks use , in the allyway between the buildings which provided a nice echo! We had 3 children with us, 11 and under! Hotel staff did nothing but threaten to call the police, who never arrived. I'm convinced a call was never made.

Our room was not ready when we checked in, after 3:00 p.m, but with keys in hand we went up to find 2 non-english speaking maids very surprised at our arrival. Complaining to each other, one in our party speaks Spanish, they quickly finished the room then started to clean the 2nd
room we also rented. If they were not rushed I wonder if they would have cleaned the BLACK MOLD from the bathroom wall. We asked for and received another room, but clearly the desk person was not happy. She asked what we had used so she could Get the room ready to re-rent! CLEAN THE BLACK MOLD OFF THE WALL! My pony doesn't live in this filth! Rugs need to be replaced, but at minimum, shampoo them. I've rented rooms at this price before and do not expect the Ritz, but I've never been in such a poor kept, poorly managed place before!

Room Tip: Stay in any room at another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Redding, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I rarely write reviews unless something is great or terrible, and this place was horrible. Luckily we only needed to stay one night to attend an event at the Convention Center and the location was only a block or so away. We paid approx. $85 for a night, which is on the cheaper side, but I've stayed in places for that price and they were nothing like this. When you first drive up, it is visibly run down. The parking spots are extremely tight and most of them were taken up by people not staying in the hotel, which forced us to pay for parking in the garage next door. We checked in around 3pm and were given our room keys, but when we got to our room it was in the process of being cleaned and since we already lugged our bags to the room we had to wait outside until they were done. Our first room had black mold in the bathroom, so we went to let the person at the counter know and she immediately said "so do you want to check out?” The customer service was nonexistent to say the least. She gave us a new room that was cleaner, but not by much. The location of the hotel is also located around the corner from a bar and during our stay we ended up listening to drunks and a couple fighting outside until around 4am in the morning. Needless to say, we got little to no sleep. It was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel and I would never recommend that anyone stay at this location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

Overall the room was good for the price. Only 1 thing that irritated me, low water pressure in shower.

• Stayed April 2012
Happy Valley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I don't normally review a hotel unless it's really great or really bad. Unfortunately, this place falls in the latter. You enter the property via a sketchy downtown alley. My kids were afraid to get out of the car. The place is very rundown and dingy. Some of Sacramento's seediest roam through the parking lot day and night. In fact, one night we watched a guy smoke crack directly below our room. The room was old and dated and in dire need of a massive renovation. Dirty carpet, dirty walls, old furniture. I didn't even want to put our luggage on the floor, yuk! The staff was not friendly or overly helpful. The breakfast was okay, but the staff wouldn't even say "good morning" when we walked in. The location is good if you just want to walk around downtown. The hotel is on a very busy street and the room was noisy day and night with numerous police sirens blaring. I'd avoid this place, especially if you're bringing your family.

Room Tip: I recommend the 3rd floor for security reasons.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!