“This hotel is fine for one night business travel, but do not choose this hotel for a vacation.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Mansion Inn

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel Mansion Inn to your Saves list
Otel.com Hotelsclick.com
Clarion Hotel Mansion Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 16th St., Sacramento, CA 95814   |
Ranked #71 of 84 hotels in Sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I was sent to this hotel on business related travel, and while the front desk clerk was kind and competent, the hotel itself is run down. The door of my room has to be slammed closed and the tv and alarm clock are both broken. There is an awful musty smell throughout the hallways and the room. The restaurant and bar/lounge are both not in service. If given the choice, do not come to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Palmetto, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is the location. We found afternoon clerk at check in very courteous and helpful. The day clerk and the manager were snippy and arrogant. The hotel needs a good rehabilitation. It is run down and dingy. Carpets are looss in the hallways and thge continental breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. There are lots of choices in the area and we missed on this one.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sonoma, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

This place used to be pretty nice, but has apparently fallen on hard times. The hotel used to do a fairly brisk business catering to guests who came for state government-related events/training but with the ongoing California budget mess I am guessing they've had a lot of that business evaporate.

There many other lodging options in Sacramento, and you'd do well to stay at one of them. Here are my gripes based on two recent (April/May 2012) stays:
* overall shabby/worn appearance throughout hotel
* poor circulation in rooms (on second visit went out and bought a fan so I would have some semblance of comfort)
* dreadful "complimentary continental breakfast"
* desk chair in room would not rise to a comfortable level for a six foot tall guy like me. A second chair was provided, but it too was "stuck" on the lowest possible position, very uncomfortable
* bathrooms small. Toilet not situated for comfort. Small shower stall (none of the rooms here have balthtubs)
* variable staff quality of service at the front desk
* for some reason I had a 12 cup coffee maker in the room but they only give you one or two 4-cup coffee packets.
* housekeeping staff like to yell and scream at each other across the pool/courtyard area

Room Tip: If you must stay here, request a room facing the pool area/courtyard vs. the street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend when we visited Sacramento for the night, I liked the location, it was easy to go and walk around the city, though there was not a lot going on the Friday night we were there, the hotel was close to some bars what made going out and walking back easy. When we checked in I thought the front desk clerk was a little cold and unwelcoming, don't even remember her name she did not leave a good impression with me at all. The room was nice but very outdated, but other than that it was okay, they had two options for pillows, both in my opinion were horrible, but if you like soft pillows than you will love them, I myself like a harder pillow what they do not offer. The breakfast was small but good, I liked that they offered the individual cereal boxes, and they had a large selection too.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This hotel was built in the 1950's, if that doesn't work for you there are several others in the same area. The buildings show their age, but upkeep seems adequate - it is painted and clean. The room was nice, the beds were clean with white sheets and duvets, clean towels, clean ceramic coffee mugs (no styrofoam), good water pressure. We had an inside room with a balcony. The room was quiet but the sliding glass door to the shared balconies didn't seem very secure... if you are being chased by international spies, this hotel would not be a good choice. The pool was sparkling clean. The landscaping and the continental breakfast were decidedly minimalist, but certainly adequate. Several rooms seemed to have fuzzy TVs, including ours but we had not even turned it on until the maintenance man asked us to check the reception. The carpets seem like they have been cleaned one too many times. I can't speak to heating or AC because the weather was springtime perfect.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with windows on the street, it is a busy intersection with traffic most of the night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Haverford, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

This hotel was chosen for me by someone else. The location was great, and my room was very nice - nothing fancy, but the bed was comfortable and the room included a microwave, refrigerator and a coffee maker. The hotel does provide free Wi-Fi. It is really a shame that the bar/restaurant have closed. The continental breakfast in the morning wasn't too much. I would probably stay there again, but I don't know that I would necessarily recommend it to someone else.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
oxford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

This hotel was booked via Hotwire.com. On their website it was listed as a 3 star 'A Smoke Free Hotel'. My room smelled of smoke, masked up with cleaning chemicals. There was a cigarette butt outside my patio. The room stank of smoke, chemicals, and of vomit. I completely opened the outside window to clear the smell, but it didn't help. Sacramento got down to very cold temperatures in the evening. The room heating system wouldn't work, so I had a choice of being cold with an open window, or coping with the smell and closed windows. Not only did the room stink, but it was infused in the bed linens and pillows. I got no sleep and by morning my eyes were red and swollen from the smoke and chemicals.
I mentioned this to the receptionist who said I could change rooms. The alternative room didn't have a screen door to the communal courtyard, and for security reasons (female, travelling alone) this wasn't acceptable. I bought a pillow to sleep on for the next night. I was also told that only air conditioning worked during the day, but at night the heat system would switch on. The cigarette butts remained outside my patio despite housekeeping cleaning my room. I kept the window open all day to clear the smell. In addition, the bathroom was mouldy and the hot water didn't work from the sink. The second night my room was freezing cold. The heating didn't work despite putting the setting onto full 'heat'. At night I called the front desk and they said an engineer could look at it the next morning. I had to pull the duvet off the other bed to add to my own. The next morning I now had a chest cold and cough.
I asked for the manager, and explained the cigarette smoking on my room patio. Her response was that they couldn't monitor it. (Later, speaking to other Sacramento hotels, I was told there was a £250 fine for smoking). I said that housekeeping hadn't even bothered to clear it away, and she said she couldn't chase them up all the time. And more on how it is an "old hotel", as if that has anything to do with me as a paying customer. Her solution was to vacate the hotel (and refund one of the 4 nights). I am from England, have never been to Sacramento, and had used Hotwire to be a booking agent for me. I only had their website information and confirmation that I booked and paid for a "3 star smoke free hotel"....and it was neither. The manager said that I should have "never booked with Hotwire" as they were notoriously incompetent. Hotwire (on hold with them, by the way for 4 hours) said it was the responsibility of the hotel, not them, and indeed didn't take responsibility that I did not get what they advertised, confirmed, and took money for. And my choice was to remain in these conditions or as a foreigner, begin a new hotel search.
The only good thing I can say about this hotel, is the receptionists/front desk workers, who were the only ones with any compassion, or offered help. I am grateful for their friendliness, but the rest of the experience was a total sham.

Room Tip: Do not book with Hotwire. Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to Clarion Hotel Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!