“Great Value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Sacramento

You added Crowne Plaza Sacramento to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Sacramento
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5321 Date Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95841 (Formerly Holiday Inn Northeast Sacramento)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #44 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersSilver level
Novato, California
“Great Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here over a weekend with my family. First off, you should know that this hotel is not really close to the city center. It is about 10 miles northeast of downtown Sacramento. It is not in a touristy area. It's close to commercial buildings, car dealerships and some shopping plazas.

That said, it is quite a nice, comfortable hotel. The rooms have obviously been remodeled, so it feels like new. The beds are comfortable and there is no shortage of pillows. There is an outdoor pool and hot tub, which we didn't use, but looked well-maintained. The service at the front desk was also really nice. They provided us with free drink vouchers as a 'thank you' gift.

The best part about this place is the price. I guess it is because we were there in low season, but we got the room for only $75 online!

There are not many nice restaurants nearby, but we ate in the hotel and thought the food was pretty good. Good value for our dollar there as well.

This place is well worth the stay if you are visiting Sacramento for a night or two.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway. We did and had no problem getting one.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
pchand, Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again. Be sure to try the Napa Salad (it's incredible!)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I attended a workshop that was held here in September - stayed a whole week. Got a heck of a deal on the room by pre-paying. You take a chance on a place when you prepay, but this risk paid off.

This used to be an old Holiday Inn, and it was fairly recently remodeled to be a Crowne Plaza. The entire staff was awesome - from the chef and waitress in the restaurant, to the maintenance men, to the front desk clerks.

Since I spent a week here, I asked if they had another desk chair for the room.The one in there, although cool looking, was not very comfortable. They were nice enough to bring a chair from the lobby up to me room for the week.

The restaurant food was decent. Soup was good, chicken wings and fish and chips good, and the sandwiches were good. Salads good. Sort of a pantry kitchen setup. Not so crazy about the jamaican chicken.

The neighborhood and demographic aren't so great. Lots of beggars and homeless in the area. Lots of cops and sirens. The guests over the weekend are a little less desirable than the weeknight guests which are more business oriented. I think the low price makes this place sort of a ghetto high roller place.

Lots of smoking going on here - cigarettes and pot - even though it is not allowed. My hallway often stunk of cigarettes.

Every fast food place imaginable nearby, plus an In-n-Out and Panda Express and Starbucks next door. Conveniently on I-80.

Overall, good stay, and I'd go back in a minute. One interesting observation: I had occasion to stay in a VERY nice place down in Sonoma Valley a couple weeks later - $175/night, with a 4 star restaurant attached. The staff was snobby and seemed inconvenienced by our patronage. My brother looked at me at one point and said, "We need to take the staff from up there [Crowne Plaza Sacramento] and put them down here [this nice place in Sonoma]!" That's quite a compliment to the folks at the CP. Kudos to management for good training, and thanks to the staff for making everything comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask them to put you on "the quiet side" - they seem to separate the business and vacation...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spent 2 nights here over the weekend to visit grandson leaving for Marines, The Room charge was reported to be 79.++/ night with 9.++ tax & 1.++ service fee. Upon leaving had receipt for 177.++. Howevere when I checked my credit card the pend bill was 224.++.

Also despite it being a " nice" room had a hard time regulating the temp. either it was frezzing cold if the air was rtunning or very stuffy when the air was off.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I drive past this hotel every day on my way to work, but never paid it any attention. Now that I have stayed, I will be recommending to all my friends and family. It is a lovely, clean, well-apportioned hotel. The rooms are clean and attractive and the beds are wonderful. The staff was friendly and helpful. It is not in a super nice area (not a terrible one either), but it is very convenient and close to freeway access. The value is outstanding - appx the same rate as the vastly inferior La Quinta a few blocks away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Medford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This place is a rip-off, and uses legal language that no one can understand to steal your money.I booked at this hotel for a high school reunion. I had to cancel when my 85 year-old husband came down with a virus and we could not make the trip from Oregon to Sacramento. The hotel refused to return our $92, even though I told them we are seniors living on a limited income.

Most hotels take your credit card number when you make a reservation, and charge your card when you arrive. Not this hotel. They charge you immediately, and if you cannot come, they keep your money. They say they can do this because of a statement on their website (that does not make this policy clear). Here is the statement, and see if you can make sense of it: "I understand that by selecting the confirm reservation button, I am authorizing a charge to the credit card number provided for any specified deposit requirement and/or cancellation fee that may apply. Cancellation fees are non-refundable." That's it! Of course you need a room, so you click the button. They have your money, and if something happens that prevents you from using the room, well, that's just too bad, you are in the clutches of a greedy corporation. So if given a choice, I would stay somewhere else, and I would inquire about the cancellation policy before buying.

Room Tip: Check the cancellation policy before making a reservation.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Sacramento, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Jane F,

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, your comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. I would love to welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience with further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional information regarding your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My three night stay at this property was fine. This is a re-branded Holiday Inn that has been re-painted, upgraded, and is very nice. My room was very clean, well organized and had new modern amenities. It was quiet with no surrounding noise. The only detractor was the view from my room was of the service area of two car dealers located next to the hotel.
The restaurant/ bar area was nice as was the food. They have a morning breakfast buffet which is a little below standard from a Hilton or Marriott, but offered most everything you would want.
The staff, (especially the night bar staff and morning waitresses) were very service oriented, friendly and accommodating.
I would stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Fairfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed for a week at this hotel and I could not have asked for a better hotel. Newly renovated the rooms were AWESOME and the beds are so comfortable and I can't forget about the fantastic BREAKFAST, (juicy fruit)! I work in the hotel industry and knowing what to look for and expect this hotel exceeded all aspects. A hotel can look nice but it is the STAFF that makes this hotel the best it can be and I just want to say THANK YOU to EVERYONE who works here, they were all so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Crowne Plaza Sacramento? Share your experiences!