You added Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Leisure Lane, Sacramento, CA 95815 (Formerly Woodlake Hotel Sacramento)   |
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Manteca, California
“Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We were in Sacramento for the RV show and stayed here two nights. Lovely Hotel and Restaurant. The Geese were our morning alarm clocks and just loved sitting on the patio and watching them. Such a nice place to relax. We had dinner at their restaurant, Basils by the Lake and the food was excellent. Sure wish they had calamari steak. The staff at the restaurant and hotel were very nice. Our room was comfortable and very clean. Will definately recommend this Hotel. I loved the peace and quiet. The complimentary breakfast was outstanding.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Waterfront room on the first floor. We stayed in room #145 and although it was...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your recommendation and lovely review of Woodlake Hotel Sacramento. It sounds as though you had a perfect weekend getaway; comfortable, peaceful, entertaining geese and great food to enjoy. We sincerely hope that you will return soon to the Sacramento area and allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Fortaleza, CE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Groups regularly use this hotel (well, motel) for group functions due to its several large conference rooms, which apparently are hard to find in the area (we got this from organizers of the conference my wife was attending). For the individual traveler, there is little reason to stay here. The location is not horrible-- several chains have branches in the area and while there is not shopping or restaurants within easy walking distance, there are lots of places nearby-- but the fact that there are only exterior corridor rooms, and no eleators to the second floor in this sprwling complex, as well as the general condition of the rooms, lessens the appeal. When I asked if we could get assistance with our bags, the receptionist said they could ask the shuttle bus driver to help when he returned. We didn't feel unsafe in our room, but neither did we feel the room was worth the standard rate (we got a small discount through the conference my wife was attending; we stayed in an "executive water view room," not in one of their "standard" rooms). There is no real breakfast included in the rate, but you do get vouchers to use in the small eatery that sells coffee, muffins and such. No place to sit unless you find a place in the large recpetion areas. If you want to eat in the restaurant, you have to pay.

We were not troubled by train noise, but on our second night, after the my wife's conference ended, the hotel hosted a large social function (appeared to be perhaps a school reunion party) in its bar area. That was far from our room, but late at night several people gathered in the room below ours and made quite a racket, complete with blaring music. We called hotel security, who sent someone else, but that just got the neighbors to turn off the music. Loud talking, etc. kept up until 4 a.m. What puzzled us is why they put so many guests in close proxmity to each other, on a night when the hotel appeared largely empty (judging by the number of empty parking spaces). Maybe it made things easier for houekeeping (no long stretches between rooms).

Bottom line: you can do better at the same cost.

Room Tip: The waterview rooms are a tad closer to the train tracks, but may be a better buy. At least you get...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
We value the feedback and opinions of our guests and we thank you for sharing yours with us. We would like to announce that our hotel now offers a complimentary breakfast buffet which is served daily from 6:30 am till 10:30 am. The disruption you encountered from other hotel guests is regrettable and we appreciate the opportunity you gave us to tend to the issue. We hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.
Emeryville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed here overnight with our 12 year old who was attending a function being held at this hotel. The Woodlake is a bit isolated and there are no restaurants within walking distance. Check in was quick and smooth. Our room was in the 200's which is quite close to the lobby - and much appreciated since the 12 year olds were able to go back & forth without our escort.

However, the hotel is a bit dated. Upon entering our king suite, there was a musty smell. Also, their suite is a bit misleading. We wanted a suite so that my daughter & her friend would have a separate area where they could be up talking all night. Well this wasn't the case, their idea of a suite was just a bigger inside area, with no patio. We've been other places and suites always have the separate bedroom area. There were no extra towels or blankets in the room. The free internet was a BIG plus and very much appreciated.

We were looking for a nice sit down dinner while the two girls attended an event. The only place in the hotel we found was Basil's by the Lake, which was a buffet. The services was good, the food left much to be desired. Only two entrees which were basic, some sides, two types of salads, cold bread and desserts. There was no chocolate in the desserts! Who serves desserts and does not even have one chocolate offering! Java Coast was closed very early.

The fountain, albeit beautiful in the daytime, cannot be seen at night. It does need to have some lighting installed - sure hope management reads this. Also the area leading up to the room, needs some cleaning. The rails have an accumulation of dust. It's just an OK place to stay if you want to be alone. Not much to do and nothing really spectacular about the place. We won't be returning.

Room Tip: If a woman traveling alone, make sure to request a room close to the lobby
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
It is disappointing when a guest leaves feeling that they did not have all their expectations met. We do encourage guests to share any concerns with us at the time of the stay so that we may immediately address any concerns. It is regrettable that we did not have the opportunity to create a better overall experience for you, but your feedback is greatly appreciated and your suggestions will be shared with our team. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The Woodlake is a very pleasant, restful jewel located just a mile or so from Arden Fair and CalExpo. We went there for an event this weekend. We didn't know anything about it. Had never heard about it. The architecture reminded us of resorts in the Palm Springs area, just two stories high with the main lodging focusing on a small lake with a large fountain in the middle. The effect is to isolate you from the urban surroundings that surround the resort. The restaurant offers tables overlooking the lake. The pool and hot tub spa are adjacent to the lake making for a very serene setting.

The resort has three types of units - single story 50's motel like units away from and out of site of the pool, small rooms with a view of the lake, and very nice units with patios that overlook the lake. The difference in price is about $30. Go for the executive units. You're here to enjoy the setting and relax. Spend the extra money so that you can really kick back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $30 or so for the better units. They're worth the price. Ask for a 2nd floor suite...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
It's always a treat to be pleasantly surprised! We are thrilled that you found the Woodlake Hotel Sacramento to be, as you put it, a restful jewel and are delighted that your stay was such a positive experience. Our onsite restaurant, Basil's by the Lake, does have lakeside dining and offers California-fresh and Northern Italian selections. We hope that while you were with us you had the chance sample the cuisine, along with the views. Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us and we hope you can visit us again soon!
Concord, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Stayed at the Woodlake twice in the last few months, getting a bargain online rate, while visiting family in the Sacramento area. In June, it was the Radisson. It's since gone back to the old Woodlake name. On check-in, I asked when the Radisson sold it and the clerk told me it had never been owned by Radisson --- "it was just a name, not an ownership."

OK. We'll see if the hotel is returned to the grand days of old, having been opened in the 60's, as a sprawling garden-style hotel with an old resort feel.

In both cases (June and last week), I had clean, well-decorated/appointed rooms with a sleep number bed (two doubles this last time). Fun to play with the controls, to see what my perfect sleep number was.

I had no problems or complaints about the room interiors themselves. They had desks, comfy office chairs, a flat screen TV in an armoire with drawers, coffee unit, pewter accessories (ice bucket, tray, lamps, etc.) large closet, iron/board, clean bath/shower, etc. Yes, the place is dated but both of my rooms were fine, especially for what I paid. The parking is free -- AND -- so is the wireless, which is high on my list of priorities.

The issues that were of concern to me is that both nights I was there, I was in an outlying building (300-series, not the further away 500 series) and --- coming back in the dark after dinner --- it was a bit scary.

The first room (June) was in the interior courtyard of the secondary building (not the main) where you have to leave your car way out in the parking lot and walk through dark corridors into the open area, where it's not well lit either. It's quite a walk in the dark. It also seemed like nobody was there but me.

Last week, I called ahead and requested to be closer to the lobby. That didn't happen but I got room 348 which was at least on the parking lot so I could park my car right at my door. Any single women traveling there should make note of this. This time, the scariest thing that happened was that there was a very large skunk sauntering through the parking lot, right opposite my car (under the bushes). Fortunately, he didn't seem too agitated. The hotel is in an unpopulated business/industrial area, so there are open areas around (as opposed to restaurants, shopping, etc).

As others have said, there is a train noise at night but because I can hear a train from my house in the SF Bay Area, I welcome that noise and it didn't seem loud or intrusive. Anyone who is noise-sensitive should be aware of that however.

Other than being out in no-man's land in a very spread out complex -- and the two closest vending machines being empty -- I had no problems and enjoyed my spacious, clean, comfortable room. I did not eat there nor was I attending a conference. Seemed like there might have been a large conference the next morning, as the parking lot was packed, compared to the empty lot the night before.

The central area is attractive with the lake and all, but it's hard to relate to that, being out aways. It would be nice if the hotel did some updating on the grounds (and maybe some of the other rooms?) and restored its potential. Also, why the vending machines would be empty is beyond me --- seems like lack of thorough maintenance?

Room Tip: Single female travelers should ask to see a map (one is provided) and ensure their room is near the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
We are so glad that you found both of your visits at Woodlake Hotel Sacramento to be comfortable and of a good value. Thank you for mentioning some of the room amenities; we’re delighted you enjoyed them. Our hotel takes our guest’s safety concerns seriously; therefore we will share your comments with management in regards to the lighting in some areas of our property. We hope that you will return again, as we would love to welcome you back for a third stay.
Yreka, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

It's a 2000.00 bed in a 20 dollar room. The sleep number bed is wonderful. However, the carpet was dirty, the room smelled like dirt...old and musty, and the bathroom had an old moldy tub. you could tell it was an old hotel that they did a few upgrades to and said "it's better than it was". I wanted to change my room ( I checked in at 2pm on a wednesday!!) and they told me all the rooms were already full and if I wanted to change my room I'd have to upgrade (more money). I should have done it...but I wasn't convinced it would be any better in another room. As it was I bought some air freshener and sprayed and sprayed so I could sleep. Other people at the convention I was at had the same complaint. It was inexpensive, but I'd rather pay a little more and have a nice room. We had breakfast and lunch at the convention (provided by the hotel) at the breakfast they gave us bread plates to use to gather our fruit and eggs. Yes!!! Bread plates. It was really ridiculous to think that fruit and eggs will fit on a bread plate. But by and large, the worst thing was the musty OLD MOTEL SMELL and dirty tub, and dirty lightswitches. Never again. I will stay somewhere else next time!

Room Tip: If you stay there, upgrade and stay away from the train...it goes all hours of the night!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
While we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Sleep Number by Select Comfort bed, it was disappointing to learn that the rest of your stay was not as enjoyable. We value all feedback, as it gives us great insight to the areas that may need more of our attention. Thank you for sharing these points with us and we hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Eureka/Fortuna/Hydesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Good location (not great), big clean rooms, older hotel. I got it through a hotwire 3-star deal in the arden area. It was a little further away from the mall than I thought.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Thank you for your review as we greatly appreciate hearing from our guests. We're happy that you mentioned our spacious rooms as well as our location. The Woodlake Hotel Sacramento is located just five minutes from the California State Capitol, Old Sacramento and the Arden Fair Mall in Sacramento. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Been to Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento? Share your experiences!