“Average” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 83 Hotels in Sacramento
Santa Barbara, California
“Average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights on business and found it to be an average hotel, nothing great and nothing terrible. Location is good with easy access to I-5 and the downtown area. They were not to busy so it was quiet and rarely saw other guests, even at breakfast. Hotel is looking a lttle dated in the rooms and the a/c was a little noisy. Bed was comfortable and clean. Room was kept clean, and the staff were friendly. Breakfast was average, it fits the need for a quick meal in the morning. I would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
DowntownComfort, General Manager at Comfort Suites - Downtown, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
We sincerely appreciate your comments and are glad that you had a great stay with us.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
NEBRASKA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Location is good. Close to Old Sacramento and convenient to downtown.
Beds are a bit small. Rooms only have doubles and the sofabed is only a twin.
Hotel needs a little attention. A/C was very noisy, we always had to fiddle with the toilet to make it quit running, water pressure was low, hot tub was cold.
Will do for an overnight stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We really appreciate your feedback and rest assured that we made a point to revisit each room and check and fix the problems you identified. Once again thank you for bringing this up to our attention. We hope to make your and other guests stay 100% trouble free.
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

stayed for a wedding for family, rooms were spacious, housekeeping cleaned well, the blueberry waffles were new to me and i thought they were tasty. price was not too bad, overall the hotel is newer and perfect for staying over.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
We are glad that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. We further wish to thank you for taking the time to give us such positive comments.
Merced, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

After reading some of the reviews I was a bit skeptical of what we would find, but since they are one of the few hotels that offer two beds plus a sofa bed, I went ahead and booked one night at a decent price. The parking lot is tight and the sofa bed like a hammock but those would be my only complaints. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable, quiet, and everything worked fine. The sofa was nice for the kids to sit on instead of just beds. The clerks were polite and helpful. Breakfast included eggs, bacon, waffles plus the other standards and had an attendent. The breakfast room has six tables so worked fine for a not so full hotel but could be a problem at a busy time. We didn't see a single homeless person and the other hotels nearby looked well kept. I would stay here on an extended trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We really appreciate you staying with us. We know you have a choice and were glad we could take care of your hospitality needs.
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We spent a Friday night here in April 2012. The person who checked us in (I think his name was Aswhin) was wonderful and provided good advice for our evening walk/morning run. We asked for a two queen top floor room. They only had one King with a pull out sofa bed. The sofa bed was uncomfortable, which is the reason for the 4/5 rating. But it was on the top floor and was very clean and suitable. It was very quiet, even tho it's right next to I-5, we had a great view over the river. Breakfast was about average for this type of hotel. The river trail is right next to the hotel and was very convenient for our visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor on the river site of the hotel. You'll get a good view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DowntownComfort, General Manager at Comfort Suites - Downtown, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thankyou for your kind 4 star review. I just hope sofa sleepers could be more comfortable and when we do refresh our furniture, we will keep this in mind. I was happy to learn that Ashwin was able to help you during your stay. We do pride ourselves with a great location adjacent to both the Sacramento and American Rivers and the River walkway to Old Sacramento.
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

First of all, the rooms are pretty decent even though the hotel is located in a rather sketchy part of Sacramento. They also share a really busy parking lot with an Arco gas station, complete with more than a few homeless people wandering about.

What kills this place and makes you never want to stay here again? Look no further than the Owner/GM, Sharad. Initially you feel he's really concerned about your stay, but in reality he's all about monitoring his guests to a degree I've never experienced at any hotel before. Cameras everywhere, questions about what you're doing, where you're going, what you do for a living and how much breakfast you are eating, etc. It was very invasive, not a fan of being so heavily monitored while staying at a hotel.

The really odd occurrence was this... Needed to stay north of the city toward Citrus Heights for a few days and mentioned this to someone at the front desk. Sharad suggested that I stay @ Comfort Suites - Roseville. "Do you know the people there" I asked. "No... but I can call for you. It's a really nice place". Then I ask again. "Is that also your property". Again he responds... "No, but I hear it's nice". During this entire weirdness I felt something was up so I contacted the Comfort Suites - Roseville an hour later and the guy at the front desk tells me the property is owned by Sharad, who also owns the Comfort Suites - Downtown. Now why all this silliness? Why misrepresent yourself to a customer who has given you some business when both your hotels were so empty?

The only reason I didn't rate this hotel a single star is the bed was pretty comfortable and Antoinette and Ashland, both front desk clerks, were awesome. However... have ZERO tolerance for shenanigans and "simulated hospitality" by this Owner / GM.

At first, I wondered why this property was rated so low on Tripadvisor. They are # 47 in the city. Apparently, I found out why.

NOT recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
bardoli, Manager at Comfort Suites - Downtown, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered during your recent stay. We are trained to interact with guest and asking what brings you to town or why is part of a unique welcome gesture showing geniuine concern. Your comments clearly displays who was more invasive. To clear any misconception, I am the gm and not the owner.
Lancaster
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Stayed here with my children in early March of 2012. Worst hotel experience Ive had. Rooms are drab and dingy. Dirty bedspreads, spots everywhere. The shower would not drain. The toilet ran most of the night. Staff unfriendly and unhelpful. The most horrible part of my experience is that one of the employees stole my camera. When I asked if someone could check the monitor to see who took the camera, I was told that the cameras did not record the lobby area. There are cameras in all four corners of the lobby. When I pointed this out, the employee became fidgety and uncomfortable. I suspected she was being dishonest and knew exactly what happened to the camera. Upon trying to resolve this with the manager/or owner, he was no help at all. For a bit more than $100/per night, you can find a decent place to stay in the area with clean bedding, proper functioning plumbing, and honest helpful people. I would like to point out something a bit more positive: the kids loved that I could make them a waffle. This is the only positive comment that I can think of. Other than that, choose another hotel. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
I personally dealt with this issue as GM. Again, I did review the CCTV and no camera was left behind. We do get a lot of stuff left behind and we store these items for 90 days. I am deeply sorry you lost your camera and having taken the time to review our recorded tapes can tell you there was no camera at the place you said for anyone to have stolen it. It is always easy to place blame on others but as I suggested then, look for it elsewhere for we for sure do not have it. Your group as frequented us every year for the last 8 years and we have never had this problem before. Either way, I am sorry you lost your camera and really hope you find it.