“Best in Sac” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1,753 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Howe Ave.
Transit: Need a driver? Call our receptionist and we will be happy to arrange a town car for you. Please call a minimum of 24 hours before your reservation.
Description: Located in Sacramento, America's Farm to Fork Capital, The Kitchen Restaurant is the most unique and exhilarating dining experience in all of California. Our renowned 6-course Demonstration Dinners feature Chefs Randall Selland and Noah Zonca preparing a creative and sumptuous feast for all your senses right before your very eyes. Made with the absolute best ingredients from the region and around the world, our amazing seasonal menus are just the beginning of an evening of fine food, and entertainment found nowhere else. After 16 years, this family affair is still a true original, blending the innovative cuisine, engaging entertainment, award winning wine list and genuine hospitality that have continued to make it one of the most sought after reservations in the state. For a truly special dining experience and an evening to savor and cherish, The Kitchen is unmatched. Dinners are $125.00 per person and are by reservation only with limited seating, so please call if you are unsuccessful booking online and we will gladly assist you.
Sacramento, California
“Best in Sac”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great experience. The staff was wonderful. The entire night was well worth the price. Every dish was amazing. The wine pairing was perfect. They even let you ask for more of anything you would like :)

• Visited February 2013

Winnipeg, Canada
“Worth the price of admission”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Cost is $125 per person with a 20% mandatory gratuity. Drinks are extra. (if you want seconds or thirds, that is not, you just have to ask)
They are exceptionally considerate when it comes to allergies and things you do not like, looking at it more of a challenge then a bother in accommodating you.
This is a show, which is why I love it. The service I receive has been exemplary every time. They make you feel welcome as if you're a guest in their home. I tip 20% often anyway, but this service is better then most.

Most of the times most people do not take advantage of all the kitchen offers. The clients I observed are often exceptionally polite and mostly watch without actively participating which they do tell you, you are welcome to do. I admit I'm one of them!
I have gone in a group of 3 each time. I prefer sitting at the counter where you can see the action and would recommend it especially for couples. The tables just seem too far back, though I've never actually sat there... I just like being up close.
There are 2 small complaints I do have.
As someone else said, the sushi (intermezzo) offering doesn't always seem to be enough.
The other issue is when calling to making bookings or having questions. They do not get back very quickly or at all. I've been there at least 3 times now, and each time I've had minor issues with getting some questions answered.
There have been 2 highlights that seem consistent. The sushi portion where they serve real wasabi that they grate fresh and pickled wasabi (where I am from this is not common at all, though I have found more restaurants in California that have pickled wasabi). The other is their white gloved tea service where they use fresh herbs which they cut from the plant.

Even with the issues though, I still give it 5 stars (I just hope they read this and perhaps try to fix them and make this place perfect). For the price, I think you get your moneys worth. I've eaten at places like Joel Robuchon in Las Vegas, but this is my favorite(sorry Joel, I still love your dessert and cheese tray).

• Visited September 2012
California
“Phenomenal!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we entered the building until we left, what a blast. The food was phenomenal, the staff was excellent and the experience was great. If you go sit at the counter it gives you a great opportunity to chat with the staff and interact with them on a more personal level. Yes it's expensive but in my opinion it was worth every penny. The food is fresh and the wine excellent! A once in a lifetime experience. Would go every month if I could afford it since they change the menu monthly!

CA
“Felt dissapointed by the experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had been trying for months to get reservations at The Kitchen and were happy that at last we got reservations and were even able to make it for four as we had friends to join us. Our friends have attended the dinner before and always talked about it, but it was our first time. Let me mention that we really love food. Living in Napa we explore every weekend new and different restaurants and we were looking forward to this one of a kind concept of food, show and some "food education". The biggest problem we had with the evening was Chef Randall Selland and his presentation. We expected much more information on the food, the menu and the philosophy behind his restaurant. His presentation felt like a rant about Vegetarians, Liberals and lots of other not food related subjects. I dont go to a restaurant at this level and have to listen to his personal opinions about all kinds of things. We felt really put off by his presentation. His staff does a wonderful job to provide some information, but if we would not had our friends with us who had attended this dinner a few times before, we would not have known that you can re-request menu items you really liked, as it was never brought up in the introduction. Also in the Intermission the sushi was gone so fast there were only little pieces left, not something you want to have happen when you pay over $600 for two people. We did not feel that the price/quality ratio is appropriate as we had better food before and paid much less. We are glad we did it but would not repeat a visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Plano, Texas
“Probably the best meal that I have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Each month there is a set menu at a fixed price. The dinner consists of six ot seven courses with an intermetzzo of sushi and pickled vegetables. All dietary restrictions are accomodated whether glutin free, vegetarian, etc. including the fact that I did want a pouched egg on the appitizer. The evening (about four hours) is a gastronomic delight. Each course was excellent. For me, the highlight was the swordfish which I can only describe as "amazing". The chef and his extensive staff all encourage the guests to explore the kitchen, walk in refrigerator and wine celler and take pictures. It is expensive but the experience is one that we talk about with anyone that will listen. It is that good.

Visited November 2012