“Very nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here just on the way to Las Vegas. I was skeptical of staying here but was very very impressed. It's incredibly easy to find, staff are great, it's newly renovated and the rooms are very nice.

The downside would be that there is no mini bar and the kitchen shuts around 9pm... so if you get in quite late there's not many options for food. The area around the hotel didn't have many options either, everything seems to close very early downtown.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

The rooms were beautiful, the restaurant had great food at reasonable prices. Overall, the hotel offers a good value at a reasonable room rate. Picked here for the convience of location and access to mall and old Sac. Service was outstanding, cleanliness was great, and was relieved to have picked a hotel that didnt disappoint. All in all, nice place to stay. Are there some better places? Hecks yes there is, but this was near everything we wanted to go. Every time we visit Sacramento this where we stay. Only improvement they need to work on is their Valet Service. There price is to high ($16) for low service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Monterey, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I love Holiday Inn in general. We have had some great experience with the chain so it is what we first look for when we travel. This particular location was not upto my usual standard.

The room was okay - a bit dated. But they no longer have refrigerators in the rooms. It was as if they had glued the furniture shut that used to hold the refrigerator! The room was mostly clean - but the windows were incredibly dirty! I know that windows are hard to clean - heck I hate doing my own - but it was if they were never cleaned from the outside.

The service in the restaurant was okay. We were travelling with small children and the waitress was a bit sarcastic when we were trying to move plates to keep our baby away from hot items (a kind of "....well where do you want me to put this????" kind of response. As if she thought she was being funny but was actually rather rude). Did not feel very welcomed into the restuarant when we walked in the door.

I also felt nickled and dimed by the extra fee for a baby! I mean really, premiere member and we had to pay $10 extra for the baby? Yes - I realize I made my reservation for 2 adults - but when you add a baby online the option does not provide for a king bed. I personally feel that there are times when you overlook these things because it is the right thing to do.

Food was just okay. Free meals for kids was great for our family.

The location was GREAT. We took the train from the bay area and walked in about 10 minutes to the hotel (we planned this so we did not have too much with us). So close to old sac and capitol easily. The location of the mall next door was also nice - although we did not use it. Would be a fantastic location for a conference or any type of family event as it would please anyone's needs.

Would I stay again? Yes. But mostly due to location and the fact that we are reward night members. Otherwise I would probably try one of the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at his hotel for one night in May. It is located right next to an access way to Old Town so a visit there is a must. The Hotel is located in a convenient yet somewhat congested area (GPS is sometimes confused in this area). The Staff at the hotel was, helpful and courteous. The bed was very comfortable and the room spacious. They have a small gym with free weights and some aerobic equipment. I was most surprised and thankful for the more than adequate meal provided in their restaurant. The waitress was fanatastic!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Montgomery Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for business.
Great service from start to finish.
Short walk to Old Town and good restaurants.
Vivian the Executive Lounge hostess was great and full of lots of local information as well as the regulars who came into the lounge.
We would definately stay there again.
Clean and comfortable rooms.
Starbucks is right out the front door for those of you who need one close. : )

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Sparks, Nv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

The Jazz Festival, The best! Room was great, so was the food! Sheets and towels very nice. Little pricey, my guess prices are higher on this weekend. Book a year in advance if you have a certain type of a room you desire I do. Have fun.

Room Tip: Belong to their travel program.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We were attending a birthday party in Old Sacramento and decided to stay overnight at the Holiday Inn Sacramento Capital Plaza. Our first encounter was with valet parking which was efficient and quick. Next we were greeted by Celia at the front desk who was friendly and cheery. She immediately upgraded our room to the 16th (Excutive) floor and then provided a number of additional comps to make up for the fact that there was no free breakfast provided on that floor on weekends. The room provided was comfortable, with a nice firm king bed, a choice of soft or firm pillows, refrigerator, LG flat screen TV and free interenet. There was a coffee maker in the room as well. There was also a large bottle of water for our use. The room was clean. A few features of the room that I did not like were it had a small open closet, there was a step down into the room after entering a small platform upon opening the door. I forgot about this once and almost tripped. The bathroom had few toiletries except for shampoo, bar soap and moisturizer, similar to other Holiday Inns I have stayed at. The room had a large double pane window that offered a great view, but it did not mute the street noise below from I 5 or the Amtrak station nor the steam train that ran in Old Sacramento. So if you have sensitive hearing or are a light sleeper like my wife this may keep you from sleeping soundly. It did not bother me. We had some wine in the bar which was cozy and also ate breakfast in the dining room where the wait staff was attentive and the cost of breakfast was reasonable and filling. Right outside the hotel you are only a few steps from the Westfield Mall and also a short walk through a freeway underpass to Old Sacramento. The hotel has a well equipt fitness room, but I did not use it. It had multple pieces of euipment and thus was not like so many hotels where the fitness room is a joke.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple