Last evening I attended a birthday party at the Embassy Suites at the Riverfront in Sacramento. The guest of honor was celebrating her 99th birthday; guests, not surprisingly, included siblings, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great grandchildren, nieces, nephews and a number of friends. I thought that a facility like the Embassy Suites which booked the event would have taken steps to be prepared for the arrival of such an age diverse group; unfortunately, I was mistaken.
The valet manager was quick to advise that the property was a hotel that needed to reserve parking for its overnight guests. That seems fair enough; if I were an overnight guest, I would expect to be able to park at the hotel where I had a reservation. The property's notion that it needed to determine which customers were to be denied service left guests with contracted events with no alternative but to seek parking elsewhere and walk to the hotel from wherever that might be. Frankly, I would find this an unsatisfactory situation in any circumstance, but when this occurs at the birthday party of a 99 year old, it tells me something about the service culture of the establishment.
Could the hotel have arranged to valet park to a remote location? Of course they could have, but that would have required foresight and advance planning; in other words, first, they would actually need to consider and care about the welfare of their guests. I asked the valet manager if he had truly thought through what he was doing; he insisted that he had.
Not surprisingly, the food and service at the event were mediocre at best. Dry salmon was served with overlooked broccoli. Servers were generally pleasant though not the least bit attentive.
I enjoy frequenting businesses that provide good service because they sincerely care about the quality of their customer's experience. This Embassy Suites is simply not such a business.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Newly Renovated Embassy Suites Sacramento - Riverfront Promenade hotel is located on the Sacramento River across from historic Old Town Sacramento. This full-service upscale all-suite hotel is just minutes from the California State Capitol, ARCO Arena, Sacramento International Airport and the Cal Expo - California Exposition and State Fair. Guests of the Embassy Suites Sacramento hotel stay in spacious two-room suites and will enjoy many hotel amenities, services, and facilities in addition to our Complimentary Cooked-to-Order Breakfast and Complimentary Nightly Manager's Reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hilton Hotels, Tingo, Priceline, getaroom.com, Reservation Counter, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Embassy Suites Sacramento - Riverfront Promenade reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Sacramento - Riverfront Promenade Hotel Sacramento
- Embassy Suites Hotel Sacramento
- Sacramento Embassy Suites