“Nice Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Reno
“Nice Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I just returned from a 2 night stay at The Sutter House. I don't normally stay at Best Western Properties but my Mom does and we were using her rewards number so we decided to give it a try. They were very helpful on the phone in making reservations which is always a good sign. The hotel is definitely in a great location and the fact that they offer free wi-fi, free breakfast, and free parking is HUGE especially in downtown Sacramento where other places charge a fortune to park. We were greeting by the nicest lady at the front desk. In fact all staff members were great to work with. Our room was nice and overlooked the pool. I too wish they had a hot tub especially after a long day. The beds and pillows were so comfortable! And the shower head was also really nice.

Best Western prides themselve on being "Green" and I appreciate that so much. However the cleaning agents they used really made our evenings tough. I immediately smelled the scent when we walked into our room and I was worried it would give us troubles. I talked to the front desk and they assured me all cleaning agents are "green" and up to the best standards, so I thought that it was just my sensitive nose and that eventually I would get used to it.... Well I did get used to it but my Mom, who was also staying in the room had a really hard time. She is also very sensitive to smells and has reactions to these types of scents... She coughed all night long and would only feel better when she left the room. We really enjoyed our stay but because of the cleaning product smell we'll have to pass on staying there again as it was just too hard on my Mom.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We arrived late on the night of our paid reservation, after several hours of driving, and had a major problem. Although we had paid in full for the room through Otel.com, the hotel would not honor our reservation. The receptionist stated that Otel.com had not reimbursed them for rooms other guests had booked, so they had decided to use us to get back the money owed to them. They had me call Otel.com's 800 number, wait on hold for more than half an hour, and deal with the overnight staff there, who didn't know what to do. It was finally agreed that I would have to use my credit card to again pay for the room for that night, and that the manager of the hotel would deal with Otel.com in the morning. The next day, we had to search out the manager, who said she would take care of the situation, after which we were reimbursed in full for the second payment.

Despite the fact that the room was fine, the hotel's openly admitting that they had used us in this manner left us with a very bitter taste in our mouths. In the end, the manager thanked us for solving their problem, but we were not offered anything at all in the way of compensation for our troubles. This speaks loudly about their attitude towards guests, and I wouldn't chance another visit at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
doris1974, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sutter House, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
I am truly sorry about the inconvenience this caused you, the travel company was notified weeks before your arrival that the hotel was suspending their account due to the extremely past due account. They were even given the names of the reservations the hotel had with their company, advising them that we would need their account brought current, or a credit card for the reservations we currently had in our system, otherwise the guest, unfortunately, would be required to provide payment. They chose to ignore our request, thus putting us both in a very bad situation.

Again, I am very sorry that you were put in the middle of this situation.

Doris Gray
santa cruz, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Best value for money and a whole lot more. I have stayed at The Sutter House more than 20 times since September 2009. All visits have been excellent. It has become a home away from home. This Summer I even stayed for several weeks enjoying the central location in Sacramento. Highly recommended for business travelers, families with kids, couples with kids or sole travellers like me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Carson City, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Very nice hotel however it did not have a hot tub which would have been nice to relax in after a long day. The beds and pillows were great and made for a great nights sleep. The location is in a safe area of downtown and the Bar/Grill in the same parking lot had great food and drinks.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Scottsdale, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

If you want the best hotel for all around comfort, amenities, accommodations and customer service, please take it from me, Best Western is only way to go. I've been staying at Best Western Hotels for years now and have not once been disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Well run hotel. Great people proving excellent service. Bargain in Sacramento, CA. Knowledgeable people at the desk and all very helpful with restaurants, holding luggage, etc. Excellent light breakfast available. People at the desk whether late at night or early a.m. are always efficient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This hotel was a very pleasant surprise to us. All rooms are located at the second floor, leaving a huge parking lot underneath. Our room was spacious and located in front of the swimming pool entrance. The small seats in front of the rooms make a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Service and breakfast were standard BW, so don’t expect to much of it. There is a descent restaurant next door though. Capitol Park is just 4 blocks away. A walk to Old Town is doable. We’ve enjoyed an (unexpected) pleasant stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sutter House? Share your experiences!