“Lovely rooms!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
Sacramento, California
“Lovely rooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here with my boyfriend while he visited found it on hotwire so it was a surprise. The location wasn't bad typical downtown location. Gated parking was nice and free. Rooms were large and clean the beds were big and comfy! Breakfast was yummy and filling. The only thing was one lady at the front desk was a bit rude i think it was just her personality not a big deal really only talked to her when I checked in. Would stay again for the price!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for the nice review and we hope you do come back soon.

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Good location within walking distance of many midtown restaurants. WIFI in room was very weak (1 bar) and non existent at times. I was unabIe to stream movies or play on line games with the in room connection. Solution was to sit downstairs in the eating area for a stronger connection but this is not 3 star quality in my opinion. Ample breakfast with eggs, sausage or bacon, biscuits and gravy. Comfortable bed. Toiletries provided were passable but not 3 star quality. Room was clean but hallways and elevator had an odor...also not 3 star quality. Front desk staff were friendly and appreciated the free parking and free HBO. A better rating for this hotel would be 2 1/2 stars.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a strong WIFI connection if that is important to you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your review and glad you had a pleasant stay. Good news about the weak WIFI, we are upgrading the entire system Sept 26th & 27th, 2012 which will take care of all issues. We hope you come back again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights August 9th to the 12th for the Convention. it was about 3 blocks from Convention Center so that was great. The breakfast they had everymorning was good. The room was ok and clean. the only thing i didnt like was the bathroom shower didnt get hot enough. when i used the sink it wouldnt drain so i pulled out the stopper and it had caked on black mold or dirt it was discussting. I wouldnt stay here again only because the price was horrible for only 3 nights and the air conditioner barely worked and those 3 Days were very hot.

• Stayed August 2012
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay and am sorry experienced some discomfort. The items you mentioned will be looked into and appropriate action taken.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Likely the most friendly and informative hotel staff that we encountered on our 2 1/2 week road trip. We had a great stay at the hotel. We booked through Hotwire and got a very good price ($70) The room faced a fairly busy street but having looked around Sacramento I can tell you that this particular street was one of the quieter ones! Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable. And as I said, the staff excellent, right from the front desk to the young lady in charge of the breakfast and eating area, to the assistant manager who we met. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again. I am surprised by some of the low ratings by some reviewers because our three nights were terrific: close to restaurants, a laundromat, Chavez Park, the convention centre, etc.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back end have good access to elevator and stairs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Great review, it’s greatly appreciated and we hope you get to stay with us again soon
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I admit, I was reluctant to stay here due to the spate of bad reviews of late, but we were pleasantly surprised. The location was convenient to everything we wanted to see and do, and it's in a pretty area - not sketchy at all. The lobby, breakfast room and common areas were clean and attractive. The room was spotless and comfortable, with good beds and cushy pillows. I heard hardly any street noise - the area seems quiet at night, and the windows are well sealed.

Staff was friendly and exceedingly helpful. I had to receive and send a fax for a real estate transaction, and they were more than happy to comply. The cleaning staff often greeted us in the halls with smiles and "hellos" or "good mornings." I didn't use the fitness center, but it looked decent. There's no pool, but guests are welcome to use the pool next door at the Clarion. The free breakfast was not a five-star gourmet experience, but it sufficed, and included hot items such as biscuits and gravy, sausage links and pre-made cheese omelets that were not bad with salsa on them.

I had a few small quibbles, but they weren't deal breakers. I'd gladly stay here again, especially for the price.

The air conditioner was kind of noisy, but that's normal for this type of room. Water pressure or maybe the showerhead could have been better - I have long hair and it's hard to rinse out the shampoo if I don't have enough pressure. And it would be nice to see them add in-room safes. I wanted to leave my iPad one day, but they only have metal safe deposit boxes at the desk, and the iPad didn't fit in it.

All in all, though, it appeared to be a well-kept property with well-trained staff. I recommend it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for the great review, it’s nice when guests take the time to write about the good stuff, it’s greatly appreciated. Come back again soon.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel made a poor impression starting in the lobby and continued on to the front desk and room. Several co-workers and I stayed here for a work conference in March, and when we walked in, the first thing we noticed was a couch across from the front desk with a towel on the seat and a handwritten sign on it that said "out of order"; it was gross and tacky. We arrived mid-morning and as there were no rooms available yet, we asked if we could check our luggage and get a call on our cell phones when the rooms became available; I've done this before in hotels from Seattle to Boston but was told here to "just leave your bags over there against the wall" in the lobby, and "we don't have checked bag tags. Just check back in a few hours to see if the rooms are available." Hmmm. We looked at each other and hoped our bags would be fine.
When we were finally able to check in, the rooms were outdated and worse, there was a long, black hair hanging over the shower curtain in my bathroom. I didn't feel like it was very clean. When I tried to logon to the free Internet on my laptop, I couldn't, and the front desk told me I had to call an outside company's 800 number for help; it sounded like this happened often. It took 10 minutes to get hooked up.
The heater/airconditioning unit was so loud when it was on that it was difficult to sleep without earplugs.
The area was good and bad; a short walk to the Convention Center and restaurants, but sketchy because of all the homeless people around; I did not feel completely safe walking home one night after meeting a friend for coffee. I would not recommend this hotel, or wish to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the feedback and sorry for the issues you experienced while staying with us. The hotel has been renovated and is looking great.
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Asked for hotel close to Airport for early flight out. This was closest. No shuttle. Taxi from/to airport $34 each way. Hotel is dirty, old, nasty. Wife would not sleep here. Called early to say I needed feather free pillows due to serious allergies and was told all pillows and duvets are cotton. Got to room and pillows were all feather. Called desk and said housekeeping closed and could not help me. Claim to be "convention center" is lie. Only semi close to convention center and I went out of hotel and thought about walking around but neighborhood seemed very ghetto. . I can go into great detail about the room and lobby and elevator and stink (when I walked in I asked if there was a restaurant on site was told no so I have no idea where the cooked dirty socks smell was coming from. Believe it or not. Don't stay here unless you get insane price. Good news...I have not seen any bugs. Oh yea...They had the room reserved for two people but there was only one towel in the room. Horrible.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
strat1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I am not familiar with the hotel you are describing and truly sorry you did not enjoy your experience there.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Sacramento Convention Center? Share your experiences!