“Overall nice hotel, staff but rather noisy” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Austin, TX
“Overall nice hotel, staff but rather noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Pros:
Pretty grounds. Nice room, lobby. Very convenient to airport (but not so close to be bothered by plane noise) and restaurants nearby (mostly fast-food). Free airport shuttle service, but you must call/reserve it in advance. A very nice, unique touch: breakfast bar is open, well-stocked at 4 AM, and a nice brownbag "to go" snack pack is provided for guests with very early checkout before breakfast hours. Free USA Today outside your room in the AM.

Desk clerk named Melissa is VERY, VERY nice, cheerful, friendly. Went out of her way to be helpful, set up wake-up call without being asked. The gentleman who checked me in was also nice but seemed to struggle working the front desk computer and I saw him doing other hotel tasks, so perhaps he is a bit overworked and/or undertrained.

Cons:
Loud, continuous "fan or engine-like" noise sound coming from the bathroom area that cannot be turned off, probably the hotel-wide AC fan system; at night it sounds like a freight train. Business center computers are somewhat slow (but free).

Service and staff were overall very good, as noted above. When I called before arrival, I specifically asked for a quiet room on the top floor, only to arrive and discover the person I spoke to had booked me into a room directly next to the elevator and ice machine. When I asked for another room location, a female clerk (NOT Melissa) rather brusquely said, "We are completely booked/full," but then the gentleman desk clerk standing right next to her somehow magically found another available room minutes later with no problem.

Also, the evening before I left for a very early flight (5 AM), a maintenance man carelessly decided to turn on & run very loud equipment/vacuum/engine-sounding thing for 15 minutes at around 10 PM at night. It could be heard down the entire floor corridor. I guess the words "quiet room" and "completely booked/full" have different translations outside California...:).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

This hotel was clean and spacious. We found a great deal on Hotwire and it was the perfect location for attending a concert at Arco Arena. There are tons of food choices in the immediate area and it was also very conveniently located near the airport. The breakfast was just ok and I did not care for their signature cinnamon rolls but I thought it was fine considering we only paid $59 a night. Our room was located right next to the exit to the outside so we were disturbed by people going in and out of the building.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

We were in Sacramento visiting family and stayed at this Holiday Inn Express. We have stayed at HIE in other cities and this is the best. It is a newer hotel, located between the airport and downtown. They provide shuttle service to and from the airport. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was roomy and comfortable. I love that you have a choice of pillows...soft or firm. The internet worked great. Breakfast was better than what you usually get at a hotel. Several choices and, of course, the famous HIE cinnamon rolls!! Yummy! There is a big grocery store and several restaurants within walking distance. We will definitely stay here again when we are in the Sacramento area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

Staff is very cooperative and friendly. very comfortable stay.

Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Glenside, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

On a recent cross country trip, I arrived at SMF very late. Instead of dealing with the rental car and driving in an unknown area alone at night, I decided to stay here based on other reviews. I called the hotel upon arrival and the shuttle was at the airport within 15 minutes or so. Made a stop at the other terminal, then went to hotel. I would say the process took approx. 30 minutes, portal to portal. Check in was quick and painless. The room was clean and had no odd odors and was adequate in size. Bathroom was large and tub had an arched shower curtain. The shuttle back to the airport the next morning was great - took me to rental counter not terminal. The issues I had were with the price - $145 plus the ridiculous CA taxes and the breakfast. Breakfast was lame, to say the least. When I got there, there wasn't much available - nothing hot except for biscuits and gloppy looking gravy. Scraps of food on the counters. Eventually, as I was eating my cold cereal and artificially sweetened yogurt, some processed "cheese omelets" were brought out, so I tried one with a biscuit to make a half sandwich. Yuck. Someone did come out and clean up but the trash cans remained filled to overflowing.
Sorry, but for $145+ a night, you can do better than that.
Also, the room furnishings were a bit odd. The colors matched but there was a very strange mix of patterns and crazy polka dotted wallpaper in the bath. The linens and pillows were nice, however.
If you are there during regular hours, it's located in a new area surrounded by enough chain restaurants to satisfy all. Didn't use the facilities but it does have a gym to work off all that chain food.
I guess overall, it was fine because of proximity to airport and ease of transportation, but there are several brand new hotels on the same property and I bet a better rate can easily be had and all would be about the same level.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Switzerland, Fla.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

To celebrate my 60th birthday, we decided to go to Sonoma and Napa for a week, then fly to Vegas for 4 days. Upon the recommendations of Trip Advisor members ,I decided to book one night at the Holiday Inn Express. We decided to fly into Sacramento instead of S.F,. and we are so glad we did. This hotel offers free van transport from the airport, all hours of the day and night. We got in around 11 PM, and were met promptly by the H.I. Exp. van. Our check-in was fast, and we were happy to find a clean, new room, where we spent a restful night. The next morning we had a simple snack at the "included" breakfast, which wasn't much, but I wasn't expecting much. Juice, coffee and some eggs filled with cheese were enough for a start. The van took us back to the airport to get our rental car- again this was included in our rate. The driver was courteous and took us right to the rental car office. I highly encourage visitors to the Sacramento area for a short visit to stay here. New, clean, friendly, great airport transport service!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

Started off great with what was without a doubt the fastest check in I've ever had. I was there a short time before check in, but they had everything ready to go and I had my room keys and directions in about two minutes. Room was clean, fresh and well maintained. Easy on/off freeway and lots of restaurants and a safeway nearby. Breakfast was above average too. If you go expecting this to be a normal Holiday Inn, u will be pleasantly surprised by how they manage to do everything a step above.

Only fear I would have is construction noise from buildings being built in the area. We stayed Saturday night so didn't hear any construction and I only noticed one airplane, so insulation seems okay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sales_MgrNatomas, Sales Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Airport Natomas, responded to this review, February 27, 2009
Thank you so much to all of you who have taken your time to review our hotel and making us Number 1 in Sacramento!

From all of the staff at the Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Airport Natomas

Been to Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Airport Natomas? Share your experiences!