“Great location, very nice rooms, friendly staff and great breakfast....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sutter House

Special Offer
BEST VALUE RATE BOOK NOW
Ranked #6 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
UK - South West
“Great location, very nice rooms, friendly staff and great breakfast....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We spent one night at the Best Western Plus Sutter House.

The hotel is greatly located and within walking distance from the Old Sacramento, the Parliament house and even the shopping mall. It has its own swimming pool and the rooms are very clean, very nicely and tastefully decorated. Staff are friendly and happy to advise of places to eat or visit.

Breakfast offers a lot of choice too with cereals, porridge, fruits, waffles, bagels, muffins etc, etc.

We would definitely stay there again if visiting Sacramento in the future. Conveniently, there is a Red Lobster within a few miles from the hotel too which was very nice for dinner.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the swimming pool are the quietest...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank happy_fairy

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed for 1 night, the room was comfortable and clean and the location was excellent. Breakfast was basic but OK and the free parking was a bonus.The staff were helpful and, aside from the room being quite noisy beacuse of traffic, I couldn't fault the hotel. I would ask for a room facing the pool if I was to return to Sacramento again.
The old town and the Capitol are within a 10-15 minute walk.

Room Tip: Inner rooms facing the pool might be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stevie70
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Enjoyed this hotel. The staff were all nice and very helpful. Convenient location. Comfortable rooms, beds. Clean.

Room Tip: Rooms with sliding doors onto pool are the nicest.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Sheffield UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

Suited us perfectly. A big clean room with double doors opening onto the pool, free parking underneath and breakfast included(the usual chain hotel fare).
The railway museum, the Capitol and the crocker gallery were all 15/20 minutes walk away through good areas. Nothing fancy about it, but if you want to see the city it's perfect.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank murphy60
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed here for one night and it worked well for us. It's very centrally located, just a few blocks from the capital. The hotel rooms were clean and comfortable and there was free parking, which was a nice bonus. The breakfast was typical for a Best Western.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed for two days and was very impressed with the helpfulness of the front desk staff. There was a minor glitch in the pricing when I checked in, and it was all straightened out by the morning. I liked the fact I didn't have to wait at the desk to haggle the online rate. The room was very clean for a not-so-new hotel. The bed was comfortable and the linen appeared new, and was spotlessly clean. Even other travelers waiting in the lobby were cheerful and friendly, and it was raining outside!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Colorado Springs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I found a rate on the Best Western website, and then found a lower rate on Expedia. The BW national website said that they have a lowest rate guarantee. I called the hotel directly and told them that I wanted to make a reservation but I wanted them to match the Expedia rate. The reservationist said that he only had 3 rooms left so he had to charge the rack rate. I explained the lowest rate guarantee on the website and he said that he couldn't match it. I called the BW national 800# and explained the situation. They offered me an even lower rate as a Manager's Special. Frustrating that I had to make that many steps to get a fair price.

Warning, the solar heated pool means that it sits outside and hopefully the sun will warm it. It is not actually heated!

Also, Expedia lists a fitness center for this facility though in fairness their website does not. When I inquired, I was told that there were 2 national chains nearby (24 Hour Fitness and another that I can't remember) that I could use. The next day when I was ready to go to the gym, I asked if I needed a pass. The guy at the front desk said that he was out of passes and I should just show my key card. Thank goodness I called 24 Hour Fitness to confirm! 24 Hour Fitness said they had ended those arrangements 2 years ago and I could get a day pass for $20. Also, this was quite a walk from the hotel (like over 10 blocks). Now my intention was to workout so the physical walk did not bother me, but the downtown nature of the hotel and my personal safety was a concern. There were definitely homeless people around and just unsavory folks loitering that made any workout facilities not a viable option for a single woman without a car.

I never saw a restaurant in the hotel. There was one in the same parking lot that was good, but I don't know what Italian restaurant and room service they were talking about. No one at the front desk mentioned it, I didn't see any info in the room, and I certainly didn't see it in the hotel.

I could hear a lot of outside noise at night. I think someone was practicing a tuba somewhere nearby.

The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, and the bathroom and shower were fine.

The breakfast was an adequate continental breakfast, nothing special, but enough to get the day started.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business