“Nice place to stay with kids” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #32 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
San Francisco, California
“Nice place to stay with kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Liked:
- the spacious rooms--we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with kitchenette. very comfy for family of 6
- free breakfast--not a great spread, but covers all the basics
- blackout curtains--great for a nice afternoon nap
- heated outdoor pool--we did not use it, but several families were having fun. Pool size is a little small though
- TVs in each room
- ample parking
- free wi-fi
- kitchenette was well stocked with clean pots and pans and silverware

Disliked:
- Due to miscommunication we were directed to a wrong room BUT our room key was able to open another guests room. Because of this we didn't feel save leaving our valuables in the room when we were out sightseeing.
- outdated TVs (old CRT monitors!)
- train tracks less than a block from the hotel. You can hear the train at night. Maybe uncomfortable for light sleepers

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
TownePlaceSuites011, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the TownePlace Suites by Marriot. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Your comments have been reviewed by the hotel’s management and appropriate action has been taken to ensure a situation of this nature will not be repeated in the future.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies. We hope you will continue to use TownePlace Suites by Marriott as your lodging of choice, and look forward to welcoming you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from TownePlace Suites by Marriott Cal Expo Sacramento.

Ruth Martinez ~General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We were in the area for my son's baseball tournament and his team has been staying here 3 years in a row and I see why that is. This was my first time and I was impressed. The hotel was very clean. The front desk was very courteous and helpful with requests. the rooms were very clean and with an updated decor and the bed was great to sleep on. I think the mattress might have been one of those tempur pedic style mattresses. I dont usually sleep great in hotels but i did here. Another nice thing was that I ordered a pizza delivery from Extreme Pizza which was good and forgot to ask for paper plates. Then I realized when I looked in the kitchen cupboards there were plates,drinking glasses, coffee mugs etc. The room I had was just a regular room with 2 queen size beds. The room I had a nice size refrigerator, 2 burner kitchen dinette, and a dishwasher. I do not have any negatives to report about this hotel. I will gladly stay here again and would recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed two nights at this hotel for part of our family's vacation. We took the kids to Raging Waters park, which is less than one mile away for a day before moving on to spend time with family nearby in the Bay Area.

The location was perfect for our purposes, we probably could have walked to the water park had we felt so inclined. The neighborhood seemed perfectly safe with plenty of nearby restaurants.

The hotel itself appeared to be relatively new - either that or it was EXCEPTIONALLY well maintained. Either way, it was a pleasant stay in clean, comfortable rooms. No wear and tear on carpets, furniture was in top notch condition, TV was in excellent working order. The beds were comfortable, a little on the soft side, which suited us just fine. There was plenty of closet space for luggage.

We did not make use of the swimming pool or hot tub, but they looked to be quite nice, if a little small. We took advantage of the hotel's free breakfast - it was pretty basic but more than enough for us. Bagels, toast, waffles, cereals, yogurts, etc. It worked for us.

No problems with the wireless internet.

When my husband was checking us out, the hotel manager or owner (not sure which) seemed genuinely concerned about whether we enjoyed our stay and if there was anything he could do to make it better. Really, we couldn't have asked for anything more from this level of hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

I guess I was a little disappointed because after seeing the place online, I was hoping to write a 5 star review. For the price, having a fairly large room with a kitchen and desk was great. The hotel looked nice and was conveniently located next to the expo, should one be going there for any event. The continental breakfast was very good--nice variety of food. We made use of the laundry room, which was helpful, although the machines seem to take a long time to wash/dry. Although we did not use the pool or gym, since we were only there one night, they looked inviting. The clerk on duty that night was helpful and very nice. We were missing soaps and shampoos for our bathroom, and she quickly gave us a new supply. She also, gave us soap for our clothes.
There were other negatives. The bathroom was too small and the sink stopper was apparently broke. Also the bathroom door kept shutting by itself. The next morning, the maid twice pestered us to see if we were ready to leave so she could clean the room. I read a similar post on here about a maintenance man bothering a guest. This is sort of thing is rather odd to say the least in my opinion.
If I was staying there for several days I may have appreciated the hotel more.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MAGALIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

I stayed in a so-called Studio Suite which is the smallest unit available. The set up is best described as a kind of Extended Stay America with the style and comfort of a Courtyard hotel. The room has an adequate size: not only fits a queen size bed in there but also a sofabed, a comfortable armchair, a small desk plus an ergonomic chair. A small kitchen with big fridge, microwave, two burners and all necessary utensils completes the main room. The adjacent bathroom is very nice, has enough light and features a closet that can also be opened from the kitchen side (very practical). Since the hotel is only about one year old everything looks brand new. The bright colors (which are similar to those in Marriott's Fairfield hotels) make the room look larger than it actually is. Again I noticed that Marriott uses different kinds of mattresses in its hotels. You never know what you get. Firmness and quality of the mattress in my room was somewhere in the middle between some very soft ones I recently found in newer Fairfields and the firmer ones that they have in most Courtyards. Since I prefer a firm mattress I was not 100 % comfortable. Rooms and public areas are immaculate, could not be any cleaner. There is even a small outside pool and a hot tub. Only drawbacks: Check in was extremely slow and the complimentary breakfast was the worst I had in ages. All in all: not quite as good as Marriott's Springhill Suites but very acceptable and cheaper.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Check-in
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

We (husband, 5 year old, and me) stayed at this hotel for two nights while we were visiting Sacramento for the State Fair. The hotel is newer and in a decent location. The rooms are not huge by any means, but definitely have everything you could possibly need while you are staying. The kitchen has a nice sized fridge/micto/stove/dishwasher. It also has many handy utensils such as knives and a wine bottle opener- always a plus for us as I hate it when I bring wine and forget the opener :) There was also a closet that was handy in storing stuff as well as a laundry hamper which is something I always have wished more hotels would provide. We stayed in a studio suite which had one bed that was fairly small, but comfortable. There was a fold out couch bed which was great for our 5 year old. The room was very, very clean!

The pool area was nice- small but nice. The Spa was great. The breakfast was ok- I have had much better free breakfasts in hotels- especially other Marriott chains. The first morning they ran out of almost all the food- and we even got there kind of early. The second morning was a bit better, but only one kind of cereal, and only skim milk. Not much else provided. I think they could do a better job with the breakfast for sure.

The only true negative I can say about the hotel is the service- the front desk staff is pretty rude. We asked for ice and it was like we were asking for the world. We got locked out of room the second day and when we treked back down to the front desk after a very long day- we were met with a rude front desk clerk and not even an apology.

Other than that, the location is good- across the freeway is the Cal Expo and Arden Fair area- many, many good restaurant choices: El Torito, Mimi's Cafe, Olive Garden, Chili's, Cheescake Factory, and many other large chains...inside Arden Fair mall there is other good choices: Dos Coyotes is a good choice if you like fresh mex style food.

When we travel to Sacramento again I will most likely stay at this hotel again due to all the comforts it provides.

• Liked — The room and all the amentities it provided
  • Disliked — The breakfast and the service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

Stayed one night. Two bedroom suite. New building - spotlessly clean. Excellent accommodation. Location is a bit out of town - but good range of shopping nearby. Friendly & helpful reception staff. Free WiFi (I probably should take this for granted - but some hotels still charge for this). Good laundry room.
We ate at Mimi's restaurant nearby & would definitely recommend.
There were a lot of kids running around on the lower corridors - it didn't bother us as we were on the (top) 4th floor (an earlier reviewer had recommended getting an upper floor room).
There was some kind of party on next door to us - no music but noisy conversation. We let it go until 11.15 p.m. We then called reception and it was sorted immediately. Got a great nights sleep.
I would definitely stay at this property again - and based on the experience I will factor TownePlace Suites into future travel plans.

• Liked — Spotlessly clean. Great rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo? Share your experiences!