“Great place in strange area” 4 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Inn Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   430 16th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814   |
Ranked #57 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
Brno, Czech Republic
“Great place in strange area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

In general we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel: the breafast was very good, the rooms clean and big, staff was friendly and willing to help, wifi was included, fridge and microwave at the room. However, there were quite a lot homeless people in the area and the hotel is about 15 minutes walk to downtown. If in another location, I would rate "5 stars".

Room Tip: It seemed to me that the wifi signal is week at the third floor, could be better at second or first...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Harry S, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Downtown, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
I am Very glad that you have had wonderful experience at My property. If there is anything i can do extra to have your stay even more positive. Please fel free to call me any time at (916) 444-3670. Thank you.

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nono, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Clean comfortable rooms. Our TV was not working and the manager lady offered us another room. Breakfast the next morning was a nice treat to the kids (and us). Place is in a quiet neighborhood. Around 20 min walk to the Capitol.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

The appearance of the building is somewhat worn and not accurately reflected in pictures. For the money, the rooms were ok, very clean, but somewhat worn ! If you are just passing through and looking for a place to sleep, this will do it. If you are looking for fancy, look elsewhere. No pool, no in-room coffee pot, and the elevator is not operational. That makes it difficult when your on the 3rd floor carrying 2 weeks worth of clothes.

• Stayed August 2012
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The rooms were clean and the area has a few good priced restaurants close by. A laundromat across the street was also a big plus.

The value for this hotel is its biggest selling point - my room was one fourth of what the hotels near the convention center charged. Yeah-I'm cheap but I felt this hotel was more than adequate for the price.

• Stayed July 2012
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

It is currently 4:00am and I am writing this review from my room after what I can say without a doubt has been the worst night's sleep I have ever had in a hotel in my life. Last night when we got into our room, it seemed fairly decent........ but after attempting to sleep here, I can say it is far from that. We would have been more comfortable sleeping in our car.

The mattress feels like it's been around since the civil war. I'm not talking about a slightly worn out mattress. I mean that it has a HUGE sink hole in the middle. We both ended up in the middle fighting for space on a queen-sized bed.all night. Every time I would move towards the edge in an attempt to get comfortable, I'd inevitably roll quickly back down into the middle. In my desperation, I even considered sleeping on the floor, but seeing how often they change their mattresses, I don't even want to wonder how often they steam the carpet.

Although the heating unit fan does have "high" "low" and "auto" settings, they are all really "auto" so there is no way to keep the fan on to drown out the noises of downtown sacramento without having to constantly turn up the thermostat. You're forced to choose between roasting yourself out or listening to someone's very loud TV, and what sounded like someone dumping a crate of glass containers out of a third story window. I really hope I won't discover it was actually someone breaking my car windshield.

The only reason I am giving two stars instead of one is because the room is clean and doesn't stink.

If for some reason you find yourself staying here, test out the bed as soon as you get to your room, well before unpacking your suitcase or letting it get late. I wish I would have realized the mattress problems earlier on so I could have asked for another room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Harry S, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Downtown, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Thank you for your comments we appreciate your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced while staying at our Inn. We review all of your comments and make changes when necessary. In 2010 we did a complete renovation of all of our guest rooms and everything was replaced including the bedding. Our new beds are all Serta plush pillow top mattresses. We are not totally sure why you would have this problem but again we apologize for your inconvenience.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!