“ONLY PLACE in Sacramento for "Thai food same Thailand"” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #110 of 1,771 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: Thai
Sacramento, California
“ONLY PLACE in Sacramento for "Thai food same Thailand"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

CHADA THAI: THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE I GO IN SACRAMENTO FOR THAI FOOD that conjures up the THAILAND tastes I REMEMBER.
The owner is great as he will make accommodations and cook Pak Boon (a veggie) I bring in.
(DO NOT CONFUSE CHADA WITH "Taste of Thai" its next door neighbor -- In Venice, IT...I made that mistake and ate at the wrong restaurant- and I was SO sorry)

Must preface my review:
I lived in Chiang Mai/Northern Thailand for 18 months. I'm a white boy from Modesto, CA. who has traveled. I'm so spoiled when it comes to authentic Thai food that I will NOT go to most any American Thai Restaurants. HOWEVER, I go to CHADA THAI on Broadway in Sacramento, CA.

CHADA'S food is lightly spicy with a wonderful mix of flavors...you can ask for more spice.

ON TO THE IMPORTANT ISSUE:
"FOOD": I look for food that reminds me of Thailand...Thai Food NOT FOUND in many USA Thai Restaurants.

My CHADA FAVORITES:
1) GREEN mango salad "Yam Ma Muang" (I order a double portion of the salad WITHOUT the shrimp on top for the same price---I WANT the salad). If you like spicy tart apples...you'll love GREEN MANGO. Green mango slices are sold on the streets from vendors in BKK.

2) "Yam Nua"(Yam=Salad, Nua=Beef)
Best I have tasted...and I have tasted many different Thai meat Salads.

3) "Som Tum Thai" (green papaya salad) I do not order this at Chada because they offer green mango salad. If green mango was not available...MY NEXT BEST OPTION: Som Tum Thai- and they do it very well. But not like seeing it ground in an upright large stone pestle and mortar on the streets...with crab and shrimp ground in. It is wonderful for the typical American taste.

4) A green curry dish: my brother loves...but what does he know...ONLY what he tastes. SO IT MUST BE GOOD.

5) If you like wide 3" noodles, fried with egg, and veggie bits; this one is very good: PAD SE EW (PAD= fried, wide noodle) ( add gai-chicken, goong- shrimp). I loved this one for breakfast without the meat.

It is up to you to find the Thai dishes you like. You find something you like...write a review. Everyone likes different things.

Personally: I order "Thai Hot" (prik mak mak)...and then add more because Chada Thai will give you a traditional container of diluted fish sauce and sliced Thai chili's (prik nam pla) should you need to add. Chada will serve a pot of condiments; similar as is served at every curbside stand on the streets in Thailand...and in every BKK/CM interior restaurant. Not often found in USA Thai. Easy to add spice...difficult to take it away.

My Thai friends in Thailand marvel at how I like my food so spicy. I will not tell you of my love for SOM-OH/pomelo and dragonfruit because if found in USA, it is like eating day old bread. SHOULD you travel to ASIA...find it, try it...and it my come to the USA like Kiwi fruit did 30 yrs ago....Kiwi was expensive in '83 and now it's a dime a dozen.

I wanted to increase my Thai language...found a Thai lady in W.Sac. for lessons, I asked her, "What is your favorite Sacramento Thai restaurant?"...her reply: "I cook Thai food at home. IF I go out for Thai Food...it is that place on Broadway......Chada Thai". I told her, I AGREE!

• Visited November 2011