“Perfect alternative to the slightly more expensive Holiday Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Executive Old Town
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   909 3rd St, Sacramento, CA 95814   |
Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Alameda, California
“Perfect alternative to the slightly more expensive Holiday Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Here for a conference and wanted to save a few bucks. This place is literally across the street from the Holiday Inn. They have a pool, a hot tub, free parking and wifi which works very well. I lucked out with a corner room overlooking an area featuring Chinese buildings/businesses and older folks doing their morning Tai Chi. When I arrived to the hotel at 8:30am and asked to just park my car there as I had a reservation for that night, my room was already available for check-in. Free breakfast available. The room itself has all the basic amenities you'd need. Front desk staff was courteous and extremely friendly. This place is a find and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a budget-friendly place in downtown Sacramento.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
msacoldtown, Front Office Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Old Town, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are delighted to hear that you so enjoyed staying with us, and that you were able to take advantage of your complementary full hot breakfast, free wifi, convenient location, lovely staff and reasonable prices! We hope that you will come stay with us again on your next visit to Sacramento.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Turkish first
Courtenay, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

It was the 4th night of our 3000 mile trip to Arizona when we made an online reservation for the Vagabond Inn in Sacramento. We were gratified to see from several hotel booking sites that they accept pets and had a good review from tripadvisor. We made our online reservation and received a confirmation. I had included that we have a 12lb. dog. So we gratefully drove into town, located the hotel and prepared to check in at the end of a long day.
We were told that they had tried to contact us on that very day...to let us know that they no longer accepted pets and we would have to find another place to stay or leave our pup in the car overnight. Well, fair is fair...any business has a right to restrict the access of pets but it only seemed fair to us that this hotel could have found alternate lodging for us... or made a one time exception for us...and possibly others who had not been told ahead of time that they no longer accept pets. This should have been done until all of the booking websites were changed to a no pets policy! The gal at the desk was very nice, offered to loan us a phone book and then let us go on our way....fuming....with no idea where we could go....but definitely... Not in Sacramento!!
ps: Sorry we could not rate any other part of this hotel as we never got past the front desk! :-{

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
msacoldtown, Front Office Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Old Town, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. We do apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately we are not a pet friendly hotel, and that you were mislead by other websites, but if you look on our home website it is plainly stated, and should be on all others. Our only option was to try to contact you, and inform you of this fact, we apologize that we were not able to make contact before your arrival at the hotel.
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Thank you to Trip Advisor for helping me find this GREAT hotel! It is next door to a hotel that is double the price, and although I had a little trouble finding it (the streets are confusing) I am so very glad I did. Every single staff member was over-the-top wonderful and helpful. Mayra at the front desk, Tracey who served breakfast, Dennis and Jose the shuttle drivers treated us like family. Complimentary shuttle service while I was traveling with my 80 year old mother was a fabulous surprise, but there is also free hot breakfast (excellent), exercise room, pool, and free parking. It's within walking distance of Old Sacramento but you can actually take a cheap city bus to the Capital and to Sutters Fort, the three big highlights of my trip there. Perko's restaurant next door allows carry out (with a smile). I could not believe my good fortune to find such a great hotel at such a fabulous price. Safe location too, everything is locked and gated and I did not feel threatened anywhere in the neighborhood. Would I stay there again? Oh my gosh YES, you bet!

Room Tip: My room was by the pool and exercise room, very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your singing review! We are delighted that you so enjoyed your stay with us, and that Mayra, Tracey, Dennis and Jose were able to make your feel like a part of our family. We are glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of so many of the wonderful services that we offer.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Sacramento!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Warm smiles and excellent hospitality. Lisa and Mayra made this stay one of the best places I have ever stayed in and I've been to many. Can't wait to go back it's home away from home. The free shuttle service great breakfast is awesome.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
msacoldtown, Front Office Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Old Town, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you for your singing review! We are overjoyed to hear that you so enjoyed your stay with us! We agree that Lisa and Mayra are wonderful ladies, and your complements will be passed along to them. We are glad you enjoyed our complementary shuttle and complementary full hot breakfast!

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Sacramento!
Inglewood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

[+]
great location for AMTRAK/old town
frugal price
solid staff
tracey who manages breakfast is friendly & knows the area well
ask her ?s but please TIP HER

[-]
hotel is old but well managed
a bit noisy but you should expect that with this location
breakfast is carb heavy so I just have tea

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
msacoldtown, Front Office Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Old Town, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for your kind review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoy staying with us. Tracey is truly a wonderful person, and invaluable staff member, we are glad you agree. We are currently working on improving our hotel by installing new 46 inch flat screen TVs in all the rooms and replacing the toilets in the rooms.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Sacramento.
Quincy, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I booked at the Vagabond Inn in Old Town as I had an early morning flight and I thought it would be nice to go to Old Town for dinner. Old Town was kind of disappointing but staying at the Vagabond made up for it. Check in with Mayra was a pleasant experience and I had a great night's sleep. The beds are soooo comfortable and the trip to the airport the next morning with Eric was a breeze.On my return I got in late and was picked up promptly at the airport.I was able to catch breakfast the next morning, Tracey singing in the kitchen got my day off to a good start and the breakfast was the best. Dennis took me to the train station. All around, the staff are very friendly, helpful and just plain happy. A joy to be around, I will definately come back. Best hotel experience ever.

Room Tip: Pool side is quieter than parking side
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your singing review! We are delighted to hear that you so enjoyed your stay with us, and that so many of our wonderful staff members were able to improve your experience! Mayra, Eric, Tracey and Dennis are quite delightful, we must agree. And we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Sacramento!
Vacaville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to find how well maintained this place is. The rooms have a large flat screen TV- it was perfect for the NFL playoffs! The service was excellent. A special "shout out" to Tracey and her sister who worked in the breakfast room. They were extra friendly and entertaining. I love the location; it's a 5 minute walk to Old Sacramento and minutes from many restaurants in downtown. It is worth a stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
msacoldtown, Front Office Manager at Vagabond Inn Executive Old Town, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for your kind review! We are elated that you enjoyed your stay with us, and of course Tracey and her sister, two truly wonderful women. We are glad that our new tv's and convenient locations were pleasing to you. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Sacramento.

Been to Vagabond Inn Executive Old Town? Share your experiences!