“I loved this hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Philadelphia
“I loved this hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I travel quite a bit, and this is one of the nicest boutique hotels in which I've ever stayed. The decor and theme are outstanding! The location is great, and the staff is wonderful. I do not recommend room service, but there's really no need -- the Grange restaurant is OUTSTANDING. There is no need to stay anywhere except the Citizen when in Sacramento. I am not giving the hotel 5 stars because the rooms are a bit small-- otherwise, this hotel is one of my favorites!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Mill Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

I travel to Sacramento occasionally for business and have been somewhat resigned to the fact that I’d have to stay in a generic hotel regardless of the star rating—until now. The Citizen hotel brings a level of hotel sophistication that Sacramento has been sorely lacking. The hotel was opened in November of 2008 but looks like it is has arrived via time machine fresh from the turn of the century, which is great. I’m sure it was an old hotel that was completely refurbished but kept the same vintage style—to great effect.
The location cannot be beat, it is in the heart of downtown and just minutes walk or short drive to pretty much everything.
The staff was a mixed bag from professional to just clearly learning the ropes. I’m guessing they’ll have it figured out by the next time I’m there.
If you want boutique sophistication in Sacramento, this is the ONLY place to stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

HOTEL REVIEW # 168 Citizen Hotel

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business hotels and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Walking distance to many restaurants in the downtown area. About a 30 minute drive from the airport.

TYPE OF ROOM: Suite.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Very comfortable but not as a good as a Starwood hotel. Bed is a bit softer than average and sheets are too scratchy.

LIGHTING: Very good in room and bathroom.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Spacious and attractive. Shower had ok water pressure but didn’t stay hot long enough.

TOILETRIES: Excellent.

CLEANLINESS: Hotel is 5 months new and everything is very clean.

A/C: Worked well keeping room cool.

STYLE OF ROOM: Stylish and comfortable.

COMMON AREA: Very nice and unique. Some places to hang out and a small bar upstairs.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Room was always quiet and all morning light could be blocked with the curtains.

TV/INTERNET: HD flat screen TV with about 20 channels. Internet is wired and very fast. No charge if join their frequent stay program.

SERVICE: Staff was exceptionally nice and called to make sure my room was satisfactory. Never asked if they could help with my bags on the way to the car.

SUMMARY: Definitely the best place to stay in town and the only hip, stylish place in Sacramento. I will stay here again on my next trip to Sacramento and highly recommend this hotel.

long beach, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

I was very surprised. Our capital is a little grimy but the hotel was very nice the rooms were a nice size and very comfortable. The hotel and staff were very attentive. It is super close to the legislative centers. I would say this should be on your short list of hotels if you travel to Sacramento for business or recreation.

One minus is the fitness center was closed and I asked to be told of any construction before my stay and they did not inform me. I was not happy about that.

Beijing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

The Citizen Hotel has an event space on its 7th floor. Yesterday morning at 645am someone began soundchecking for an event that, as it turned out, began at 830am (on a Friday morning). Every few minutes they would blast U2 and "check 1, 2" into the very loud microphone. The room they gave me was on the 10th floor directly above the event area. Two other people in my party (on the 7th fl) itself were also woken up. We'd had a tough week and were very much looking forward to a good night of sleep. At 830am the sound of some large event (applause, crowd laughter, speeches) began. So several issues: why did they not warn me that such an event was scheduled at 830am? More importantly, why would they schedule such an event at 830am when the event area was surrounded by dozens of rooms? I complained and they were relatively friendly, but when they discovered that my room was purchased through Expedia, they suggested there was nothing they could do but they would offer me a $50 credit at their hotel restaurant. This seemed small comfort given that they'd already agreed to comp all three rooms that had problems. I ultimately convinced them to give me equivalent value for the rooms they'd agreed to comp.

So in the end I reached a satisfactory solution, but it was quite surprising that it took so much work on my part (and they did not have a more proactive attitude) and indeed they did not seem particularly apologetic about what I saw as egregiously bad hotel management. Given that they have just opened, you'd expect mix-ups and kinks, but an attitude that does not reflect a particularly enthusiastic attitude toward fixing problems is one that cannot easily be changed. It likely reflects the attitude of senior management and manifests itself in the way staff are hired and trained.

This all said, the rooms were very nice. But I had to work too hard to get satisfaction in the face of a hotel mistake and did not get the good night's sleep that I really needed. A recommendation for the hotel: just because customers purchased nights of stay through Expedia does not mean the hotel should wash itself of responsibility for issues and try to direct customers to deal with Expedia's bureacracy. Please do yourself a favor and work out a policy for handling these sorts of things administratively as I'm sure you will get many customers through web reservations.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
citops, Director of Hotel Operations at The Citizen Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2009
Thank you so much for the feedback and for the opportunity to respond to the issue. These comments have been forwarded to all appropriate parties and they will be used as part of our continuous improvement process. It is largely through the feedback of our guests that we might continually strive towards excellence in our services and product. We value this feedback and will put it to good use. Thank you!
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Pinch me ... this can't be Sacramento!

I travel there on biz at least once a month. What can I say besides this hotel is just spectacular! It's a grown up, big city kind of experience that oozes the history and charm (who knew!0 of Sacramento. Seriously, this has to be the finest lodging establishment in town, bar none.

Speaking of bars, they have two really good ones. One inside Grange (the restaurant which is amazing in itself) and another perched above the lobby called Scandal. I didn't see anything scandalous take place there, but when the lights go down, one can only imagine!

Room are a little small but sumptous. Comfy beds, vibrant warm colors, cool bathrooms and a big flatscreen TV. And the views were fun. (Hotel is 15 stories tall and the higher you go, the better the views.) The building itself is a historic landmark and despite the newness of the hotel, it feels like its been there for years and steeped in history.

Back to the restaurant --- Grange. I've eaten at all the good places in town and this one ranks among the top three. The chef cooks all things local and deserves the praise he's getting. Try the shortribs or any pasta and you'll be very very happy. They also have a two-story wine tower with the state's best bottlings.

Try this place ... you'll return as I did!

• Liked — Gorgeous decor
  • Disliked — Relatively small rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tehachapi, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I was looking for a hotel with quality and character and I found it. It was a new hotel in the area and I took a chance and won. It has been retored from an old law office, it was decorated with class and sophication, the towels and bedding were top notch. The service was flawless. The view from the room was of the Ceasar Chavez Plaza and the City Hall, beatifully lit making it a nice walk in the evening. It was a quiet, clean and well maintained hotel, the newspaper in the morning was a nice touch. I would definately recommend to my friends.

• Liked — Classy hotel
  • Disliked — would hve liked wi-access without a charge
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Citizen Hotel? Share your experiences!