“Better choice that you'd expect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sacramento NE Cal Expo

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sacramento NE Cal Expo to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sacramento NE Cal Expo
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   2224 Auburn Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95821   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
San Jose, California
“Better choice that you'd expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is a fairly new property next to Business 80. Despite it's proximity to the freeway, it's not noisy. Since this is a Holiday Inn Express there's not much of a lobby, but there is a large common room where they have their complimentary buffet breakfast. The buffet is okay, not bad but not stellar. Common areas are clean and nicely decorated.
The room wasn't huge, but had enough space, I didn't feel cramped. The bathroom was well-decorated, and if it had had upscale soaps and such you wouldn't know it was a Holiday Inn Express. The bed was comfortable, there's sufficient closet space (though it's far from huge), and the furnishings are in good shape. There's a minifridge and microwave, though I can't say I used either. There is no on-property restaurant, so other than breakfast you have to drive 10 minutes to get food. Fortunately, Arden Mall is close and there are many restaurants there and nearby there.
My only complaint was my pet peeve: wall-mount air conditioning is loud, making for interruptions in my sleep when the weather's hot.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
About 10-15 minutes up the freeway is the newly rechristened Crowne Plaza, and I have to say that of the two, I think this is the better hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

I was very impressed with the friendly staff. The rooms are very clean and look brand new. Well appointed and tastefully decorated.

• Stayed May 2012
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Horrible experience. There were kids in the hotel screaming in the hallways starting at 6am, it never ended. Staff was rude, and the place was dirty. They also charged three times the amount I had agreed to pay. Now I'm having to deal with my credit card to fight the false charges. When I called to ask about these charges, I was told I agreed to pay it. I did not. My receipt proves that. There are way too many places to stay in Sacramento, I would recommend you keep looking, it's too late for me. Save yourselves!!!

Room Tip: A different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Jamie E, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sacramento NE Cal Expo, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
I apologize that you did not have a pleasant stay at our property. We are Sacramento's NEWEST hotel (only 2 years old) and our decor, cleanliness, staff training & attentiveness is above normal of your average property. We do have a lot of sports teams on the weekends and apologize for any inconvenience that they may have caused you. The teams are usually very respectful of other guests at the property and are normally gone by 8-9am in the mornings. If there is a complaint, we contact the coach or group leader to address the problem, which is usually taken care of immediately.
As for billing issues to your account, I am not sure who you spoke with but if you would like to contact me directly, I will escalate your situation directly to the AGM or GM to discuss/resolve.
I look forward to the opportunity of speaking with you and to also have the opportunity to have you stay with us again.
Jamie Engelleiter
Fortuna, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This place was very clean and nice. Well kept outside and inside. The room had a minifridge and microwave. Iron and board. Nice TV. The bathroom is very nice, but very dim. Lighting is intimate and romantic, but in the bathroom I want light! The tub is non-textured, so if you have poor balance, elderly, or get in too quicly, you could easily fall. Also, there are no bars to assist in getting in or out, so if you are disabled, that might be a problem. Perhaps there are rooms that are more appropriate for disabled and elderly, but this was not one of them. It is right off I-80, but it was not very easy to locate or get to. Also, it is not in an area a tourist or famiy would appreciate. Very industrial and not walk friendly to any food or entertainment. There is no restuarant just a walk away. The only place we could find was Casino Royale which was about 2 blocks away. Good variety of food at a decent price, but it was served in the bar of the casino. When I checked this place on line it stated there was great restaurant called the Malabar right next door. The clerk had no idea about this place. The breakfast at the hotel in the morning had hot items, but the premade omelettes were interesting. The sausage was good and there was varity of muffins, bagels, etc. The pancake maker was out of order. This is a good place for business, It is clean, nice/friendly staff, but not family or tourist oriented. The price I believe wa 94 per night, so it was a good price.

Room Tip: The hotel is right off I-80 so anything away from the highway. Also, if you are disabled or elderly...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sacramento NE Cal Expo, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear littleheart36,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you liked your room accommodations as well as our breakfast. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the hotel location. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Prescott Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

After a horrible stay at the Inn Off Capitol Park, I left and ended up staying here. The manager was very friendly and helpful, especially since I was a walk-in.
Thorough information, and everything was clean, well maintained, and looked nice.
Nice touches included the lap desk awaiting me on the bed, the on screen services (Weather, channels, movies, room account, checkout), and the note from the manager left with my statement under the door. The paper at the door in the morning was also nice, as was the above average self serve breakfast. I appreciated the invitation to the Manager's happy hour, even though I did not attend.
My room was on the side, not the front, so I heard almost no traffic noise.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Little traffic noise on the third floor, near the middle.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Jamie E, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sacramento NE Cal Expo, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Thank you for your recent review. As part of the management team at Sacramento's Newest Addition - Holiday Inn Express & Suites Cal Expo, we take pride in providing Excellent Customer Service to our guests as well as extra amenities! We appreciate your patronage and look forward to having you stay with us again when you visit Sacramento.
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed here for my daughter's soccer tournament. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were nice. The breakfast food was pretty decent for free. My biggest complaint was probably the highway noise. It's right next to Hwy 80 business and there's noise all night from it. The area is ok but it's not a good hotel for walking to different places. It was very reasonably priced and worked for our purposes overall.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Jamie E, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sacramento NE Cal Expo, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. In regards to freeway noise - yes we are located directly next to the freeway. However, being a BRAND NEW BUILD property (Opened Dec 2009) this was taken into consideration and all of our sleeping rooms facing the freeway were double sheet-rocked to reduce the noise. I can personally go to any of these rooms and close the windows and not hear a thing except for the a/c or heater being on. So perhaps your window was partially open during your stay or there was a special event that required above normal traffic. Our property is a new and was built with the guests comforts in mind! I am sure that if you revisit us, you will not experience your concerns in the sleeping rooms again.
Redding CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

Convenient location off Hwy 80. Close to all shopping and restaurants. Full breakfast in morning and nice happy hour weekly. Rooms are comfortable, clean and quiet - furniture updated and in good repair. Staff courteous and helpful - good price for value especially for business travelers. Location is industrial area, nothing scenic but if you are here for a short stay, it's a good choice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sacramento NE Cal Expo? Share your experiences!