“Very nice!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Caliornia
“Very nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

We had room #239 and it was very nice. Beds were soft and comfy. Room was clean, we would stay again!

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Phoenix,AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

Best Western Sutter House is an older, 1960's-style motel that is better inside than it looks from the outside. The exterior is dated and a bit worn, but the rooms were clean, spacious and well-kept. The location is good: close to downtown and Old Sacramento, on a lesser-traveled street. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance, including a brew pub and several coffee houses.

The room was clean, and whie the bathroom was clean and trouble-free, there was a slight smell of mildew.

For the price and location this was a good value.

• Tips/Secrets — Free wireless internet!
  • Stayed June 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

Extremely comfortable room looking onto swimming pool. Breakfast was billed as 'de-luxe' but I would only describe it as average, and had to be transported to room or pool area for consumption. Pool area was well-kept and we enjoyed use of pool after a day's sightseeing.
Receptionist advised against walking from Downtown or Old Sac after dark, but light rail stop is right outside hotel. During daylight all tourist and shopping sites are within convenient walking distance if you can stand the heat (88F), but ample bus routes plus light rail close by.
Beware using Safety Deposit. Check-in receptionist had the knack of using keys but morning receptionist did not, and we were locked out - fortunately not on check-out day.

• Stayed June 2006
Mountain View, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

I stayed a Saturday night at Best Western Sutter House. It's a terrific value with free parking and nice staff. I arrived with a web reservation and made a change of room type once I arrived, due to my needs changing. The staff was responsive and helpful. When I tried to check in several hours early, they apologized that my room was not ready. They then invited me to park my car and to walk 3 blocks to the convention center for my meeting. I Ididn't use the car until I left town next afternoon.

The noise level was not bad Sat night and Sunday morning. I can see how noise would be a problem if you stayed in a room facing H or 12th Street on weeknight stays. Facing the nice pool area is probably better and of course, ear plugs. The little danish, coffee and fruit are free. Rooms are clean and beds quite comfy. Minimal but the price is right. Budget minded and need a quality motel? Sutter House fills the bill.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Granada Hills, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

I booked this hotel because I was attending a convention at the convention center, which is about 3 short blocks away, and because I'm a BW Gold Crown Club member.

When I arrived they were working on refinishing the deck around the pool. They were doing half of the deck at a time but managed to block both corridors leading to the rooms on the 1st floor in the back of the hotel. Unfortunately that's where I was staying. I had to take the elevator to the 2nd floor, walk all the way to the opposite corner of the hotel, then take the other elevator or stairs down to the 1st floor. I had to figure this out on my own, the front desk staff didn't warn me about this or how to get to my room. It would have been possible to block only one corridor while doing half of the deck, but they did it wrong. I complained, as did other guests I talked to and by the next afternoon they reopened the corridors.

The room was adequate, though I'm not used to having a soap and shampoo dispenser in the bathroom of a hotel that cost over $100/night. For that price I kinda expect the little bottles. The continental breakfast was disappointing. It consisted of mini pastries and coffee, though that coffee was much better than the awful in-room coffee. I tried using a BW travel card to pay for part of my stay but first was told that the BW computers were down, then was told that they didn't know how to process it.

Another review refers to the noise from the light rail. Fortunately I was on an inside room but I could still hear the light rail (I'm a light sleeper). A friend who was on the side facing the rail said she heard the noise and the voice announcing the stops all night. So definitely get an inside room, facing the pool, if you can.

Though I have my complaints, there were some pluses: There was full cable TV (not just a handful of channels) and free wireless Internet. The down comforter was quite comfy. There was free parking. The convention center is only 3 blocks away and the Capitol and cathedral are also short walks. There's a Thai restaurant on H street a block south of the hotel that's good.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2005

The Sutter House is one of the noisiest motels or hotels I have ever stayed in and I have traveled extensively around the world. The room was on 12th street opposite the light rail which runs all night. Besides the clanking of the trains going by, the trains were so close we could even hear the announcement inside the cars. Sleeping was impossible. All the rooms on that side of the motel should be left vacant. Another irritation was that I had reserved a king room but upon arrival was told there were no king rooms available. The rooms themselves and the bedding is nice but ask for an inner room.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2005

We stayed at the Best Western Sutter House for business and pleasure, and were very pleased with our room. As always, I count on TripAdvisor for advice on best places to stay, and I was not disapointed! The room was spacious (two King-sized beds), beautifully decorated, (much nicer inside than outside, as other reviews have stated), and the mattresses were oh so comfortable! It was perfect for the business traveler as the room contained an ironing board and iron, and a hairdryer, (as well as Shampoo, Conditioner, and Soap dispensers in the bath/shower). The view of the pool from the room was lovely, and the room and bathroom were clean and neat. We had no problem with sound/parties. Front desk workers were very friendly, and offered a map of the area. Plus, a continental breakfast was offered in the morning. This motel is a great deal; we payed $82 for our room (on a Sunday), and it was central, only two blocks from the Capital where we were headed. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sutter House? Share your experiences!