“Old World Service and Style” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
“Old World Service and Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Citizen is a fantastic hotel in every way. Location, amenities, service, style; it has it all in spades. I have stayed here for 8 nights this month on business. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The Grange restaurant is in the first floor and offers fresh, great tasting fare.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed at The Citizen Hotel for the first time while traveling to Sacramento and have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the hotel, the rooms and the staff. My room was amazing and had all the amenities I needed....even a Keurig in each room! The business center came in handy when I needed to print some documents for work. And ALL the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend to anyone staying the in Sacramento area. I can't wait to try one of their hotels in another city.

Room Tip: The junior suite is a beautiful charming room and very spacious.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
El Cerrito, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is terrific. The staff has excellent customer service skills, is incredibly responsive and so you feel really pampered. If you join the Joy of Life club (free) you get things like sparkling water and dark chocolate when you check in and you selected newspaper every morning you are there.

It is conveniently located to the Convention Center, many restaurants and you get valet parking with as many in and out as you need.

It is my third stay there over a couple of years and I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: I usually request a quiet room on a higher floor (view, light) away from elevators, ice machines or...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at The Citizen in 2012 and 2013 before the California International Marathon. While noisy, I thought the hotel was extremely comfortable and charming and they told care of the marathoning guests. Not so anymore. An unusually loud wedding dance party on the seventh floor made sleep absolutely impossible. There were a series of very amaterish mishaps made by the staff while trying to correct the situation. Some hotels really care about CIM guests. Not The Citizen, anymore. (BTW - I don't typically submit bad reviews)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
bsuzuki
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I visited this hotel during the 2014 CIM marathon. It is a pretty busy time of the year for all the hotel, but the Citizen Hotel did not make the grade. It is actually a very charming hotel, but the staff is not very good. Firstly, I visited the hotel just before check in time and they did not have any rooms available. I was fine with that, but asked them to call me when my room became available. I received not phone calls. I went back to the hotel and they asked me to check in again. Not only did they make me check in again, but they still were not sure what room to put me in. The apologized for the problem and gave me a restaurant for $50. Alright, that was ok.

Went up to the room and it was very nice, the only problem was that there was not bathtub. There were ear plug in the bathroom, which was a little strange to us. Everything as going well, until about 8:00 pm when the nightclub across the street opened. My son actually thought that one of the widows was open the noise was so loud. We decided to use the ear plugs, but the noise was still bothersome. Only got about 3.5 hours of sleep that night.

I was extremely disappointed with the service I received from the people at this hotel. I thought that they would have had my room and key available for us when we returned to the hotel and that they would give us a very quite room. Instead we got neither. I will probably never return to that hotel, it was so disappointing.

Room Tip: Go tot he hotel restaurant, it has both good food and good service.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
San Lorenzo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I spent a night at the Citizen Hotel last week. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I really liked my corner room. It was a little small by US hotel standards, but it was very functional and had a nice Art Deco style. Check in was smooth & efficient. Everyone i encountered who worked there was very positive, professional & friendly. I was worried, when I first got to my room, the band playing nearby was VERY loud. But after I returned from dinner about 8:30 it was very quiet for the rest of the night. A friend and I had a light dinner at the Grange Restaurant. We had pumpkin soup and we shared a salad. The food was quite expensive, but it was very good. A tip for hotel guests; sign up for to Joie de Vivre guest program by email to get free wifi. There is a charge for it, but the front desk automatically removes it fom your bill. It is very close to the state Capitol and many other government buildings. Yet also close to Amtrak & other downtown attractions. This trip was a little rushed, arriving at 6pm and leaving at 3pm. Hopefully next time I have to stay in Sacramento, I'll have a little more time to explore & enjoy the Citizen Hotel.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Chico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I make several visits to Sacramento, CA every year and we usually stay either at the Hyatt or Holiday Inn. However, just prior to this trip I overheard a conversation with a business colleague, and he was praising The Citizen Hotel. I made a few inquiries and then booked a reservation for a Saturday/Sunday stay. We were pleasantly surprised when we checked it at both the décor and cleanliness of the hotel. We were greeted warmly by both the parking valet and hotel staff. We had a corner room on the 12th floor and though the view is of downtown Sacramento, all in all it was not too bad. We also booked a reservation at the hotel's restaurant The Grange. It was one of the finer meals my wife and I have had in Sacramento. Nice ambience, delicious food, and a very attentive staff. We may have found our new "go to" hotel in Sacramento.

Room Tip: Since this is a "downtown hotel" I would suggest asking for a room on the higher floors (8...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!