“excellent staff, frayed rug, breakfast fine” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #59 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
Burlington, Vermont
“excellent staff, frayed rug, breakfast fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I needed a place to stay last week in Sacramento, while I waited for my next travel nursing assignment paperwork to clear. The manager was very professional and helpful, and the staff helpful. I didn't use the pool, so can't speak to its condition, but there was usually someone using it when I walked by. Ended up staying for 6 nights, and saw no questionable activities, even though the room was on the back side of the motel, where the drug dealers and hookers are reported to hang out. It was nice and quiet. Having said that, I would advise anyone staying in this price point level of motel in a city this size to keep their kids supervised at all times, and not be surprised if some of their temporary "neighbors" are not folks they might invite to Sunday dinner.

I had just driven to California from the East Coast, and stayed at Quality Ins the entire trip, as I am VERY picky about my sleeping arrangements, and their beds are very comfy; plenty of pillows and the sheets are SO SOFT!! That said, I had just seen a piece on the Today show that morning about the places in ANY motel room that you should always wipe down, and had picked up a package of wipes when I stopped at the store that day - and I was glad I did. I have to agree that the carpets are filthy - vacuumed, but frayed and filthy. And since I travel with my cat, I never know what condition my room will be in, but this was the first QI that smelled like pee every time I walked into the room. I have bad sinuses and impaired sense of smell, so it didn't bother me as much as it might have if I had noticed after I shut the door, which I didn't, so I didn't complain.

I did notify the front desk shortly after I checked in that I had needed to wipe down multiple areas in the room out of precautions in most cases, but while doing so I found a single stray hair in the sink and a smear of makeup on th counter. The clerk apologized profusely, and since the manager subsequently agreed to adjust my room rate, which they then held at that lower rate while I stayed 6 nights instead of the originally intended 1 or two nights.

And I'm not sure what the problem was with the breakfast - it was at the high end of what's generally provided for complimentary breakfast at this level of accommodations: bagels, english muffins, an assortment of cold cereals and oatmeal, OJ, apple juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, a small offering of fresh fruit, sausages and a make-it-yourself waffle iron. This was the first QI I've stayed at that didn't have fat-free milk, but there was plenty of whole and 2%.

All in all, I felt quite safe during this unexpectedly extended stay, and my travel budget certainly appreciated the break from spending too much on a room while I waited for my next assignment (and next paycheck) to begin. It's very conveniently located to the I80, Ihop, Carl's Jr., Taco Bell and McDonald's. If they install some new carpeting and clean more thoroughly, I'd upgrade the rating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
QualitySacramento, General Manager at Quality Inn Sacramento North, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
We always appreciate when our guests take the time to write such thoughtful, detailed reviews. Your safety is our first priority, and we're glad to hear that you felt comfortable, especially since you were traveling alone. We know that there is always room for improvement, and you left some fantastic feedback for us to consider. In fact, we're in the process of replacing our rugs. They should be in perfect condition for your next stay. Thank you for staying with us, and for your honesty. We'd be happy to have you back next time you're in Sacramento!

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Thank God I only stayed here for one night!!! I came here with my church youth group for Acquire the Fire 2012. Since there were 28 people in our group, we had to have 4 people per room, which was 7 rooms in total. We raised money ourselves for the trip and hoped to get a decent hotel. I understand we couldn't afford a high-end hotel, so I guess we just ended up staying in this little shabby shack.
Originally, me and one friend had a room far away from the other people in our youth group. We switched with a family that came with our youth group from church, since we had to share our flat irons and clothes with our friends (they originally had a room with just them two), so we stayed with them to keep the number of people in rooms balanced again. We also switched rooms with that family because this hotel is in a semi-dangerous location (there was this guy [not giving out his ethnicity for a number of reasons] staring at me and my friend as we were switching rooms and trying to follow us. There were also some hookers and drug dealers across the street staring at us. The only positive thing about the location was the closeness of the fast food joints nearby; but even then, there were still some weird people there too.
I would also like to say the room was only OKAY. The shower squeaked a lot and the towels smelled like feet and felt scratchy. I had to carry my shoes around because I didn't want to walk on the smelly and sticky carpet. The bedspread had a sort of weird stain (couldn't make out what it was) so I had to take it off and wash my hands immediately. I only slept for about 4 hours (my average is 10) due to the constant noise of some people running through the halls and yelling across to friends. The next morning, my friends and I were getting dressed and doing our hair and makeup and some weird guy (again, not giving out his ethnicity) knocked on our door asking us for crack. This scared us so we locked the door and thankfully the curtains were already closed. About half hour later, I was done getting ready before my friends, so I thought I might as well get some breakfast downstairs. So I walked over to the lobby and there weren't very many choices for food. Instead, I just chilled with the other people from my youth group until we had to leave. At that time, we all walked over to McDonald's for breakfast.
My all around review? Meh... I give it about a 2 out of 5. Pretty crappy location with the exception of the fast food joints. Other than that, the rooms were pretty crappy when it . Me and my friend (in our original room before we switched) had a guest mattress bed or whatever the heck they call those and it was all full of crumbs and hair and it smelled like sweat. YUCK! I really have nothing much to say about this. But it's not a TERRIBLE place to stay, nor is it the best place to stay. But if there's nowhere else to stay or your other hotel is overbooked, then why the heck not? Go for it.

Room Tip: Make sure if you're going with a big group like I did, get rooms altogether on the same floor an...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Quality Inn Sacramento North, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for giving us a try. Our first priority is to make sure that all of our guests feel safe. We have security on site and I would have happily sent them to your room. Please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm sorry that you were awakened by other guests. Again, we're happy to quiet them for you so you can get some rest. Did you alert the front desk?

The conditions you described are not up to our standard, and I will certainly discuss this with housekeeping. Thank you for your honesty. Although it was disappointing to hear about this, not knowing would have been worse.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My family & I stayed there this weekend. We went for a softball tournaments. Pool was gross our coaches had to clean it out. The rooms were so dirty we went out & bought lysol wipe everything down. The breakfast gave everyone the runs. That's not even the worst part!! There drug deals & hookers that hang out outside!!!!!! Very scary place!! Think about it before they take your $$. I will NEVER stay there again. I wish I could have my money back!!

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Quality Inn Sacramento North, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
I am sorry to hear about this. We take all of the necessary measures to ensure that our guests are safe. I want to make this right for you. Please call me at (916) 927-7117 if you'd like to discuss this further.

Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

The room was unclean and the carpets were filthy and tattered(vacuumed but filthy non the less). The green bedspread had an old dried, stain that looked suspiciously like a bodily fluid. The bedding appeared lumpy and extremely uninviting. The bathroom looked wiped down instead of cleaned. The railings leading to the up stair rooms was filthy and had cobwebs. The trash basket had been used and for a non smoking room, it had an overwhelming smell of tobacco that reeked of some sort of air freshener, poorly masking the overall smell of the room. It gave me the creeps being in the room and after seeing the stain on the bedding, an overwhelming sense that something was crawling on my skin. Yuk!!The managerial response to our complaints were unprofessional and harsh. We were initially told that we could not have the charges reversed, even though we did not spend the night, because we had already checked in an hour before. After much drama and complaints of this writer still undergoing cancer treatments and another family member with asthma...threats of a lawsuit and proof that pictures had been taken, we were assured that the charges would be reversed. I have pictures, but are saving them for any legal action that may ensue if all of the charges are not reversed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Quality Inn Sacramento North, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us, as it allows me to address these issues. We take pride in maintaining a clean, welcoming hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your room. However, we did offer you another room after you voiced your concerns. We have since reimbursed you for the incident, and this should clear within three business days. While I'm sorry that you were disappointed, we have taken all of the necessary steps to uphold our high standards, and we stand by them. I'm glad that we have reached a resolution and I hope that all is well with you and your family.

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Good value for a clean room and decent breakfast.
What bumps it up to a 4 star is the cheerful helpful staff. While we were there, they were having trouble with some new key cards so we had to deal with the staff a few times. What could have been an annoyance was no trouble at all thanks to the friendly fast response from the staff.

Room Tip: There is an elevator, so get the 3rd floor for quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
QualitySacramento, General Manager at Quality Inn Sacramento North, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Those key cards can give us trouble every now and then! Thanks for your patience. I'm glad we could get everything taken care of, and make you feel so welcome. Thanks for the wonderful review. We hope to see you next time you're in Sacramento!

Los Gatos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Good value. The staff is very nice and helpful. This is my home away from home, I stay there ones a month.
Thanks for always welcoming me

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
QualitySacramento, General Manager at Quality Inn Sacramento North, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thanks for writing such a lovely review. We're proud to be your home-away-from-home, so don't hesitate to ask if there's anything we can do to make your stay that much better! We'll see you soon.

Ridgefield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This Quality Inn is located just off I-80 where it joins I-5 and is handy for travelers on either freeway. It is a larger facility and offers great rates. (I used the senior rate off the Choice Hotel website.) Lots of nice parking and fast food is next door, with several choices. Our queen room was large and well maintained. Everything worked and was clean. No fridge or micro, but the breakfast was substantial and varied. We are adding this hotel to our "fer sure" places to stay again.

Room Tip: They have an elevator, so access is easy to all rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
QualitySacramento, General Manager at Quality Inn Sacramento North, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so we’re happy to make sure you’re well-fed before you head out the door. I’m glad that we could help make your stay in Sacramento a great one. Thanks for the wonderful review!

Raneeka, General Manager

Been to Quality Inn Sacramento North? Share your experiences!