“Pleasant surprise in Sacramento.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento

Save Saved
You added Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Leisure Lane, Sacramento, CA 95815 (Formerly Woodlake Hotel Sacramento)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Summer Free Night Offer
Ranked #58 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
California
“Pleasant surprise in Sacramento.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The Woodlake is a very pleasant, restful jewel located just a mile or so from Arden Fair and CalExpo. We went there for an event this weekend. We didn't know anything about it. Had never heard about it. The architecture reminded us of resorts in the Palm Springs area, just two stories high with the main lodging focusing on a small lake with a large fountain in the middle. The effect is to isolate you from the urban surroundings that surround the resort. The restaurant offers tables overlooking the lake. The pool and hot tub spa are adjacent to the lake making for a very serene setting.

The resort has three types of units - single story 50's motel like units away from and out of site of the pool, small rooms with a view of the lake, and very nice units with patios that overlook the lake. The difference in price is about $30. Go for the executive units. You're here to enjoy the setting and relax. Spend the extra money so that you can really kick back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $30 or so for the better units. They're worth the price. Ask for a 2nd floor suite...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
It's always a treat to be pleasantly surprised! We are thrilled that you found the Woodlake Hotel Sacramento to be, as you put it, a restful jewel and are delighted that your stay was such a positive experience. Our onsite restaurant, Basil's by the Lake, does have lakeside dining and offers California-fresh and Northern Italian selections. We hope that while you were with us you had the chance sample the cuisine, along with the views. Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us and we hope you can visit us again soon!

225 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Martinez, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Stayed at the Woodlake twice in the last few months, getting a bargain online rate, while visiting family in the Sacramento area. In June, it was the Radisson. It's since gone back to the old Woodlake name. On check-in, I asked when the Radisson sold it and the clerk told me it had never been owned by Radisson --- "it was just a name, not an ownership."

OK. We'll see if the hotel is returned to the grand days of old, having been opened in the 60's, as a sprawling garden-style hotel with an old resort feel.

In both cases (June and last week), I had clean, well-decorated/appointed rooms with a sleep number bed (two doubles this last time). Fun to play with the controls, to see what my perfect sleep number was.

I had no problems or complaints about the room interiors themselves. They had desks, comfy office chairs, a flat screen TV in an armoire with drawers, coffee unit, pewter accessories (ice bucket, tray, lamps, etc.) large closet, iron/board, clean bath/shower, etc. Yes, the place is dated but both of my rooms were fine, especially for what I paid. The parking is free -- AND -- so is the wireless, which is high on my list of priorities.

The issues that were of concern to me is that both nights I was there, I was in an outlying building (300-series, not the further away 500 series) and --- coming back in the dark after dinner --- it was a bit scary.

The first room (June) was in the interior courtyard of the secondary building (not the main) where you have to leave your car way out in the parking lot and walk through dark corridors into the open area, where it's not well lit either. It's quite a walk in the dark. It also seemed like nobody was there but me.

Last week, I called ahead and requested to be closer to the lobby. That didn't happen but I got room 348 which was at least on the parking lot so I could park my car right at my door. Any single women traveling there should make note of this. This time, the scariest thing that happened was that there was a very large skunk sauntering through the parking lot, right opposite my car (under the bushes). Fortunately, he didn't seem too agitated. The hotel is in an unpopulated business/industrial area, so there are open areas around (as opposed to restaurants, shopping, etc).

As others have said, there is a train noise at night but because I can hear a train from my house in the SF Bay Area, I welcome that noise and it didn't seem loud or intrusive. Anyone who is noise-sensitive should be aware of that however.

Other than being out in no-man's land in a very spread out complex -- and the two closest vending machines being empty -- I had no problems and enjoyed my spacious, clean, comfortable room. I did not eat there nor was I attending a conference. Seemed like there might have been a large conference the next morning, as the parking lot was packed, compared to the empty lot the night before.

The central area is attractive with the lake and all, but it's hard to relate to that, being out aways. It would be nice if the hotel did some updating on the grounds (and maybe some of the other rooms?) and restored its potential. Also, why the vending machines would be empty is beyond me --- seems like lack of thorough maintenance?

Room Tip: Single female travelers should ask to see a map (one is provided) and ensure their room is near the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
We are so glad that you found both of your visits at Woodlake Hotel Sacramento to be comfortable and of a good value. Thank you for mentioning some of the room amenities; we’re delighted you enjoyed them. Our hotel takes our guest’s safety concerns seriously; therefore we will share your comments with management in regards to the lighting in some areas of our property. We hope that you will return again, as we would love to welcome you back for a third stay.
Yreka, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

It's a 2000.00 bed in a 20 dollar room. The sleep number bed is wonderful. However, the carpet was dirty, the room smelled like dirt...old and musty, and the bathroom had an old moldy tub. you could tell it was an old hotel that they did a few upgrades to and said "it's better than it was". I wanted to change my room ( I checked in at 2pm on a wednesday!!) and they told me all the rooms were already full and if I wanted to change my room I'd have to upgrade (more money). I should have done it...but I wasn't convinced it would be any better in another room. As it was I bought some air freshener and sprayed and sprayed so I could sleep. Other people at the convention I was at had the same complaint. It was inexpensive, but I'd rather pay a little more and have a nice room. We had breakfast and lunch at the convention (provided by the hotel) at the breakfast they gave us bread plates to use to gather our fruit and eggs. Yes!!! Bread plates. It was really ridiculous to think that fruit and eggs will fit on a bread plate. But by and large, the worst thing was the musty OLD MOTEL SMELL and dirty tub, and dirty lightswitches. Never again. I will stay somewhere else next time!

Room Tip: If you stay there, upgrade and stay away from the train...it goes all hours of the night!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
While we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Sleep Number by Select Comfort bed, it was disappointing to learn that the rest of your stay was not as enjoyable. We value all feedback, as it gives us great insight to the areas that may need more of our attention. Thank you for sharing these points with us and we hope that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Eureka/Fortuna/Hydesville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Good location (not great), big clean rooms, older hotel. I got it through a hotwire 3-star deal in the arden area. It was a little further away from the mall than I thought.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
WoodlakeHotel, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Thank you for your review as we greatly appreciate hearing from our guests. We're happy that you mentioned our spacious rooms as well as our location. The Woodlake Hotel Sacramento is located just five minutes from the California State Capitol, Old Sacramento and the Arden Fair Mall in Sacramento. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I called directly to the hotel early in the day, to ask for a quiet room. When I arrived I found they put me next to the ice machine. After noticing the location, I requested another room.

The new room might have been quiet. The heater fan made a lot of noise. I also told the front desk that there was an occassional beep, I thought it was the smoke alarm battery. I requested, the noises be fixed the next morning, but that repairs did not happen during my two night stay. Turning off the heater stopped the fan noise. But the beep remained.

Coming back at night, there seemed to barracades at the main roadway to the rooms. There was also a guard. My key would not open the health club. I am not sure if they are having security problems.

Room Tip: I do noty recommend room 544.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your dismay with regards to the noise issue is certainly understandable and we thank you for bringing it to our attention. We're very sorry that the source of the disruption was not found in time to create the serene setting you requested. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back again.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Very spread out. Being we were there on Christmas eve, it seemed like a tomb.
Area is industrial, for the most part, dead. Maybe it gets good crowds when there are conventions in town, considering it's proximity to Cal Expo, etc. Otherwise, I can't see any reason to stay here. Okay, maybe one: The Sleep # beds, that's it.

Our room had some problems the first night (Christmas eve). Staff was attentive to them (the heater didn't seem to be heating as high as we'd like, "bring a couple of blankets, please").
Then the first time we ran the shower, the knob fell off and we couldn't at first turn the water off. Finally did figure it out, just before we had a flood :) Staff fixed that one the next morning (Christmas)
No maid service on Christmas. Guess we got too late of a start for their rounds (there weren't that many people there, and management probably wanted to send the staff home early so they could spend time with their families).

Hotel is converting back to the name before it was a Radisson before too long. Radisson knows a dud when it sees one. Probably deferring the maintenance too. Wonder if they're taking the sleep # beds with them too.. We might want to buy one of them.

Room Tip: get one near the hot tub :)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
It is upsetting when expectations are not met and we regret that your overall impression of our hotel does not reflect the level of quality we continuously strive to deliver. Although it's unfortunate that you encountered several issues at the time of your stay, we are glad that you reached out to our staff and they were able to take care of your concerns. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we hope that you will give us another try in the future.
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Average. More like a 2 star hotel. I will stay here again only if other options are exhausted. Very basic, no frills motel on a laaaarge property. I have no problem with that but don't advertise it as a 3 star hotel. Women traveling alone should avoid this hotel as the property is huge and not well lit.

Room Tip: Stay close to the lobby.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
We regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is welcomed and we appreciate the time taken to share your opinion with us.

Been to Red Lion Hotel Woodlake Conference Center Sacramento? Share your experiences!