“Unbelievable noise problem” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Beijing
“Unbelievable noise problem”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

The Citizen Hotel has an event space on its 7th floor. Yesterday morning at 645am someone began soundchecking for an event that, as it turned out, began at 830am (on a Friday morning). Every few minutes they would blast U2 and "check 1, 2" into the very loud microphone. The room they gave me was on the 10th floor directly above the event area. Two other people in my party (on the 7th fl) itself were also woken up. We'd had a tough week and were very much looking forward to a good night of sleep. At 830am the sound of some large event (applause, crowd laughter, speeches) began. So several issues: why did they not warn me that such an event was scheduled at 830am? More importantly, why would they schedule such an event at 830am when the event area was surrounded by dozens of rooms? I complained and they were relatively friendly, but when they discovered that my room was purchased through Expedia, they suggested there was nothing they could do but they would offer me a $50 credit at their hotel restaurant. This seemed small comfort given that they'd already agreed to comp all three rooms that had problems. I ultimately convinced them to give me equivalent value for the rooms they'd agreed to comp.

So in the end I reached a satisfactory solution, but it was quite surprising that it took so much work on my part (and they did not have a more proactive attitude) and indeed they did not seem particularly apologetic about what I saw as egregiously bad hotel management. Given that they have just opened, you'd expect mix-ups and kinks, but an attitude that does not reflect a particularly enthusiastic attitude toward fixing problems is one that cannot easily be changed. It likely reflects the attitude of senior management and manifests itself in the way staff are hired and trained.

This all said, the rooms were very nice. But I had to work too hard to get satisfaction in the face of a hotel mistake and did not get the good night's sleep that I really needed. A recommendation for the hotel: just because customers purchased nights of stay through Expedia does not mean the hotel should wash itself of responsibility for issues and try to direct customers to deal with Expedia's bureacracy. Please do yourself a favor and work out a policy for handling these sorts of things administratively as I'm sure you will get many customers through web reservations.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
citops, Director of Hotel Operations at The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2009
Thank you so much for the feedback and for the opportunity to respond to the issue. These comments have been forwarded to all appropriate parties and they will be used as part of our continuous improvement process. It is largely through the feedback of our guests that we might continually strive towards excellence in our services and product. We value this feedback and will put it to good use. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Pinch me ... this can't be Sacramento!

I travel there on biz at least once a month. What can I say besides this hotel is just spectacular! It's a grown up, big city kind of experience that oozes the history and charm (who knew!0 of Sacramento. Seriously, this has to be the finest lodging establishment in town, bar none.

Speaking of bars, they have two really good ones. One inside Grange (the restaurant which is amazing in itself) and another perched above the lobby called Scandal. I didn't see anything scandalous take place there, but when the lights go down, one can only imagine!

Room are a little small but sumptous. Comfy beds, vibrant warm colors, cool bathrooms and a big flatscreen TV. And the views were fun. (Hotel is 15 stories tall and the higher you go, the better the views.) The building itself is a historic landmark and despite the newness of the hotel, it feels like its been there for years and steeped in history.

Back to the restaurant --- Grange. I've eaten at all the good places in town and this one ranks among the top three. The chef cooks all things local and deserves the praise he's getting. Try the shortribs or any pasta and you'll be very very happy. They also have a two-story wine tower with the state's best bottlings.

Try this place ... you'll return as I did!

• Liked — Gorgeous decor
  • Disliked — Relatively small rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tehachapi, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I was looking for a hotel with quality and character and I found it. It was a new hotel in the area and I took a chance and won. It has been retored from an old law office, it was decorated with class and sophication, the towels and bedding were top notch. The service was flawless. The view from the room was of the Ceasar Chavez Plaza and the City Hall, beatifully lit making it a nice walk in the evening. It was a quiet, clean and well maintained hotel, the newspaper in the morning was a nice touch. I would definately recommend to my friends.

• Liked — Classy hotel
  • Disliked — would hve liked wi-access without a charge
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sacramento
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

I booked a suite at new The Citizen Hotel for New Year's Eve. My husband and I were recently married and didn’t get to take a honeymoon, so this was our exciting getaway. When we got to our room it was clear that the room we reserved was not the room they gave us. We were treated extremely rudely by all staff members and it was obvious that they gave our room to someone else and made no effort to fix the situation. I told them I was disappointed and considering checking out. At that point the manager said that I should check out and refused to speak with me face-to-face. We then left the hotel feeling like we were not citizens at all and that they didn't care about us as guests. I have never been treated that way in my life.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
CitizenSacramento, Guest Service Manager at The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2009
Dear Chyann 9,
Thank you for choosing the Citizen Hotel for your recent stay. We appreciate your feed back. I would like to take a moment to respond to your concerns. I apologize that we could not meet your room type needs and that your experience was less than satisfactory.
Thank you again for choosing The Citizen Hotel. We hope that you will consider staying with us again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

This is a beautiful hotel but it just opened so you probably should not stay here until more kinks are worked out in the future.

We had three rooms and, while pretty, were not super impressed in the end due to so many tiny details lacking and the money paid. We would stay here again though in time due to the exceptionally friendly staff.

THE GOOD:

Pretty Building, impressive upon entering

Unique hotel and room decor

Air/Heater worked excellent and fast

Very friendly polite staff

Nice thick robes in room

Super comfortable bed and pillows

THE BAD:

Some rooms are puny so be careful where you end up (think Seattle/NYC/Europe small); had no space to even unpack suitcases

No space/shelves in bathroom for personal items

Some rooms do not have bath tubs

Tile floor in bathrooms is really uncomfortable, they need serious rugs or something

Limited menu choices in restaurant and room service, but good food

No iron/ironing board in room (think this was a mistake)

Didn’t have hot water for showers for 2 days (again, new hotel)

Basic amenities are lacking: shower cap, bathroom mat for cold/slippery tiled floor, etc.

Doors are thin and rooms are small so you can hear everything in hallway

Windows are not sound proof so every city noise outside is in your room (I mean every noise!)

Internet didn’t work consistently

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
CitizenSacramento, Guest Service Manager at The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2008
Dear World traveler 38,
Thank you for choosing the Citizen Hotel. Your feedback is appreciated. I would llike to take a moment to respond to your concerns. While our queen room, in which you stayed, is our smallest room, sizes vary widely throughout the hotel. Also, in regard to irons and boards; they are available upon request, as we stock steamers in the rooms. Over 70% of rooms have new double pane windows and we are currently developing a sound proof solution to test, and I apologize for any disruptive noise that you may have experienced. I would also like to apologize for any problems you experienced concerning hot water availability and internet availability. Again, thank you for choosing The Citizen Hotel, and we hope that you will stay with us again.
Wayne Hall
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

Built in a historic renovated building, this Joie de Vivre boutique hotel is just what Sacramento has been needing - an iconic landmark that celebrates the city's history and culture.

Unlike all the other national chain hotels in town, Citizen gets that Sacramento is a government town and they've built a stylish and urban hotel to celebrate it. The theme is politics - photos of past California politicians and political events (anything from protests in the 60's to school children touring the Capitol building) decorate the walls. Visitors of right and left political leanings will be pleased to know that the hotel does an excellent job of representing both parties' histories; I honestly didn't sense a "bent" to the hotel at all. The theme extends to all aspects of the hotel: In the rooms there are political cartoons and the conference and meeting rooms are called things like "Legislature Room" and the "Big 4 Lounge". The lobby is also decorated like a legal library with leather bound case books stacked up to the second floor. Scandal, the bar, features photos on the wall of flashing cameras to give you the feel that you're being chased by the paparazzi. All of this is done in an upscale and chic way - not cheesy at all.

As for food, we dined at the restaurant in the hotel which was excellent and featured a lot of locally grown items. The bar, Scandal, was also fun and had some nice drinks - but no shot glasses (disappointing for those of us that wanted Irish Car Bombs). Their menu looked nice as well, but we didn't eat here. The room service menu was a nice change from the ordinary and the food was good, although not as good as the restaurant. I usually think room service items are obscenely costly and of poor quality. While Citizen's room service certainly wasn't cheap, it seemed more worth its value because it was actually edible.

The rooms are fairy small, I assume maybe because this was an old building, but they are nicely decorated and very comfortable. All of the electronics are the latest and the bed was very comfortable. For being situated on a major downtown street, it was really quiet at night. Our room had a lovely view of City Hall and our friend's room overlooked the State Capitol. Rooms have a great attention to detail. Even the morning paper comes in a bag outside your door that says "Read between the lines" - cute.

My only complaint about the room is the bathroom. They were large - maybe a little too large - and the tile floor (while keeping in line with the theme and decor) was really cold. The door was a sliding door and I couldn't figure out how to keep it fully shut, it kept sliding open an inch or two. Also, it took forever for my shower to warm up, but given that the hotel has just opened and is far from capacity, I may have just been the first shower of the morning. There also wasn't a garbage can in the bathroom, which was inconvenient. Again, it could be chalked up to working out the bugs, since the hotel has just opened. Hopefully they'll fix these small details.

The staff was attentive, hard working, and ready to please. There is no parking garage, so you'll need to valet your hotel. It takes a while to get your car back, so I suggest calling to the concierge to ask for it before you check out. Also, I don't think the cars are parked in covered parking overnight so be aware if you like to baby your vehicle.

Overall, I thought Citizen was a fabulous stay and is sure to be a destination hotel. If you're from Sacramento, you'll get a kick out of the old-school politics vibe and if you're a visitor it's a must visit to get a taste of our Capitol culture. This is the kind of place I'll take all my out-of-town friends when they visit!

Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Dear Sassysipper,
Thank you for choosing The Citizen Hotel for your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback. I would like to take a moment to resond to your concerns. I apologize for the lack of hot water during your stay; since then we have resolved all hot water issues. Also, we have placed trash cans in the bathrooms of all 198 rooms. Thank you again for choosing The Citizen Hotel. We look foward to you staying with us again.

Wayne Hall
Guest Service Manager

Been to The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!