“Great location and value” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Olympia, Washington
“Great location and value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

For the price, location and friendly service this is a wonderful, place to stay. Clean rooms, great feel as you enter the hotel and great staff. Can't beat the location. Next to the shopping mall and entrance to Old Town Sacramento. Good breakfast buffet and decent restaurant.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
reno nv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We booked the room and said we wanted a sleeper couch. When we arrived the couch was closed up. We opened it and it had no bedding. We called the front desk and was told someone would make up the bed. In other Hotels (not this chain) the bedding for the sleeper is usually on a shelf in the closet When we came back from dinner two hours later with small kids the sleeper was made up but NO pillows We called the front desk again and was told the pillows would be sent up!! 20 min later (remember we have tired kids) I called again the desk person said" I put in the request" I said "how much longer?" He said "I will check" I waited 10 more min and called again then he said" I will make another request and if I have to I will bring them up myself!!" Finally a man knocked and handed me ONE pillow I said we need "TWO" he said "OK" and left!! TEN more min and another call to the front desk and the same guy bought one more pillow!!! Also it was in the 70's when we stayed and either they had the heat on in the hallways or they have no air for the hallway!!! The good part is you walk out the side door and you are in the Capitol Plaza Mall with a Starbucks a few feet away and the tunnel under the freeway right to Old Sacramento. However there is a movie theater in the mall and when the late show gets out if you are facing the Macy's building you hear everyone and they are loud!!! Also freeway noise!! The pool is nice and clean and there are lots of lawn chairs and some tables and chairs there. There is also a workout area near the pool. On the down side AGAIN!!! no one is there to answer the phone at the front desk until after 7:30 am. It is clean enough but there is no hair dryer provided in the bathroom and no FAN in the bathroom Don't try to look in the mirror after a hot shower!!! Because we were having a wonderful family trip and everything else worked out for us we didn't let it all bother us much BUT I would think considering Sacramento is a super tourist attraction and the State Capitol and it is next to Old Sacramento they get a lot of tourists who may try another CHAIN next time!!!. Also we assumed there would be a refrigerator in the room and there was NOT!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the mall exit since the late movie goers are noisy
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear foodieRenoNv,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are delighted about your positive comments with our location. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize we did not exceed your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your review and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Just finished staying there. Probably stay there 2 or 3 times a year. Other hotels are too pricey. This is a quick taxi ride away from everything. Front desk and restaurant staff are terrific. Very helpful. Business center is useful. Restaurant breakfast buffet is great and not over priced. Short walk to Old Town and river. Terrific hotel to bring family and see all of Sacramento. I mostly stay on business trips.

• Stayed March 2014
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We arrived at this hotel after a late arrival into the Sacramento Airport. The desk staff was helpful and professional. The lobby lovely. My room was clean and comfortable. My sister was also staying and was very happy with her room. The next morning we asked the desk staff for a breakfast recommendation and were told the hotel restaurant had good food so we tried it. We were very pleased with our delicious breakfast and the service was fast and friendly.

Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I got there when raining. I was awake from the noise which later on found out it was dripping water from ceiling!
Too close to highway, You would wake up around 5:30AM as traffic starts moving.
Bad Window insulation.

I went to gym, looked like a nice gym. But, it was HOT. The cleaner guy came in to clean the fan and AC while I am running. I had to ask him to stop and wait. Then, he said ok and just waited there and stared at me for an hour until I was done.

I would not go back.

Room Tip: Away for highway as far as possible and as high as possible.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Lizjqh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear valued guest, I am so sorry to hear how uncomforable your stay was with us. My regret is I did not have an opportunity to speak to you while you were on property. I would love an opportunity to make amends with you if you would contact me off line. Again, I apologize and hope to hear from you. Liz T
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The hotel is located directly across from the State Library and very near the Capitol. The staff is nice and responsive, and the public spaces attractive. However, the hallway and our room reeked of the disinfectant hotels use to cover smoke and other bad smells, the bed was saggy, and the room service breakfast pretty much inedible. I won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Can't think of any.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest, I apologize that your stay was not what you expected. I am disappointed I did not get a chance to speak with you. Please contact me off line and I will be happy to make amends. I hope to hear from you. Liz T
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The first time my wife and I stayed here, we were headed to Mexico for our honeymoon 8 years ago. For this trip, we returned with three little girls dressed like Disney Princesses and arrived at 9:30pm. Both of our experiences were great. Each time, we were greeted by a very friendly staff member and were immediately checked in with no hassles whatsoever.

On our first stay 8 years ago, we only stayed a few hours, as we had a plane to catch early in the morning (6am). The hotel staff ordered a cab to pick us up in front of the lobby at 3am and even raided the kitchen for some fruit and muffins as a quick breakfast for us, as we wouldn't have a chance to eat at the restaurant the next morning. They also set up a wake up call for us, which was very helpful. The whole experience could have been a hectic fluster, but it was an overall good experience.

This most recent trip, we arrived late again, after Disney on Ice, and were treated to a very clean room and friendly staff who seemed like they were happy to help. The next morning, we ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Our girls ate their breakfast for free, since we were registered guests at the hotel. Our meals were good, and they let us charge them to the room. For those who need it, there is a Starbucks in the plaza just outside the restaurant. Check out was very simple and our overall experience was great.

The only negatives to the trip were the room we had (10th floor) faced the interstate and I could hear the traffic the whole time. This could be a problem for some restless sleepers, but it wasn't the case for us, so it wasn't a big deal. Also, parking IS expensive ($16 for self and $18 for valet). This could be a deal-breaker for some folks who are looking at just price. I would rather pay a little more for somewhere I knew would be a quality hotel. It just seems like it is a bit of a price gouge, and that sort irks me, which is why I didn't give it a 5.

Room Tip: Try to get a away from the freeway if you don't like noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza? Share your experiences!