“A nice hotel BUT beware the Mini Bar!” 4 of 5 stars

Business Savvy w/Internet
Ranked #20 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersGold level
Bonney Lake
“A nice hotel BUT beware the Mini Bar!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in July 2011 for a Train Collectors Convention. Several weeks before I traveled there was all kinds of news stories about Arnold Schwarzenegger's affair with his maid and how all of that occured here at the Hyatt. Sure enough, when I got into my room on the eight floor the housekeeper neglected to pickup the empty condom box on the floor! So maybe Schwarzenegger was here! I paid $130.00 per night which was a special rate the Train club got us plus $17.00 a day for parking. The hotel is right across the street from the California State Capitol and I could see it from my balcony. Room was decent size and featured air conditioning and a big screen TV (volume only goes up to 31). There was even a safe in the room for storing valuables. Bed was soft. The Hyatt gets 4 stars instead of 5 for 2 reasons. Number 1, in the bathroom there was only 1 towel bar. I bring some special cloths for cleaning my glasses and like to have extra towel bars. The other thing you have to watch out for is the mini bar. it is sensor activated and if it senses you pull out a bottle of drinking water $4.00 is charged to your hotel bill. If you pull out the bottle of wine $28.00 is charged! If you go downstairs and to one of the mini markets in the neighborhood you can get the same bottle of wine for $8.00. Otherwise the location is great. Many fine restaurants are withing walking distance and there are a lot of sights to see in Sacramento such as the Train Museum. Try to avoid the Hyatt's restarants, they are pricey! Yes I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Book early if going to a Convention.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

467 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Sonoma County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Overall we like Hyatts and seek them out as possible. This was just a quick get-away weekend... both have stayed here before and liked it enough to return. Rates favorable on the weekends, especially to state employees. Most amenities and qualities at this property are commensurate with what you would expect from a Hyatt - excellent service and nicely appointed, clean common areas. This property is convenient to the capitol, capitol park and local restaurants. Easy on and off freeway. But to nit-pick a little - we got away to sit pool-side one full day. The weather cooperated but we, and others at the pool, were disappointed to find this heated pool to be very cold. Furthermore, our bathroom had some splatters on the door and the vent in the shower needed cleaning. Internet access is an additional charge.. Otherwise it was a fine experience and we'll be back once Hyatt decides to crank up the heat in the pool.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

The Hyatt Regency has a very good if not the best location for downtown. Right across from the Park and capital. Rooms seem like they are recently updated, very modern and comfy. I love the mini bar and snacks in the room - great selection. Many hotels do not offer this anymore. I love the option to buy snacks right out of my room. My only complaint about my stay is that I had to move from my Regency Club room to the 5th floor because the noise on the club level was too loud, kids in nearby room kept playing in the stairwell along side my room. When I got my room on the 5th floor I arrived back later in the afternoon to find the A/C was not blowing cool air. I stopped by the desk to report it but nobody ever came to fix it. I left for a few hours and came back, still broken. It was 98 outside this day and the room was hot. I did not sleep well. The other complaint is that I learned that my room package included breakfast for two daily once I checked out after 2 days. They never told me at check-in, you'd think they would tell you where it is served, etc. Oh well. Other than these items the stay was good and I'd return again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Nipomo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I travel a lot and have had some of the best customer service ever at the Hyatt in Albuquerque. They need to send their staff to train the staff at the Hyatt in Sacramento. The gal at reception was bored and boring. Chipped nail polish, poorly trained with information regarding the hotel and surroundings. She didn't give me the conference rate even though I told her why I was there (corrected later by management). To me, reception is the most important part of my experience. I had been traveling 8 hours was beat and then greeted by her.

Not a good start.

The room was lovely, parking expensive and not great, noise (I was on 6th floor) from street loud most of the night, poor directional sings to conference.

Will never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Desert Hot Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Loved our stay. Traveled with my husband on his business trip. Room was comfy and clean, great tables and chairs, seemed newly redone. Great location - across the street from the state capitol, next to the convention center, a short walk to a mall, plenty of dining. Great food in the restaurant, lovely fireplaces outside for evening cigars and socializing.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Westlake Village, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

We booked four nights in the allergy friendly Respire Rooms. To our dismay, even thought the tea tree oil cannister was removed from the room, the residual oil odor filled the room and we had to leave the hotel in the middle of the night because I was having difficulty breathing and no other rooms were available. Although, many of the features of allergy proofing were followed, the fragrance from the oil and some fragrance found in the soap, etc. in the bath made this room uninhabitable.

Just wanted to warn people sensitive to fragrance that the rooms are a nightmare!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

The HR Sacramento is a large hotel with numerous amenities including conference facilities. It is located across the street form the State Capitol and within walking distance of plenty of restaurants, nightlife and tourist sights. It is also near the light rail. Rooms are a generous size and modern with comfortable beds and windows that open. We found very reasonable weekend rates, but budget $17 if you plan to self-park in their garage.

I tend to hold a hotel like the Hyatt to a high standard, but frankly this one fell short. Housekeeping was poor, leaving blue toothpaste on the counter and door, pills unvacuumed on the floor, dust bunnies you could cut with a knife in the bathroom air vent, hair and soap in the shower, and a stale smell of cigarettes in the hall and elevator. To Hyatt's credit, when we mentioned these shortcomings without any drama, the receptionist kindly gave us a generous discount and took notes for a manager. It is to be hoped that in the future, housekeeping is not so overworked that they cannot perform their duties.

I would recommend the hotel with reservations.

Room Tip: corner rooms like 622 are bigger than average
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Sacramento? Share your experiences!