“Not what I was expecting, prices not fair” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Colorado Springs
“Not what I was expecting, prices not fair”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I found a rate on the Best Western website, and then found a lower rate on Expedia. The BW national website said that they have a lowest rate guarantee. I called the hotel directly and told them that I wanted to make a reservation but I wanted them to match the Expedia rate. The reservationist said that he only had 3 rooms left so he had to charge the rack rate. I explained the lowest rate guarantee on the website and he said that he couldn't match it. I called the BW national 800# and explained the situation. They offered me an even lower rate as a Manager's Special. Frustrating that I had to make that many steps to get a fair price.

Warning, the solar heated pool means that it sits outside and hopefully the sun will warm it. It is not actually heated!

Also, Expedia lists a fitness center for this facility though in fairness their website does not. When I inquired, I was told that there were 2 national chains nearby (24 Hour Fitness and another that I can't remember) that I could use. The next day when I was ready to go to the gym, I asked if I needed a pass. The guy at the front desk said that he was out of passes and I should just show my key card. Thank goodness I called 24 Hour Fitness to confirm! 24 Hour Fitness said they had ended those arrangements 2 years ago and I could get a day pass for $20. Also, this was quite a walk from the hotel (like over 10 blocks). Now my intention was to workout so the physical walk did not bother me, but the downtown nature of the hotel and my personal safety was a concern. There were definitely homeless people around and just unsavory folks loitering that made any workout facilities not a viable option for a single woman without a car.

I never saw a restaurant in the hotel. There was one in the same parking lot that was good, but I don't know what Italian restaurant and room service they were talking about. No one at the front desk mentioned it, I didn't see any info in the room, and I certainly didn't see it in the hotel.

I could hear a lot of outside noise at night. I think someone was practicing a tuba somewhere nearby.

The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, and the bathroom and shower were fine.

The breakfast was an adequate continental breakfast, nothing special, but enough to get the day started.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Saratoga, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. While the room was comfortable and appeared clean, we were jarred awake at 4 a.m. with a wake-up call we never ordered. The front desk clerk apologized and said that the housekeeping staff must have forgotten to cancel the call. We assumed that was the end of it, but again on the second night, we were again awakened at 4 a.m. with the very loud phone blaring yet another unwanted, unordered wake-up call. This time we were assured there would be "serious repercussions," which do us no good at all. Despite the gracious welcome we received, the excellent location, the safe parking, and comfortable beds, nonetheless, we found three long hairs (we didn't have to search for them) in the toilet/shower room, along with what looked like pubic hairs in the shower. The shower head was stuck on providing a strong, single spray, so when I tried to adjust it, it came off in my hand. When I replaced it, it failed to seal, so when I turned the shower on, water sprayed all over. Maintenance later fixed it, along with a lamp left unplugged with no access to a wall plug.

We thought this would be a restful place to stay, but it hasn't worked out that way. The place has much to recommend, including a generous free breakfast, but the problems we encountered, which may not happen to others, left us certain that we won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Call the front desk before going to sleep to be sure you're not getting a wake-up call if you do...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Oak View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We are staying at the Sutter House. We were drawn to the 30% off if staying for three nights. That is a really good deal. But I was shocked on how beautiful the rooms are. They are completely redecorated and done so very nicely. Totally immaculate. The front desk is sooo helpful. Jeremy is very personable and a real asset to the motel. Also, there are cameras in their covered parking to make sure that your car is safe. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Endicott, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We love Best Westerns in general and feel safe to be there. This hotel was an exception, sadly. Located in NOT a good area and the ambiance was non-existent. The bed was fine, but the overall "feel" to the hotel way under par. We entered our wing of the hotel through an outside hallway, which was not inviting because of the cold and rain. The room itself was done in bright reds and golds and oranges, which are really not comforting or restful colors. IF all you need is a good bed, this would be fine!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed here for one night after getting off the plane at San Francisco. It's well placed for sight seeing in Sacramento . Old sac being about a ten minute walk and the state Capitol building.is nearer still. The hotel is of unusual design and you could easily drive by without realising it's a hotel. Parking is covered and plentiful.The lobby staff were friendly and helpful.
Our room was pleasant , clean , well decorated and a reasonable size for an average brit couple. The beds were confortable and we slept well. There was from memory some road noise but that was about it . But we were staying on a weekend.
The complimentary breakfast was self service and was "american style" with croissants bagels and I had great fun with the waffle making machine. Overall a good place to stay well placed and pleasant .
Old sac is very much a tourist trap with lots of candy stores and the like. It's enjoyable enough but you could probably see it all within an hour or so. We had a nice dinner in a Mexican restaurant in old Sac and enjoyed watching the impromptu cruise that was going on at the time on the street below. Lots of "low riders" and some nice bikes thrown in.One of the nice suprises and probably the best tourist attraction in Sacramento is the State Capitol building. I would well recommend this. make sure you take the guided tour as it's a mine of information.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011 via mobile

Have stayed at this hotel 3 times. The location is great, the area is good, parking is easy, front desk employees are very nice and helpful and rooms are clean and inexpensive. I like this place and will continue to stay here.

• Stayed July 2011
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Hotel is directly in downtown Sacramento and amongst all the big restaurants and the capitol building. Had a room facing the pool area. Went to a bar/restaurant in the best western parking lot ..literally 20 steps out the door, convenient. Beds were EXTREMELY comfy and sunk right into it. Only downside was the paper thin walls.. could hear neighbors on both sides of us.. till 3am, as well as in the pool area. Most of the room looked updated.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sutter House? Share your experiences!