“All doubts wiped clean away.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
West Lafayette, Indiana
“All doubts wiped clean away.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I am now convinced that whoever has been giving negative reviews of this place is either impossible to please, or is a jealous competitor hotel. Hubby and I came for a conference. We were greeted energetically and cheerfully by the staff, and directed to our room which was amazingly spacious, and well policed. Beds tight as drums and spotless. Not a bedbug in sight then or ever. I am posting pictures of this, plus a split bathroom that was equally clean. Let this matter rest. There are NO BEDBUGS HERE.

The service we received was pronounced by my well-traveled husband as the best he has ever received anywhere. You couldn't even pass a custodian without them giving you a wide smile and a 'good morning'. We had forgotten toothbrushes and were brought them pronto. Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries, and soft, absorbent towels aplenty. Hair dryers and conditioner supplied.

But here's the kicker: The one problem with this hotel is the locqation. If you are courageous enough to figure out the transport system in Sac., which isn't that hard, there is no good way downtown except by taxi, which costs $20 one way. I had it in mind to visit a shop on the outskirts of town and was willing to get out there by public transport. But Ron the concierge told me HE WOULD TAKE ME OUT THERE HIMSELF AND COME GET ME WHEN I WAS READY, for the same price as one way. I have NEVER found service like that anywhere in the world, and from my profile, you can see I've been all over! Ron gets a standing ovation! He even took me downtown afterwards instead of back to the hotel, and from there I caught public transport home. This is not a service to be exploited. However, I was astonished it was even offered.

There is a yummy breakfast buffet, and an early bird dinner special for people coming from the east coast who feel peckish earlier than the natives.

The only other problem was the internet, which was spotty in the rooms. Minor. It is free in the business room. stay tuned for pictures.

Five stars, no problem. Good going!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear eleanorsky-

Thank-you for taking the time to respond on TripAdvisor! We appreciate the great feedback and comments! I am happy to will pass this review along to the entire staff; they will love to hear how we went above and beyond for our guest! Great job Ron! Thank-you again for responding and we look forward to your next visit to Sacramento! Safe Travels~

Kris Houser

Director of Revenue Management
916-929-8855 ext 4291

614 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Delta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I booked the room blindly through hotwire, and having no previous experience with Double Tree, I rushed to read the reviews on tripadvisor. The deal felt a bit too good to be true - a mere 50$ per night at a 3.5 star hotel in what was apparently a good location... Needless to say, as soon as I read the first reviews I panicked, and headed to the hotel expecting the worse.

What I found instead was a lovely hotel with a good AND cheap restaurant (at least compared to Vancouver prices), large and excellent rooms, and friendly service. The room itself was clean, had a fantastic bed, a good quality desk which made working a pleasure, a large (40+ inch?) LCD, and a spacious (although by no means huge) bathroom. The only thing missing was a mini-bar.

There are only two downsides to this hotel: 1) parking is not included in the price, nor is internet connectivity; 2) it is a bit far from the downtown conference centre, although if you have a car it's trivial to get there (a ~10 minute ride). Still, at 50$, you can't really go wrong. My wife and I highly recommend it.

Dear ccpop-

Thank-you for taking the time to respond on TripAdvisor! We appreciate the positive comments and feedback! We use these reviews as tools of training for our entire staff, so that we can improve upon our service scores! I will share this review with our entire team and we look forward to your next visit to Sacramento! Thank-you again and Safe Travels!

Kris Houser
Montreal, Quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Paid hotel parking anywhere except Manhattan and San Francisco is just an underhanded way for management to advertise one rate and charge another. Six bucks a night for parking plus ten bucks a night for internet access.

Pulling into the nearly empty parking lot you see "Valet Only" signs everywhere. When I pulled up to the entrance to check in, an employee directed me back out into the parking lot to a "15 minutes max" spot.

This is a gigantic sprawling complex of several buildings. At check in, I was presented with a map to find my room. For me, multiple separate buildings and parking lots = motel not 3 star hotel.

if you're lucky, your six bucks a night may buy you a parking space a 5 minute walk from one of the entrances (hope it's not raining). I had to haul my suitcases up a half flight of stairs to get in my building. The guy who checked in in front of me was informed that his building did not have an elevator and he was on the third floor. Not exactly 3 star material. The rear entrance to my building has no card key lock. I cannot remember seeing a another hotel have such an obvious security lapse.

The hotel looks as though it had a somewhat recent halfhearted remodel. My room has a flat screen (like almost every hotel these days) and a new looking carpet and drapes. The doors, locks and other hardware feel old and worn. The elevator is shaky and noisy.

The surprise parking fee makes me feel scammed and is enough to make me never come back but the weird layout and condition of the hotel would have turned me off regardless of the parking. I just had a 3 night stay at a Doubletree in San Diego and there is no comparison between the two properties.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Dear BdgBill-

Thank-you for your feedback on DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento! We have installed parking gates to help secure our lot from outside non-hotel guests. We will forward this response to our parking manager, so that there will be less confusion for future guests about our parking. Our hotel is unique in the fact that we were designed in the pinwheel shape, so that our guests can access all areas of the hotel with minimal outside exposure. We are continually making improvements to the hotel and hope that someday you might try us again and we can WOW you with your next visit! Thank-you!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

So I always read TA before staying somewhere and was somewhat horrified to read about bed bugs and old furnishings. I arrived and had none of these problems. Granted, there was one stairwell I walked up that smelled like summer camp, but apart from that, it was okay. The hotel is large and sprawling and I'm sure presents maintenance issues for some people. As a Diamond, I got free parking and breakfast, which was pretty good. The exercise room was nice with new equipment and TVs. The hotel is located on a main drag, right near a mall and chain retail establishments. I'd stay here again.

Dear GCC14173-

Thank-you for taking the time to review the DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento! We appreciate positive feedback and we will share your comments with our entire team! As a Hilton Honors guest, there are perks with every stay! We will search out that one stairwell and refresh. Thank-you again for letting us know your experience while in Sacramento!

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I just returned from 3 days at this hotel for business and was curious to know if other traveler's impressions of this place mirrored mine.... and they do. This hotel is old, shabby, hard to find (no sign on the front of the hotel), carpeting was filthy and stained, no wireless internet, and despite a giant empty parking lot you still had to pay for parking. I think it's funny that management posts responses on trip advisor regarding all the bad reviews, yet the hotel is STILL bad. I do have to say that the staff was really nice and the warm cookie at check in was a nice touch and the room was good sized, but i would NEVER stay here again.

Dear Baskaat-

Thank-you for taking the time to review the DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento! We are a large hotel spread out over 17 acres of land with multiple buildings. I am sorry the hotel was not up to par as expected. We are working on a new signage package for the entrance of the hotel and we have just completed an install of 37" flat screen with Direct HDTV satellite service to all guestrooms. We use these responses as a tool for improvement. Thank-you again for staying at our hotel and we hope that you can make your way here again!

Los Alamitos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I booked this hotel thru Expedia and was pleased with the initial price and location. That was about all that was good. My hotel room heater smelled like burnig plastic all night and my whole family work up with sore throats from it. The hotel tried to triple charge me for internet usage - and you actually had to plug your computer into the wall to receive the internet. (no wireless) The plug was to short to reach the bed, so was inconvenient. When I went to check out - I was notified of a $6.00 per night parking charge for their parking lot - Ok - where else was I supposed to park and we received one incoming phone call for 26 seconds which they charged me $6.07 for - I absolutley hate it when Hotels nickle and dime you for fees they do not disclose. When I complained about the smell in the room, the desk manager was less than helpful.. Won't stay again, even if it was a "good price"

Dear Winejunkies-

Thank-you for your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento! I am sorry that our desk manager did not meet your expectations regarding the issues during your stay. We missed our opportunity to WOW you! I wanted to let you know that we have refunded your credit card on file for your incidental charges and you should see a credit in your account in the next 7-10 business days. We hope that you may choose our hotel again in the future, when you travel back to the Sacramento area.

Chico, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

I stayed two nights at this hotel. The first night was for business, the second night my wife drove down to join me in Sacramento so that we could have a nice dinner at Enotria and go to the Crocker.

I actually liked this hotel. The meals I had in the hotel restaurant were all excellent (if pricy), and the staff was always very friendly. The rooms were nice (though no wifi) and 'clean'. Big HD TV. It was quiet and I slept well.

I thought we'd had a great experience... until we got home and my wife complained of several itchy bites on her back. A quick internet search determined that they were certainly from beg bugs. Wonderful. Now our house is probably infested. We tossed all of our clothes in the washer, but our coats and bags can't be washed. God only knows if we'll be itching for months because of this one night. Thanks Doubletree!

Bottom line: If you have any choice whatsoever, AVOID this hotel unless you want bed bugs. In that case, I can recommend it highly. The prime rib is great.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
DTSacramento, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear ATDunn- We would like to take this opportunity to thank-you for your response! We take these kinds of issues to heart and we will be researching this room. We do have preventive and maintenance procedures in place, should a pest such as this occur. We hope that, should you visit Sacramento again, that you may try our hotel.

Thank-you again~

DT Management

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Sacramento? Share your experiences!