“Hostile desk clerks” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sacramento Inn & Suites

You added Sacramento Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Sacramento Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1401 Arden Way, Suite 1, Sacramento, CA 95815 (Formerly Clarion Inn)   |
Ranked #63 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Eugene, Oregon
“Hostile desk clerks”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel changed management -- or at least the name -- since my last stay, but the experience was even worse than before. Another reviewer states that "new owner and management are trying;" I saw no evidence of that. Making the reservations was an exercise in futility; every time I called, I was put on hold for 5 minutes at a time. I was only able to make reservations after lodging a complaint. Upon checking in to the room, we discovered that there were no garbage cans, and towels were provided for 2 persons, although there were 3 of us who had reserved the room. I tried to call the front desk: the phone was dead. I went to the front desk, and the clerk was overtly hostile. We eventually got one garbage can [the second one, promised for the bathroom, never arrived], and towels. The one bright star was Dennis, the maintenance man. He could not get the phone to work, but at least he tried. Several of the electrical outlet did not work. We had a patio, but no patio furniture. Bottom line: there is absolutely no reason to stay here. Other hotels in the area want the business, and they will get mine in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Sacramento Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to apologize on behalf or all of the staff for not exceeding your expectations. There is no excuse for the issues you had during your stay. For the maintenance issues we have implemented a preventive maintenance program that will prevent any issues in your room, and we have given the housekeeping staff some more training to make sure they know how many towels are required per room. Again I do apologize and we hope you might give us another change in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Rensselaerville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

New owner and management are trying. The room I had was very nice, as expected of Clarion. There was one malfunction problem, but was taken care of within 10 minutes. When the lobby computer I was using did not work with the printer to print out my boarding passes, the manager took me to his office to use his computer and printer. They went out of their way to be helpful in other ways also. When i found out I had to have my rental car returned the night before I left, they arranged for a ride back to the motel. There are some snags from taking over a different system, but they are working on getting everything done and are willing to do whatever to accommodate.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building where the check in is located have been completed. they are still workin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Sacramento Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are making all efforts to keep our guests happy at all time. We are glad you noticed are willingness to do so. We are, as you mentioned working out some of the changes still but most everything is completed. Thank you so much for staying with us and we all hope to see you again soon.
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Re: Clarion/Extended Stay - This place is AWFUL! First there are hookers (and their pimps) all over the place with johns coming and going at all times of the night. The rooms (supposedly non-smoking) reeked of smoke. Its a value hotel so ok, goes with the territory. I had a package sent to me in an emergency and it was delivered on USPS on a Monday, and I was due to check out on Tuesday. I visit the front desk on Monday, they say nothing has come, even though delivery confirmation said it had been signed for/scanned that morning - i visit front desk on Tuesday as Im checking out and they said nothing has come, so I speak to the Manager and she assures me that when the package comes, she will call me. Fast forward a couple days to Thursday and I call the front desk and its there - fantastic! I get there to pick it up...and its open! The outer package is open, in inside package protecting the part was open. So I speak to the manager who checked me in and she says....oh, the person who was in your room opened it by mistake (lie #1) and then oh, its I called you and left a message (I never received a call OR message) - finally I spoke to another new incoming manager and he told me he saw the package in the cleaning people room when he was first hired that Tuesday. So not only is the front office and cleaning people colluding together and opening patrons mail (im sure to see if its valuable - which luckily it was not) but the managers lie lie lie and cover them up. Definitely letting BBB and every review site I can find know about this. It would have been that big of deal, since I got my package with contents, but its the lying from the managers and I was even hung up on at some point by one of them (female). Horrible customer service. Weak management. This place is garbage from top to bottom. Stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Sacramento Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. On behalf of the entire team I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We have offered to compensate you for any damages that might have been done to your package. We hope you might give us another change in the near future.
Lake Forest, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were in Sacramento for a wedding. I had an evening gown, two long dresses and a coat. I openned the closet door and found a wall and a two foot maybe high openning down by the floor. I also found an old TV armoire that was about 2 foot high. I called the front desk to tell them that I needed a closet and that there wasn 't one in the room. She sent someone to check. Did she think it was stolen? Half of the hotel was empty, but apparently there was not a room with a closet. She finally found a handicapped room on the first floor, which was very nice on her third try. These people need to get their act together.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool. They are nice with a sliding door and a small patio.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Sacramento Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I do agree with you that the closets are small. When they did the renovations, and added central heating and air. they took up some closet space. As you mentioned we do have some rooms still with a closet. I hope to see you again soon in the near future.
Winston Salem
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This place is extemely hard to find! When reservations were made it was the Red Lion Inn & we got there & the first building you see (once you actually find the place) has a big sign draped on it "Extended Stay, Meal Plans Available" which gave us a not too good feeling. All rooms are old school - motel style, no interior corridors & by the way no elevators either! The staff at the front desk were very accomodating, we asked to see another room because we were 3 people in one room & were on top of each other w/wedding attire for 3 people. The a/c unit is in the closet so you only have about 6 inches of closet space. The room was musty smelling, when the a/c cycled on it was so loud you would wake up. Some of the sheets had holes in them. The room had been cheaply updated. We did each get a made to order, hot cooked breakfast & the waitress was very nice. This hotel could be very nice if the new owners would take it to the next level. We were told the rooms were refurbished but the beds were not new, the walls were painted but but when the wallpaper was removed the walls were not properly preparared for painting so it looks awful, in other words a hack job. The bath room has an exhaust window meaning a old school louvered window to let the steam out & whoever is walking by can hear you cursing this place. The TV was old school - NOT a flat screen. My sister said If you want a microwave or a refrigerator, ask for one at the front desk, but we only stayed one night so I don't know if they deliver it to your room or what. The lobby is huge but it needs a serious overhaul too.

Room Tip: If you have children there is a pool. If you like to party at night there is a bar & dancing...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Sacramento Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We are still in the process of upgrading the hotel. We have just recently converted to a Clarion Inn and have some plans for updating. We would like to thank you for mention the front desk for their great service and the server. We hope you might come back in the future to see some of the upgrades we have done.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hotel appears to be well maintained and the location was amazing. Very close to downtown, large shopping centre and many places to eat. The hotels restaurant was also very nice, I can only attest to having breakfast and lunch. There is also plenty of parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lisa M, Guest Relations Manager at Sacramento Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and where able to have a great meal in our restaurant. We hope to see you again whenever you’re back in Sacramento!
New Meadows, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

In defense of this property it is in transition and is to become part of the Choice Hotels Group. First the Good and that would be the price and the location. The rooms were well appointed and the beds comfortable The Bad would be that the restoration was not complete and the doors, which open out into the hallway needed to be replaced and the safety lock did not work and looking at it had probably never worked. The faucets and fixtures in the bath had not been replaced and looked to be original to the property. The ??? would be the distance from the lobby to the building where my room was. I understand it is not going to be part of the Choice move, but will become an Extended Stay type facility. If you wanted to use the pool, lounge or dining room it was a walk away. The Internet did not always work and I returned to my room to find two bath towels spread out over the shower curtain bar. I had left the towels I used on the floor as instructed and I was not sure why these towels were where they were and not folded and placed on the towel rack.

Room Tip: Probably stay in the main part of the property
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry we did not exceed your expectations. As you said we are in the process of converting to the Clarion Inn and the building you were in is not part of the hotel anymore so the pool and restaurant will be really close to sleeping rooms. I hope that you will come and see us again in the near future to take a look at some of the upgrades we have done.

Been to Sacramento Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!