“Should be nicer” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
Reno/Sparks
“Should be nicer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

This is just an okay hotel. I stayed ina dated room. The service was curt at best. The work out room is nice and the pool looked good. For the same money there are nicer places to stay in this area. The location across from the Mall is good and it is quick acess to the city center etc... Many great restaurants nearby. The Cheese Cake Factory etc... right up the road. The Doubletree should start offering free internet for the price you pay to stay at their hotel. You do still get a cookie when you check in - The Hampton has cookies too and free internet.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
dunebuggyfun, owner at DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento, responded to this review, August 31, 2009
Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We missed an opportunity to WOW you, and we thank-you bringing this to our attention. We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations. Thank-you again!

621 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

The purported multimillion dollar renovation was certainly a success! I didn't see the hotel before, but I can attest to the fact that the end result was spectacular! Large, spacious rooms (and we were there at cut-rate, rock-bottom rates). The room was beautifully decorated, squeaky clean, beautifulyl furnitured. Luxurious beds with lots of big, fluffy pillows, and sheets and comforters that match the most prestigious hotels. The entire hotel was gorgeous, and every member of the staff we encountered was professional and friendly. It was a fairly long walk from our room to the lobby/restaurants/conference rooms, but it's a big hotel, and it is laid out in a big sprawl. But the walk to and from was so pleasant, through enclosed, lovely walkways, with wide views all along of extremely beautiful grounds and landscaping. I was MOST pleasantly surprised and pleased by the entire experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Thank-you for your response and choosing Doubletree Hotel Sacramento! We thank-you for noticing the facelift, we are proud! We look forward to your next visit, so we can beat your expectations again. Thank-you again!
Pensacola, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

I stayed at the hotel for a conference, so hotel choice wasn't there for me in this case. I arrived at the property and was greeted by a friendly staff. Room was clean, but the building is very old. The door to get into my room wing had a malfunctioning card reader, so that meant entering through another wing and walking to mine. See the other reviews about how big the hotel is. I notified the staff and they didn't get it fixed for the five days I was there. The beds were nice with great linen. Other things of note in the room were the beautiful granite coutner tops and renovated bathrooms. Downfalls of the room would have to be the 23" Phiilips TV from what looks like the early 90's that sits so far away from the bed it looks like a 13" TV. Even lesser hotels at this price point have decent TV's.

Shortcomings for the hotel would have to start with the lack of WiFi in the rooms. This is 2009 and I can get free Wifi anywhere from McDonalds to Motel 6, so a hotel at this pricepoint shoud definately include free wifi. The option is in the room for a DSL connection, but at the cost of $9.95 a day. I swallowed the ten dollar pill because work demanded it, and was angered to see the connection speed slower than what I remember dial-up internet being in the mid 90's. It was so slow it wouldn't even connect to one of my work webmail appications. Highspeed WiFi is available in the lobby and restaraunt for free, but like I said that is a six minute walk from my room and not the place I want to do buisiness. If you are going to charge for internet it should at least be high speed internet.

The builidng itself is very nice to look at from the outside, but the interior is just old. They have new carpet down which is attractive, but it just makes the place look like a nursing home with new carpet. Wrapping a ribbon on turd syndrome. The rooms have new paint, but you can see every patch job from holes in the walls and abuse it has taken over it's long career. It is simply an older hotel that needs total renovation, not just new paint, carpet and bedding. The furniture is in such poor repair the drawers of the dresser would come open on their own in the night and bang open, waking me up.

The fitness center cosisted of a couple old treadmills, two eliptical machines, and a rack of dumbells that only went up to fifty pounds. The front desk was more than happy to refer me to a 24 Hour Fitness center that would let me buy a pass for the day for $15 because they had an agreement with the hotel. Oddly, the daily rate at the gym was $15 even if you weren't staying at the hotel.

In todays day and age, hotels are standard with free breakfast of some sort and highspeed internet. One of the conference attendees was staying down the street at a Marriot hotel and his rate was thirty dollars a night cheaper. His room came with free WiFi and had a full breakfast available every morning. Instead I paid for slow internet and a breakfast buffet was available for $15. Unsat. I have stayed at lots of Doubletree hotels around the country and I would have to put this at the bottom. I almost felt as if the hotel had been sold to a private owner who was simply running the hotel under the Doubletree name, or should I say running it into the ground.

Just to end this on a positive note, the location of the Hotel is amazing. It is directly across the street from a fantastic mall and lots of great restaraunts. Adjacent to the California State Fairgrounds too if you are coming in the summer.

• Liked — The location, bedding
  • Disliked — Lack of Wifi in rooms, the long hikes to get to the lobby, worn down furniture keeping me up at night
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

The Double Tree is right off the freeway across from a huge mall, with restaurants and other conveniences all around it. It is a sprawling property. We chose it because I've enjoyed Double Trees before, and this one allowed me to bring my little dog.

The room was fresh and clean, particularly since I assume we were in a designated pet room. The staff was friendly. They had some sort of teenagers convension going on, so there were odd posters saying things like, "Vote Bob Smith Leadership King" up in the halls. That was strange, but everything else was fine.

I'd recommend this hotel. We got a great rate on it for Thanksgiving weekend. I was happy with it.

• Liked — Pet friendly
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Burlington, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

I stayed here for 2 days on business and my fiance came along with me. It was a very comfortable hotel in a decent area. The room was comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bar had great food (best nachos ever)!

• Liked — It was comfortable, clean, and affordable. There was a good sized mall across the street for something to do.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

Hotel staff all very cooperative, but the days I was there, the outside temperature was around 100 degrees, and my room's AC couldn't keep up. The rooms are not individually cooled; apparently there is some kind of central cooling for all rooms and even hotel maintenance couldn't get the temperature to a comfortable level.

Another problem I had was that I have a handicap and need to be close to the lobby or at least the elevator. For some reason no one could explain, their handicap room was at least a quarter mile walk from the lobby. How they made that decision is beyond me.

Other than that, I would not hesitate to recommend it. Just don't go if you're handicapped or if it's August.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — AC didn't work
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
washington state
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

I was able to priceline this hotel for a friday night in August 08 for a $55 bid. I was with my daughter (4 years of age).

Like most double trees, the building branches out in 50 different directions, and are easy to get lost in. This is by no means a disadvantage, that would be just plain ridiculous. I know most people blow off/ignore directions from hotel staff, but you might want to listen closely this time around ;) While the hotel pictures are severely over-processed, it is a nice place i guess. A nice pool, gym, etc. Dare I say i have stayed at much more substantial "4 star" hotels, so I would not expect the world at this place.

The hotel was quite lively on a friday night. I would imagine that while a hotel bar/restaurant is probably not on the top of everyone's list, you could at least find something to pass the time if you are here by yourself or with adults.

Our room was clean and nicely appointed for the class of room, with the exception of the carpet -- it seemed to be showing its age. Not repulsive, but our particular room (55x) in the Folsom wing has seen more of its fair share of carpet stains. I am really reaching here though...the room was quite adequate.

We had brunch that morning at the hotel. I thought it was a bit overpriced for what was available, so I would suggest sticking with some of the menu items, unless you are a total buffet freak. Food was not bad, but not very memorable. The waitress was nice enough not to charge for my daughter.

Everyone at the hotel treated me nicely. It was a very uneventful stay, so I cannot say much else to the service.

One tip for guests: the hotel is close to the city, but quite confusing to get to from the sacramento airport. You may want to print those directions out. It involves a trip through downtown (?) -- or perhaps google was just taking me on some sort of joyride.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento? Share your experiences!