“Great hotel but not so good smells” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 83 Hotels in Sacramento
utah
“Great hotel but not so good smells”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Reaidence Inn, downtown for a business trip. Great location and very clean however we stayed on the 9th floor room 900 which is at the end of the building. Walking down the hallways you could smell the food being cooked in the hotel which isn't that bad except when its being blown into your room. It was cold there and we had the heater on and every time it came on it blowed the smell of whatever was being cooked throughout the room. The last night was a BBQ smell that was thick and very strong, my clothes smelled of it the next day.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Layton, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I am a Platinum Premiere Elite customer. I don't care about the status. I stay at Marriott properties about 125 nights each year. The hotel is a little older, but you know what you get with the Residence Inn. Very comfortable, the heat works in the room (a big deal for me). The pool was supposed to open today, not that I would go into it, but I saw the "closed until further notice" still up. The breakfast is standard: powdered eggs, potato hash, fruit, etc. Parking is not great, but no problem. $17.00/day and be very careful making the turn into it if you don't get the extra insurance on rental vehicles. Also, make sure you exit the garage on the different place than you entered, but you cannot get out and will need to back up - very crazy when cars are behind you. It would have been great to know this info upon checking it. Ready for my pet peeve? So, I am here with my trusted colleague who pointed out a little nastygram stuck to the inside of the room key sleeve, which I would have never seen. It states, "Effective January 1, 2011, there will be a $75 early departure fee for any modification to a reservation after check in." I toned it down, because it is in all capital case. Honestly, in all the hundreds of nights I have stayed at Marriott-related properties, I have never seen something like this. It is bad business. I talked to the front desk and they did state they do have room to flex on this policy, since they try to prevent guests from making cheaper reservations for an extended period and checking out early. In fairness, they are not owned by Marriott. Howewever, they represent the name and standards.

I have no problems with the rooms, but the sticker about the $75 might be sticker shock, so know before you go... something I have never seen with Marriott. If that is the case, put that info into the reservation details. Had I seen that, I would have never booked it, and I am here for 4 more nights.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I had a lot of fun staying downtown Sacramento. My husband had a few days of business meetings and I had a lot of time alone to learn about a new town. This location is perfect if you really don't want to drive anywhere because you can walk to everything! I didn't get back in my car once.
The staff is really friendly and helpful with finding me things to do with my time. Evat and River were even willing to listen when I just needed a friendly ear. The guys at the bar (I'm sorry I don't remember their names) were fun and eager to find me new drinks to try. My husband really liked the one with the upside down corona.
The room was spotless and very comfortable and a lot bigger than I expected. I liked the one up high and close to the elevator because I have a bad knee and it had a great view of the park.
I didn't eat breakfast everyday but I enjoyed it when I did. The staff in the morning is very eager to make everyone comfortable - in fact everyone is. I will be back - hopefully my husband will have more time to enjoy it too.

Room Tip: Thursday night is wine night!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Recently on a trip to visit family and friends in the Sacramento area, I booked a room at the Residence Inn @ Capital Park. I enjoyed the convenient location to all the popular areas in Downtown Sacramento and was able to get to see most of my friends and family with little trouble. I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance of 3 Fires Grill and Bar, the breakfast was wonderful and the front desk staff was very helpful. Kudos goes to Paul, Yvette, and all the staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Capitol of CA.

Room Tip: I don't think that were any bad rooms . . .
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have to start by saying that I normally would not be able to afford a stay in a hotel of this caliber. As it happens, my daughter was registered for SacAnime at the Convention Center, and the Residence Inn was offering a very attractive price for attendees, so we all decided we could use a mini-vacation. So glad we did!

The good experiences started even before we left home. Knowing that we would have to be in Sacramento several hours before the stated check-in time, I was worried about finding parking in the area, so I gave the hotel a call. The very pleasant desk clerk not only assured me that I was welcome to park my car at the hotel when I arrived, but that, if they had a room available, I could check in anytime after 8:00 a.m.(and that, if they didn't have a room available that early, they'd be happy to keep our luggage in a safe place for us until we could check in). Having spent many a first vacation day driving around looking for parking because I'd arrived before the official check-in time, this took a HUGE load off my mind.

We arrived at the hotel at 10:30 a.m., and found it with no difficulty. As it happened, they did have our room ready, and very kindly let us leave our car in the registration area while we brought up our luggage. Parking was in a garage next door (shared with monthly permit holders and the general public)...they gave us a permit to hang from the mirror and a key card to allow us access during our stay. A note: Hotel parking is limited to floors 5b, 6b, and 7 in the garage. There's plenty of space, but do be sure to park on the right floor, or you could be towed (I had started to park on 4b, but noticed the restrictions on the back of the parking permit as I was hanging it on the mirror).

Our room (a suite, actually) was gorgeous! Even my husband, who has stayed in executive hotels on business, was impressed, both by the room itself, and by the amenities that were included. Our suite (number 616) had a very well-equipped kitchen, which included a small dishwasher (note: if you need to run this, do it when you plan to be out of the suite, as it's rather loud), sink with disposal, two-burner stovetop, full-size microwave, coffee maker, toaster, and full-size refrigerator/freezer (no regular oven, but unless you plan to make homemade lasagna while on vacation, that's not a huge lack). The sitting area included several comfortable chairs, a coffee table, a computer desk, and a sofa that made into a double bed. The king-sized bed in the sleeping area was EXTREMELY comfortable! There was also a beautiful, big, flat-screen TV that rotated so you could watch it from either the sleeping area or the living room.

As it happens, our room also included a nice view of the Capitol Building, which certainly added to the appeal!

By the way, you absolutely can't beat the location! The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Sacramento, just around the corner from the convention center, and right across the street from Capitol Park (which, if you've never been to Sacramento, is a destination in and of itself!). The Capitol itself is just a few blocks away, as is the K Street pedestrian mall. Old Sacramento and the Railroad Museum are an easy and safe 1.5 mile walk (hotel staff can tell you the best way to get there). There are plenty of restaurants, clubs, and pubs in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

The hotel offers free, fast, and frisky wireless internet. There's also an ethernet connection in the rooms, if you happen to have a laptop that needs it.

I have to take a moment to rave about the free hotel breakfast. I have suffered through many a pathetic "free" hotel breakfast (and overpaid for more than one breakfast buffet). The free breakfast buffet at the Residence Inn is fantastic. Scrambled eggs (with various fixings, including cheese and salsa), home fries, sausage patties, pancakes or biscuits and gravy, COOKED oatmeal (none of that crappy instant stuff!), waffles, hard boiled eggs, a nice selection of cold cereal (including granola), yogurt, fresh fruit, lots of good things for toasting, three different kinds of fruit juice and GOOD coffee...I'd have happily paid extra for it. The hotel restaurant and room service also proved to be good bets (I highly recommend the restaurant's grilled cheese, and my daughter loved the room service pizza Margarita, which was delivered in as fast and friendly a manner as anyone could wish).

Oh...I should also mention that they let me leave my car in the parking garage for several hours after check-out, which eliminated yet another worry!

In short, this hotel contributed greatly to making this mini family vacation into a truly memorable event, and I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
WOW! After reading your review I find myself speechless. I feel like I just read a well scripted advertisement for my hotel and yet it is a review from a traveler I did not get an opportunity to meet. I am honored by your review of our hotel and the staff. I spent all day thinking of the right words to use when I responded and I never really found any that could match yours. We all work so hard each day and hope our travelers will enjoy their stay, encounter smiles along they way and feel at home while staying with us and today I smiled because we did just that. Thank you so very much for sharing your experience, I absolutely promise to share it with our team and say thank you to each and every one of them from you and from me. They are a great team and today and every day; I am so fortunate to have each one of them by my side.

Thank you very much and we look forward to seeing you next year!

Shelly Moranville, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this Residence probably 12 times over the last six months, it is my choice for hotel when I visit Sacramento. You can't beat the location, service, and complimentary breakfast for a reasonable price. Right across from the capital with plenty of great restaurants and bars within walking distance. The two bedrooms are huge. Very clean as well. The best, most upscale Residence I've seen and I travel 50-60 nights a year.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
smoranvi, General Manager at Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
We are delighted to be your first choice when visiting Sacramento. Thank you very much for the wonderful review and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Happy New Year! Shelly Moranville, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel is wonderfull, i travel alot and i must say ur staff is friendly and nice .i really enjoy my stay wit my family at this hotel .also i want to thank so much ur breakfast attendants so friendly ,i want to give speciall ,special thanks to adriana she was so nice and always smiling thanks to her for all her hardwork wonderful person ,she took my newspaper to my room when i was looking for one but they were all out ,is the small things that mean alot thank you once again ,i will be coming back i promise

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Residence Inn Sacramento Downtown at Capitol Park? Share your experiences!