“Hotel met my expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Special Weekend Rate!
Ranked #13 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
fresno, ca
“Hotel met my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

Getting to the hotel was confusing for a first time visitor, even after reviewing Google maps. Unfortunately, the online maps are dated prior to 2007 when the hotel site was still vacant ground. Once at the front desk, check in was painless. The person at the front desk was cordial and offered needed information about the hotel. The lobby appeared well maintained with plenty of complementary coffee. The “Great Room” where complementary breakfast and Sundowner reception occurs was well designed.

The suite was big with a well stocked kitchenette, clean bathroom with plenty of towels, and a flat screen tv. The wireless internet access was sufficient for my needs. The bed was comfortable and the room rug appeared clean unlike some other hotels I’ve visited. The room was quiet, even adjacent to the elevators. I was happy that there are no ice or vending machines on the floors, otherwise, the hallway noise probably would be noisier.

After reviewing the room, I took advantage of the salad bar and buffalo wings at the Sundowner reception. The hotel provides the complementary reception every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The salad bar appeared fresh and the buffalo wings were good. I don’t drink, but I did see several other guests with the complementary wine and beer. Although there isn’t a hotel restaurant, there are plenty of shopping malls and places to eat near the hotel.

The complementary breakfast was good and expected from a Holiday Inn. I’d recommend staying away from the biscuits and gravy, because the sausage in the gravy was still frozen.

The hotel doesn’t offer express check out, but check out was reasonable. Again the front desk person was cordial and helpful. My overall impression was positive and I’d stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Just completed my second stay at the Staybridge in Natomas (Sacramento) -- one night each (last November with my significant other and last night alone) -- and both were very good and very consistent. I would stay there again any time. This places works for me and my hotel needs in the area.

I booked my stay online, for the purpose of visiting relatives in my hometown. The hotel is a new 4-story structure. It is clean, well-decorated and has all the basics (small pool, patio area and free parking) and also a very nice complimentary breakfast (cereal, fruit, eggs/ham/potatoes, juice/coffee/yogurt and more), an elevator, a business center (two free computers), a small library and free high speed internet in the rooms. It had absolutely everything I needed.

For anyone wanting a hotel with character or an expansive resort property in Sacramento, this isn't it. It's not downtown and it's not unique. It's north of the city, right off of Highway 80 on the road from SF to Reno (near where Highway 5 goes North/South), near Arco Arena and not too far from the Sacramento International Airport.

It is new and surrounded by several dozen restaurants (fast food and several large chains, such as Chili's and Mimi's) and big-box-type stores, such as Target, Ross, Best Buy, Bev Mo, Old Navy --- and tons more. For me, it's a perfect location, so close to the freeway. Easy to get to my Sacramento family and easy to get back home to the SF Bay Area.

Both times I've stayed there, the staff was welcoming and friendly and the rooms were the same. Small suite with kitchenette (medium-sized fridge, 2-burner stove, microwave, coffee pot, place settings for three, bowls and cooking implements and more). Very comfortable queen-sized bed and fold out small loveseat in the suite-area (didn't need that, so can't attest to its comfort for sleeping), flatscreen LG TV and plenty of storage for clothes. Both a closet and drawer unit. It's well appointed for 2 people staying a week or more.

There are two phones in the unit --- bedside and deskside. Also, I did hook up to the complimentary high-speed internet service in the suite area and enjoyed the office chair. Very comfortable and adjustable. Plenty of light, with fixtures throughout the unit, in the kitchen, office area, next to the couch and on both sides of the bed.

Shower and towels were fine. Plenty of toiletries (soap, shampoo, lotion, etc.).

Other than breakfast (ending at 10:30am), there is no restaurant on site but plenty in the area, available by car. Nearby restaurants are not within easy walking distance at night. It's not in a neighborhood. It's more like a developing business/commercial area with some suspended development (and chainlink fences and empty lots nearby, due to the economy?) so one would need a car to go get lunch or dinner in the many close-by restaurants. It feels a bit remote, due to the above.

It's not a place I would stay if I wanted to really get to know Sacramento or if I wanted to walk/explore anywhere or have a pool experience or take the whole family or wanted something romantic or fancy, but for visiting my family in town and having a new, quiet, clean, well-equipped place near the freeway, with all the amenities I needed --- it fit the bill. A really good "just passing through" place to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We recently had the opportunity to stay in the Staybridge Natomas location and I must say that it was a pleasant experience that I highly recommend to others. My comments are from the beautiful grounds surrounding the hotel to the friendly staff that worked at this location. The breakfast was good and convenient prepared fresh each morning. And also the weekly dinner offers that were presented were good as well. And did I mention that both of these were at no additional costs to those who were staying at the hotel. Clean rooms, wonderful patio and pool areas, also the areas surrounding the hotel are safe and secure. I had a wonderful vacation and this Staybridge was a vital part of my enjoyable stay in Sacramento CA.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Modesto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

let me start off with the facts: after just being treated crapy by the front desk guy at the hapmton inn around the corner, i was welcomed by rachel (front desk) it was like coming home. My room was clean, my bed was perfect, the smell of the hotel was "like new", the pool, jacuzi, breakfast, dinner, what more could you ask for??? I will gladley and always stay here when needed, no more hotel shopping for me. The price was great, & you get all that!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Fresno, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

This hotel is a couple of years old, but still has that "new" feel. Have stayed in lots of Holiday Inns and would have to say this is my best experience with the brand. Staff was very helpful - changed my room immediately, no questions asked, when original room had strong cigarette smoke smell. Mid-week heavy hors d'oeuvres included beer and wine gratis and allowed me to eat dinner right there, but there are many, many good choices within walking distance. Bed was cushy, room more tastefully decorated than usual Holiday Inn style. Bed seemed just a little short, maybe? Very close to downtown Sac, about 10 minutes on freeway. Can't say enough good about this place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

We met friends at Staybridge for a little getaway. We booked their cheapest rooms, which were mini-suites with one queen bed, plus a pull-out couch that could be made into a bed. There was a kitchen with refrigerator/freezer (including icemaker), 2-burner cooktop, microwave/hood, dishwasher, pans & dishes. This place is designed for longer visits, similar to Extended Stay, but way better. Rooms were pleasantly decorated with yellow walls and mission-style furniture. There were a lot of extra little perks. In-room coffee, tea, and popcorn. Cabinets with actual storage space in the kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. Lots of nice towels (and more towels available at the pool and fitness room). Free wireless in the room. Price included FULL breakfast, and I mean the real thing--very good. Staff was helpful wherever we encountered them. Our friends left a cellphone in their room, and housekeeping was very prompt to get it to us when we came back for it. The surrounding area is FULL of every conceivable restaurant and retail store. Downtown Sac is 10-15 minutes away by freeway, and Arco Arena and Airport are 5-10 minutes away. We had a great, relaxing time with our friends in the rooms and the jacuzzi. We are due back in Sac in April--Staybridge won us over; we will try to book them again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
The Peoples Republic of Berkeley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

I stayed at the Staybridge suites for 2 nights after Thanksgiving. It was just as I expected -- still new, clean, comfortable, well appointed and trouble free.

My room was a small efficiency studio. It had a kitchenette (2 burner stove and a nuke, but without a real oven, sink with disposal, and full size dishwasher) with full utensils, pots and pans, a toaster, and a coffee maker. There was a comfortable queen size bed, with OK pillows (I'm very persnickety about pillows, so I always bring my own anyway). There was an adequately sized desk and various other little tables, and a small sofa. There was also a nice large flat screen LCD TV with a ton of channels. The bathroom was fine, with a nice massaging shower head and curved curtain rod. Everything was clean. If I had next door neighbors, I never heard them.

The only feature that left something to be desired, was the blackout curtains, which allowed bits of light to peek through in the morning. I'm a light sleeper and I like a very dark room. I imagine they are fine for most people, but for me they definitely weren't Hilton dark (IMO, Hiltons have the best blackout curtains in the industry).

There is free breakfast until 10:30 am. I only went the last morning of my stay. Had I known it was so good, I would have gone the first morning as well. There were: eggs, sausage, make-your-own waffles, fresh and canned fruit, three juices, a few different kinds of coffee, oatmeal and assorted cold cereals, yogurt, muffins, pastry, bagels and other toastables, and I'm sure I'm omitting plenty. It was one of the most extensive hotel free breakfast buffets I've ever seen. It added significant value to the already reasonable rates. Apparently, there are evening buffets Tuesday through Thursday as well.

Check in was a breeze. The staff were always pleasant and helpful. When I asked for a 2 pm checkout, I was told I could only get a 1 pm checkout. Then at about 11 am, someone from the front desk called to say that I could stay until 2 pm after all. It was greatly appreciated, and was the kind of attention to detail that surely would have been overlooked in most full service hotels.

Another review mentioned power surges, but I experienced no power related troubles. I always travel with a surge protecting power strip for my laptop, but its fuse never tripped.

The only trouble I experienced was that the free high speed internet was anything but high speed. The internet sometimes cut out intermittently, even though the hotel was nowhere close to capacity occupancy. I ran speed tests and got the same slow speed (120 kbps down/120 kbps up) on both the wired and the wi-fi networks. That's only about 2.5 times the speed of dial-up, and pages take seemingly forever to load. In order to be competitive with other area hotels, they should spring for a little more bandwith.

For those who don't have a computer with them, there are two computers in the business center downstairs which can be used for free, but you may have to wait your turn with a few game playing kids. I didn't print anything, but I was told that printing is free as well.

All in all, this hotel is a real gem for the budget traveller who doesn't want "budget" accommodations. I got a good rate on priceline. However when I checked their website, I found their rate of $73 to be very reasonable for a place like this. These days, I don't think you can do better in the Sacramento area. I'm staying there again next weekend and looking forward to it.

• Liked — Clean, new, comfortable, well appointed, convenient, with friendly helpful staff
  • Disliked — Slooooow internet
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Staybridge Suites Sacramento Natomas? Share your experiences!