“Northwest University Choir Tour!!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Kirkland, Washington
“Northwest University Choir Tour!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I am the tour director for this large group! There are a couple of things I look for when booking a hotel: comfort, a great pool area and a good location. This hotel was wonderful on all accounts! The staff was very friendly and helpful! It was a pleasure to stay here for the duration of our tour!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Everyone was simply delightful. Never complaining when given a request. I'm so glad I chose to stay there! The concierge receptionists were so excited to see us and treated us very well. The property is absolutely beautiful and newly updated. There was absolutely no downside to my stay!

• Stayed March 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Northwest University choir stayed at this hotel for 6 days. My experience was amazing! The staff is great. No complaints about room service or housekeeping. Moe and Joanne at the front desk are awesome! :-)

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Near Yosemite
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I was transferred to the Courtyard from the Fairfield Inn because they didn't have enough rooms. The process was easy & efficient. They even uprgaded me to a suite. Nabardal & Moe were great.

At checkout there was a slight error on the bill & it was corrected immediately. Thanks Joanne!

• Stayed February 2014
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed here about three years ago. If you have business to tend to anywhere within a reasonable radius of this hotel, I highly recommend it!

I tend to favor Marriott and Starwood (Sheraton, Westin, W) hotels. Most Courtyards tend to be decent road-side places to lay your head with a predictable reliability. This too can be said of the Cal Expo Courtyard. However, this hotel has more of a full-service Marriott feel. There is a restaurant on premise, along with a bar and formal lobby area.

My room (180) was a little on the large side for a hotel room, which was nice! I appreciated that it was in a quiet area.

The only complaint I have about this place, and many others like it, is that construction codes didn't take in to account soundproofing. I could hear the conversations of my neighbor..sometimes even over my TV.

The food at the restaurant was quite good. It's not a gourmet place, or someplace for a romantic dinner. It is quite functional and VERY reasonably priced. Best of all, it was one of the best sandwiches I've had in some time!

I would continue to highly recommend this hotel! I'm not sure what the negative comments are about. Yes, it took a few minutes to check in. But they were both busy...one on the phone and appearing to multi-task while his partner was busy checking in guests. You can't fault them for moving as fast as they could.

I'll be back if in this area again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Abbotsford, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Generally when we're travelling I really enjoy staying at Marriott properties. We have a customer loyalty card and we find that they generally offer very good value for the money. That is not the case at this location.

The staff generally pretty efficient and friendly. After that it's all downhill. The room is not as nice as other courtyards that we've stayed at. It looks like it could use some serious remodelling. We were tired after being on the road for 10 hours and did not feel like going to far for dinner. We looked on their local website page and saw a restaurant that we wanted to go to. Their website said the restaurant was 1 mile away. We did a google search and there were 3 of this particular chain. Their website did not tell us which was the closest one so we had to call the front desk to get this information. This is something that would be so easy to fix. I looked all around the room for the customer information booklet that all hotel have telling you where ice machines are, hours of operation for fitness facility and pool, check in time etc. I called the front desk to tell them I was missing the book and was told that they had pulled the restaurant menus from the rooms since they are revamping the menu. I said that I was not interested in the menu I just wanted the information book. I was told that all information books have been pulled from the rooms as well. What?

The tv was very dated and did not work properly. There is no information book or guide so I had no idea what channels were available. When I tried just using the channel up and down keys, it skipped all over the place. It would go from 2 to 4 to 5 to 15 to 12.

The room key did not work properly. We had to insert the key up to 5 times before it would finally catch and open the door. I told my husband he should take it back to reception and have it redone but he couldn't be bothered. He has a higher tolerance level than I do.

The noise in the room is atrocious. I could hear the train at 1:00, 2:00 etc. The noise would last about 4 or 5 minutes each time. We could also here people walking in the room above us.

In the morning we had breakfast in the bistro. My husband ordered the breakfast combo that consisted of orange juice, oatmeal and banana. Our server asked us twice if he wanted a banana for his breakfast. That's like I'm going to order bacon and eggs and you asking if I would like eggs with that.

I would not recommend this property unless you are a very sound sleeper and are content with paying high prices for a poor quality hotel experience.

The following evening we stayed in Springfield and although there was a courtyard there we stayed at their competitors property. We paid the same as we paid at courtyard the previous evening and less than the courtyard in Springfield was charging. We had great attentive staff, a really nice corner room with a nice view over the city (it was a larger room than we had the previous night), a nice large washroom with plenty of counter space, good soundproofing in the room (got a good nights sleep), a customer information book in the room (so we knew where to find things), a better tv (with a listing of the various channels) and a USA Today delivered to our room the next morning. We have not stayed at this chain in years but they're back on our radar now.

Room Tip: If you do stay ask for a room on the top floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Joanne S, Operations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Sacramento Cal Expo, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other Travelers. We're sorry to hear you were so unhappy with our service and can assure you it's not our norm.
Due to the renovation, it was a management decision to remove the old directories because of the inaccurate information. We have ordered new guest directories with all the updated information of our hotel and services and should be receiving them any day now. I apologize the desk associate didn't offer to bring you a channel listing as well as have an Engineer replace your remote.
We don't want to make excuses, clearly you were unhappy with your stay and we failed. We want you to know that we are truly sorry and hope you will accept our sincere apologies for the issues you experienced.
All your comments will be shared with our staff.
Fresno, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Loved loved loved it here! The hotel staff was awesome! Mo and Andy at the Front desk were very helpful and accommodating at check in, we had problems at another hotel, and they helped us through it. I saw Mo throughout my stay,he is such a sweet ball of positive happiness!!! He gave my Co-worker and I a hug when we left, such a great guy! All of the staff were courteous, professional and accommodating. Had a great experience with the Bistro staff, the food was very good and the service was great. As for the room-very nice! The bed was comfortable, nice layout, everything seemed clean and good quality. When I had a problem, they fixed it right away. I was very happy with my stay and would definitely stay here again. The only thing I don't care for is the area, would prefer Natomas or something. But this hotel really made up for that. Highly recommend. Thank you Mo, Andy, Kevin and all the awesome staff at the Bistro!!! Keep doing what you're doing!!! :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Sacramento Cal Expo? Share your experiences!