“Perfect Remedy after a HUGE Tragedy” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #44 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Sacramento, California
“Perfect Remedy after a HUGE Tragedy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I've been staying here for four months, following an accident at my own local home. I couldn't have been treated by more friendly, helpful, warm and caring people!! Every member of the staff recognized me after a few days and always greeted me with a smile. Bruiser (my dog) was totally welcome here and the staff worked around my schedule to care for my room. The room was perfect! I've never had a cleaner room, or excellent staff. Some of the staff have become friends. I couldn't have asked for a better remedy to a tragic accident than to have been introduced to the Residence Expo. I will be back to visit, and to stay after the upcoming remodel!!!

Room Tip: The 800 building is away from front desk traffic and close to the dog-park area...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Joseph D, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff and hotel. They work really hard to ensure every guests has a positive experience during their stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel accommodations.

Once again, thank you for postive comments. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
sac delta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Check in was great. Young lady working at the desk was very friendly and helpful. Explained everything about the hotel and services. Room was immaculate. Everything was neat and clean. Had the reception snacks and they were good. This is our third stay here and will be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Joseph D, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Good afternoon,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We really appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff and hotel. Everyone works really hard to make every guest feel welcome and special so it is nice for them to hear that their hard work has paid off. Once again, thank you. We look forward to having the opportunity of serving you again soon.

Regards,
North Hills
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I spent five days at the Residence Inn Cal Expo and I was somewhat disappointed. Overall, the rooms were clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. However, there were several little things that bugged me. For example, the ice maker in my refrigerator did not work. The refrigerator was quite loud and sounded like it was on its last legs. The desk was situated in a manner that caused the chair to be in the kitchen. In addition, I’m a big guy but the bed wasn’t, although I must say the linens were fresh and clean. The pillows were only so – so.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Joseph D, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Hello Robert,

Your comments to our Customer Care Department were forwarded to my attention. Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your most recent stay. Feedback such as yours is invaluable for monitoring our operations.

I deeply apologize for the issues you encountered with your refrigerator and the placement of the desk and the inconvenience caused to you. I shared your comments with our Chief Engineer regarding the refrigerator. He is currently in the process of getting the issue resolved so similar situations like yours do not occur in the future. I am pleased to inform you that the hotel will upgrading all the room appliances this summer.

Again, my apologies! We highly value your patronage and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Regards,

Joseph Delgado
Ivanhoe, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This residence inn I understand is in the process of being updated. the room my wife and I stayed in had what appeared to be new appliances and the bed was very comfortable. the carpet was a little worn but not necessarily bad just has been there awhile. the parking can be a bit of a challenge later in the evening if the hotel is somewhat full. the morning breakfast was a little disappointing. We stayed there 4 nights and three of the four mornings the "meat" was sausage patties. the "hashbrowns" were either overcooked or soggy. I have stayed here before and usually the breakfast was changed up fairly good, but not this time. I was not able to partake in the nightly happy hour because my wife and I were going to different events in the evenings.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Joseph D, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Residence Sacramento Cal Expo for your most recent stay. Feedback such as yours is invaluable for monitoring our operations.

I deeply apologize for the issues you encountered with our breakfast and the inconvenience caused to you during your stay. I know the kitchen staff works very hard to ensure every guest has a memorable experience. I will work closely with our staff to ensure we are following our rotational calendar and guidelines for cooking food items, so similar situations such as yours do not occur in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback. I truly hope one day we will have the pleasure of serving you again.
Eureka, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This hotel really is overpriced. The rooms are worn and they aren't taken care of. The furnace control was locked, so I had to heat the room with the oven. The breakfast was great except it was dirty. That is he counters where the food was. I was really surprised.
They do have nice white wine for happy hour. It is hard to believe this hotel is a marriot. The check in was fine

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Joseph D, Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is feedback such as yours that helps us refine and fine-tune our operation. I am sorry that you found your room overpriced and that you experienced difficulty with your thermostat. It is our intention to provide a seemless stay for our gusts and I will make sure to pass this along to our engineer. As far as pricing, we do price competitively to the market we are in. We participate in a couple programs in the area that help keep our nightly rate on track with our competitors.

In regards to the cleanliness of our buffet line, I apologize that during your stay you found it dirty. I know our kitchen staff work really hard to make sure our guests have a pleasant breakfast experience. We will definitley passon your feedback so that they can make it a priority to clean the line more frequently.

Thanks again for your feedback and please try us again later this year to experience our brand new room!
South Lake Tahoe, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Sometimes you end up in a hotel not for business, or travel or pleasure, but because your normal life in your own home no longer is possible. My 85 year old mother, a resident of Sacramento was evacuated from her home when a leaking water heater burst and flooded the property. It was our lucky day when the insurance company placed her at the Residence Inn, Marriott, Cal Expo.
The property is located about two miles off Highway 50, or about a mile and a half off Highway 80, just below (or above) Arden Way. Restaurant, shopping, and entertainment options are within walking distance, or an easy drive away. Reading reviews of this property, there is a recurring theme that the furnishing may be tired, the property in need of an update. WOW even a photo of a slightly frayed carpeting provided by a reviewer. Those comments seem to miss the point of this gem of an Inn. (NOTE: The property is scheduled for upgrading and redecorating later this year for those who judge a book by the cover.)
Starting with the checkin - efficient, polite, warm, gracious, welcoming - especially important for the travel weary, or those in shock of leaving their home. The rooms are spacious and completely furnished - including the kitchen, offering pots and pans, dishes and cutlery. Abundant, thick towels. Beds are deliciously comfortable, including the pull down murphy bed. In spite of busy Howe Ave. that fronts the property - suites are quiet and easy to encourage restful sleep. A modest exercise room (two top of the line tread mills and a serviceable elliptical machine), outdoor pool with a good sized spa, and an outdoor gas grill complete the property. Full, unlimited breakfasts are delicious - menus change daily - from eggs florentine, biscuits and gravy, breakfast burritos - yogurts, waffles, scrambled eggs juices always are available. Thank you chef/hostess Darling Violet; and four nights a week, thanks to Sweet Susan, light dinners with wine or beer included are offered at no additional charge. The dining room feels like a European breakfast room - strangers chat and visit - making communal tables and single visitors warmly welcomed.
As in any business, management sets the tone - and Ashley; Regan; Mary Jo; Oksana (and forgive me for forgetting many names) are great models for all their employees. A displaced birthday celebration was turned into an unforgettable family reunion with out of town family members staying on property and being welcomed for one, two and three nights. The hotel will grocery shop for you on a list you provide by 9:00 AM.
When our stay is finished, we will have been guests at the Residence Inn for almost two months - sometimes people say - "company is like fish - after three days it is time to toss it". Just the opposite is true here. Be it business, vacation or necessity, after three days you fall in love with the property and the staff. Thanks Marriott Cal Expo - you are a jewel.

Room Tip: For extra quiet and convenience ask for a rear room or suite, close to the parking.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. You and your mom have been such a pleasure to have around and we consider you a part of our Residence Inn family. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff here. They work really hard to make every guest feel welcome and special so it is nice for them to hear that their hard work has paid off. Thanks again.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Residence Inns are our favorite places to stay for extended family vacations. I wish there was a 3-1/2 rating (Good, not Very Good, but better than Average), because the service was good and that means a great deal to us.

Sacramento was the 3rd leg in our annual holiday trek, and our longest stay (5 nights). We reserved in the Arden-area Residence Inn because the one we stayed in last year posted much MUCH higher room rates this year. We called en route from San Francisco to ask if there was any way to get an early check-in, since our car was full of luggage and Christmas gifts, and we had more shopping to do. The front desk clerk checked her room availability and responded almost immediately that there were plenty of open rooms, and that we should come right in. We thanked her and said that we would be there in about an hour.

My disappointment came after entering our room. It was not what I had expected. We have reserved one-bedroom units, two-bedroom units, and loft units for our traveling groups of between 4 and 6 in the past. I seem to remember there always being at least one sleeping room with a door. The penthouse unit we rented had a loft at the top of some very steep stairs (the girls ran up and claimed it immediately), and a double-sized (Queen-sized? Is this different?) Murphy bed in the living room. I returned to the front desk to ask if there was a different configuration of the room, and she said that there was not.

The Murphy bed was not comfortable - especially for two adults, and except for the lack of a bar in the middle of your back, it felt just like a sofa bed. With the bed pulled down, there was insufficient space to sit squarely at the desk (I worked most every morning while the rest of the family slept), or to get around to the downstairs bathroom. The girls' king-sized bed, on the other hand, was very comfortable. Too bad for the parents!

There were two decent bathrooms (with doors), the fireplace was nice, although matches would have been helpful. The kitchen was sparsely appointed by comparison to similar properties. The drapes were fine, but the sheers inside were weather-worn and tearing. The sofa had a visible stain on it, so we just avoided sitting on it. The fire alarm started beeping the first day we were there, and my husband passed one of the hotel engineers on his way back from getting a new battery at the front desk. He said that he would have been happy to come in and replace the battery, as I am sure he would have done with our plugged toilet if it hadn't cleared after the 10th flush.

Because our gifts were everywhere, we did not have housekeeping in during our stay. We did have one knock on our door (the DND sign had fallen off), and the housekeeper offered to trade out our towels for us. Another saw us unloading boxes from our car and offered to help get them to the room. We did not accept her offer, but were hugely impressed with the gesture.

We were out late most nights, so did not take advantage of the spaghetti dinner, and slept through breakfast most days. Some of our family members did go down to breakfast on a couple of the mornings and said that it offered more than a continental.

All in all, the location had easy access to all freeways, and was very convenient for us to visit family in all corners of the county/counties. There seemed to be a lot of "street" people in the area, but we never saw any of them on hotel property and our car remained undisturbed. I see in other reviews that this property will be undergoing some renovations, and that would make it very attractive for a return stay (in a 2-bedroom unit, not penthouse loft).

Room Tip: Be sure you are clear that the penthouse "suite" is a completely open space, and does not...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Joseph D, Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and Thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to Sacramento. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the srevice from our staff here. We take pride in providing excellent and welcoming service to all of our guests. Our property is a little tired but the rumors are true, we are getting a renovation next year! We are so excited to present a new product to our guests and a new congifuration of our suites. We will no longer have the murphy beds in our penthouses as well. So please try us again the next time you guys come to Sacramento because I am sure our new rooms will not disappoint you.

Been to Residence Inn Sacramento Cal Expo? Share your experiences!