“Cool find!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
Orlando, Florida
“Cool find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just needed a place to stay for one night in Sacrament, and I wanted to stay downtown. We went on TripAdvisor and looked at several, but we couldn't justify paying some of the prices considering we'd be in and out the next morning. Then I found this place... Right near the Capitol, and we were able to just walk to lots of restaurants and things going on right around there. One note on Downtown Sac...wish your coffee shops stayed open later!! There was a Starbucks and a Java City right nearby, but alas they were closed and it was only 830 or 9pm.
But the hotel was great ...spacious rooms, really cool indoor atrium with a surprisingly good breakfast spread of bagels, danish, cereals, coffee and tea. Lots of couches and tables for sitting and relaxing. (there's a good pic of it in the photos)
Rate was VERY reasonable compared to area hotels. And most importantly, in a town where you can't find parking and it's expensive, they offer free parking.
We were happy!

• Stayed May 2012
PCGeneralManager, General Manager at Inn off Capitol Park, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your cool find "The Inn Off Capitol Park, An Ascend Collection Hotel". I'm glad you were able to visit the restaurants in the area and also sit, relax and enjoy our breakfast in the hotel atrium. We love to make our customers happy! Wev appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

I am familiar with most of the hotels in the Sacramento area; my girlfriend and I spend a night a week on average trysting in them (we're not married to others, just lazy housekeepers). And the Good Nite Inn ($35 but clean) and Vagabond Inn just ain't romantic enough, to say the least.
For $100 on Fri-Sun nights (too expensive at $140 during the week for us) you get a room that is indistinguishable from one at the Hyatt save for it's being smaller and the bathroom is a bit Motel 6-ish (but clean, with good hot water and pressure). Mattress and linen top shelf, fridge, microwave, flat screen, very plush. I've never had a problem with noise. Pleasant common area (atrium-like) with ceiling fans;juices, fresh fruit, pastries, coffee and tea for breakfast. Free parking in indoor area.
The hotel is also centrally located in very good area, unlike cheaper ($50-90) places near Arden, Discovery Park or J St. Walking distance to dining and clubs on J, L and R Sts, 2 blocks from Capitol Rose Garden, 1.5 mi from Old Sac.

All in all, the perfect place for a romantic couple of nights in downtown Sac that won't break the bank.

• Stayed April 2012
Thank You for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We love to hear from our local guests too. We are very pleased to know you consider our hotel a "perfect place for a romantic couple". Looking forward to serve you again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is a great little hotel in the perfect location. The staff was wonderful. Check in was smooth and every staff member we came in contact with was more than willing to offer restaurant recommendations, etc. We were originally booked for three nights but when a change of plans occurred, I was able to extend it for a fourth night.

The room was definitely on the small side, but was very comfortable. Our room did not have any evidence of poor housekeeping or lack of maintenance that others have described. Our room faced N St. and we did have a little noise, but the fan drowned that out. The water pressure in the room was wonderful. There was also a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker in our room. Others have mentioned parking problems. I don't believe the hotel was full when we were there, but there were always multiple spaces available even when arriving late at night. The spots are tight though, especially if you have a larger vehicle.

We only had breakfast one day while there and it was a basic continental breakfast. Nothing to complain about, but nothing spectacular either.

We were in town for a wedding that took place in downtown Sacramento. The hotel was within an easy walk to the church, making it perfect since my husband and I had to be at the church at different times. It's also within a very easy walk to capitol park. I would highly recommend taking the time to visit the park. Besides the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, there's a rose garden, a tree grove and many other beautiful areas.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again with no hesitations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Please accept our sincere thanks for your review regarding your pleasant stay at our hotel. We are always happy to hear from our guests, especially when their experience is a pleasant one. Thank You for the recommendations for other guests to visit the capitol park, it is an excellent area to visit and explore and within a very short walk from our hotel.

Hope to see you again soon!

General manager
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I found the staff at the desk to be very helpful. I arrived before check-in time & was told I could wait in the tiny lobby or in the atrium, which is airy & bright, with comfortable seating. I chose to go out, & I received great advice about local eateries, coffee shops, etc. in the area. They held my bags & I walked around Capitol Park, which was lovely. Roses weren't yet in bloom, but I've seen the rose garden before, & it is spectacular! My room was actually a tiny suite, with a sitting area & 2 flat screen TVs. The bed & linens were VERY comfortable & everything was immaculate. I had a room on the 3rd floor, and it was quiet all night. But there was a noise issue for me in the morning: There is an exercise room in the area of the atrium & someone was on a treadmill or some machine that made a huge racket & was talking with someone else. The door to the exercise room was open, & the sounds actually woke me up at 6:30 a.m. & I am a heavy sleeper. I could not figure out what was making those awful sounds, until I got up & investigated. Not a lot of sound insulation in the rooms, I guess. Other than that, though, I enjoyed my stay - had free cookies in the early evening, enjoyed their atrium, got a map & good advice for eating & shopping, as I was on foot & a little nervous about being out & about at night. But all was well. An enjoyable experience overall.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms, away from the exercise room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid review. Our employees are our most valuable assets and we are very pleased when they are helpful to our guests and succeed in making our guest feel welcome. I appreciate you for taking the time to let us know where improvement is needed as well so we may continue to maintain our high standards.

Hope to see you soon on your next trip to Sacramento!

Prescott Valley, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Very poor maintenance. Maid staff not discrete, parking carts and piling linens and supplies in front of occupied rooms so high they are in front of the windows.
AC unit was improperly installed, and had pulled off of wall, attached only by the refrigerant lines. Smoke detector had no battery installed (battery door was open).
Refer and Microwave sat next to door, instead of my coffee maker, etc. Some lights did not work properly. Hot water was WAY too hot and would easily burn a child.
WiFi quit working the next morning. No decent places to eat within walking distance, unless you like overpaying, but driving somewhere else will cost you a parking space, since the hotel doesn't have enough parking for every room.
Poor breakfast, even by 'continental' standards. Most hotels at this price have the self serve waffles. This place doesn't even have a toaster for bread and bagels. Ick
Desk clerk was sick, and made no attempt not to spread it to every guest.
Never again.

Room Tip: Holiday Inn Express, instead.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Great location, free parking, lovely atrium and comfortable, clean room. I read a few of the negative reviews but I found none of that. Even on New Year's Eve there was no noise problem. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and appointed with a small fridge and microwave. Everything about it was convenient. For a hotel so reasonably priced it exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011 via mobile

I cant believe i HAVE to give this place a 1STAR! I'm so disappointed. I understand that this hotel is located in midtown, very limited on space, however, it could've been better. So, we checked in on 9/16/11 around 4:30ish. We we're informed that there will be breakfast at 6am7:00 and will be served on the 2nd floor, then appointed upstairs to our room on the 2nd floor as well. Not a problem. The elevator was awkward to begin with. We get up to our room, 203, right in front of the breakfast and lounge area, awkward. The people in the lobby were rude, they just stared at us. The room, It was small, there was a fridge, a small desk, a "queen" bed, which was really only a full sized bed, and the usual 2 nigh stand and blah blah blah. Anyways, bathroom, standard. The evening went well, went to dinner and back in by 11pm. People were still in the lounge, and talking loudly. Rude! Tucked away into bed by 2am bc bed was uncomfortable. 7am, loud talking, laughing, and noises, people were up, having breakfast and moving metal chairs around on tiles, creating disruptions, and causing us to have to wake up. Finally, 730 rolls around, still loud right outside my door, I call front desk to ask the people to please keep it down. The girl said she'd be up in 10 minutes to ask them. Never heard a prompt from her. 8am, still disruptions outside my door. I'm upset by now. So I go downstairs and talk to the girl myself. I returned to the room, kindly, we were offered a late check out at 1230pm so we can nap. We finally dozed off, around 10am, and of course, we were awoken by housekeeping. Not at our door, but in other rooms, talking and, vacuuming, and with the vacuum cleaner banging against the walls! Whatever, we rolled outta bed, showered and left this dump. I will never recommend this place, and am now looking to see if I can get my money back. Last nights sleepless night was and is worse than having a newborn baby at home, which was the main reason for this escape. Stay away from this place. ONE MORE THING, NO WIFI. THEY SAID COMCAST SAID IT WAS ISSUES FROM HOTELS END, AND HOTEL SAYS IT COMCAST! Again.... THIS PLACE IS A DUMP!

• Stayed September 2011
palmcourt2011, Public Relations Manager at Inn off Capitol Park, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Hello, thank you for your candor regarding your recent visit to the hotel. I am very sorry your experience was not a good one. Please call me, or email me, whatever your preference, as I would like to discuss things with you.

Best regards,

Matthew Silver

Royal Guest Hotels
916-455-4000 x 612
matt@royalguesthotels.com

Been to Inn off Capitol Park? Share your experiences!