“Good value for a budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
San Jose, California
“Good value for a budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

This is an old hotel a short drive to downtown. Our room was a bit worn with stains on the sofa chair and a cleaning solution smell typical of maintained budget hotels. The door "chain" was broken, and, probably because of the unseasonal heat wave while we were there, everything was damp. The air conditioner worked although it was noisy, typical for budget accommodations. There were no facecloths. We don't know if they ran out or they do not normally provide them - we didn't ask. The sheets were well seasoned. It was a little surprising that there were multiple decor pillows on the bed. There was free wired internet although it was very slow and would not connect with our usual sites. Note that cellular service was particularly bad - our phones (Sprint) were essentially useless - no signal for voice nor data. Our phones indicated 4G service, but would not connect. There was a small coffeemaker, microwave, and minifridge in the room. The television was an old 25 inch CRT. Parking in front was packed although there was plenty of space in the back of the multi building property.

We arrived at around 6:30 p.m., just in time for afternoon snack which was baked potatoes with a variety of trimmings (I recall chili, ground meat, cheese sauce) and salad (lettuce and ranch dressing only). Beverages (included) were at the bar (free beer!). Breakfast was also included with several juices (from a drink dispenser), sausage with biscuits and country gravy, powdered eggs which were apparently baked in a very large serving tray, individually packaged yogurt, fruit, and toast and bagels. Free USA Today newspapers were in a stack between check- in and the dining area.

In short, the hotel provided convenient lodging with the convenience and value of free/included food.

The front desk was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Red Bluff, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Stayed overnight during a stay in Sacramento for a training class, single female, in my 40s. Felt safe at all times. Convenient location right off I-5, easy to find. Check was smooth, quick. Room was very spacious, bathroom huge. Had a couch and a table in the front of the room, great for working on your laptop. Lots of outlets in this area. Microwave, coffee and tea bags (yes!), good sized fridge that I did not use but noticed. Bed was very confortable, nice linens. TV was not flat screen but was a good TV. Pool and spa area were large and attractive. There was a basketball court that I did use. Lobby has a large bar area where the free breakfast is served from 6-9am. Hot eggs, bacon, breads, juices, bagels, toast, fruit, yougurt. Very nice presentation and they offered both plates and silverware, or paper plates and plasticware in case you needed to go. Bar also offered a FREE, yes, FREE happy hour from 5-6:30pm with Coors Light and one other beer free, and free house Chablis, Burgandy and White Zin. Pretzels and nuts were also free. Parking was ample. Ice machine on my floor was not working, but the one on the floor right above worked great. Would recommend to anyone. The price was amazing, I did not expect a hotel of this quality for what I paid through a large, popular travel site.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

This place had a 3 star rating which is a joke. It was dirty, the service was bad, the rooms were sparse, and the breakfast was horrible. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel met all our needs and a little more.

Check in was easy. The lobby is clean and open. Our room (2 queens) was very spacious. The bathroom is a little small but ok. The room was clean. The beds and pillows were comfortable.

The hot breakfast was more than we expected and slightly changed each day. They had fresh fruit and yogurt too. It was restocked when it got low.

Overall, this hotel was an excellent value. We got our room via Kayak and it was under $120 for 2 nights (plus, there was free parking and breakfast included).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sonora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is the place to stay if you need to "Park and Fly". I get a clean, comfortable room, I can leave my car in their lot for 2 weeks, and get a free shuttle ride to the airport at 4 am. all for under $100. We also stayed there as a family in July 2010 for a convention. They serve a free, "full" continental breakfast with pancakes, sausage, ham, eggs and also your typical continental breakfast fare. It was hot and delicious. The rooms were clean and each room had a kitchen area. They have a wonderful pool, spa and a workout room. It was perfect. I will be staying every year in September when I fly to Oklahoma to see my Mom and Sister.

Room Tip: If you use their Park & Fly, I suggest the first floor rooms close to the lobby area.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Sacramento, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

My boyfriend stayed in the Hawthorn Suites in Sacramento for about 2 months while going to school, his bed foundation was broken and caused his back to go out. When brought to their attention nothing was done. Maid service wasn't the best, at times they would be out of wash clothes or towels and told him that as soon as some were ready they would bring them to him. He usually had to go to the front desk to get them. This also included things like toilet paper and light bulbs. Having worked as Head Supervisor for Housekeeping, I had my maids check all lights they also had a check list that they had to fill out and turn in. We would also check with guests randomly to see if the extended stay guests were getting the best service.
The phones were terrible you could hardly hear the people on the other end because of all the static. The television channels are limited and the supposedly High Speed Internet was so bad it would take forever to get from one site to another.
He stayed at the Rodeway and although they didn't have a cook top stove and a much smaller fridge the service of the maids, internet, phone service, and more television channels was much better quality compared to the Hawthorne Suites.
I know all this because I visited him regularly while he was staying at both places.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
sacramentohotelgm, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sacramento, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
As the General Manager, my number one priority & goal is guest satisfaction. I truly understand the importance of taking care of our guests who chose to stay with us. My staff and I work very hard to exceed our guest’s expectations every day, however we are not perfect. The comments in the review titled "Bad Service" are surprising to hear as my staff and I we're never contacted about these issues. I train my staff to treat our guests on how we would want to be treated if we stayed at another hotel. I'm confident that if these issues were brought to my attention, I personally would have resolved & corrected each issue immediately.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

The free shuttle from the airport and to my meetings in downtown was a plus and very convenient. In addition, the free wireless and full hot breakfast buffet added to the value when on a tight budget. Furthermore, they have a free happy hour with wine and beer to unwind. I have stayed here numerous times and would recommend it to other business travelers. It is no frills, but well worth the value compared to other hotels nearby.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sacramento? Share your experiences!