“Wonderful stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Tehachapi, CA
“Wonderful stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I was looking for a hotel with quality and character and I found it. It was a new hotel in the area and I took a chance and won. It has been retored from an old law office, it was decorated with class and sophication, the towels and bedding were top notch. The service was flawless. The view from the room was of the Ceasar Chavez Plaza and the City Hall, beatifully lit making it a nice walk in the evening. It was a quiet, clean and well maintained hotel, the newspaper in the morning was a nice touch. I would definately recommend to my friends.

• Liked — Classy hotel
  • Disliked — would hve liked wi-access without a charge
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Sacramento
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

I booked a suite at new The Citizen Hotel for New Year's Eve. My husband and I were recently married and didn’t get to take a honeymoon, so this was our exciting getaway. When we got to our room it was clear that the room we reserved was not the room they gave us. We were treated extremely rudely by all staff members and it was obvious that they gave our room to someone else and made no effort to fix the situation. I told them I was disappointed and considering checking out. At that point the manager said that I should check out and refused to speak with me face-to-face. We then left the hotel feeling like we were not citizens at all and that they didn't care about us as guests. I have never been treated that way in my life.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
CitizenSacramento, Guest Service Manager at The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2009
Dear Chyann 9,
Thank you for choosing the Citizen Hotel for your recent stay. We appreciate your feed back. I would like to take a moment to respond to your concerns. I apologize that we could not meet your room type needs and that your experience was less than satisfactory.
Thank you again for choosing The Citizen Hotel. We hope that you will consider staying with us again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

This is a beautiful hotel but it just opened so you probably should not stay here until more kinks are worked out in the future.

We had three rooms and, while pretty, were not super impressed in the end due to so many tiny details lacking and the money paid. We would stay here again though in time due to the exceptionally friendly staff.

THE GOOD:

Pretty Building, impressive upon entering

Unique hotel and room decor

Air/Heater worked excellent and fast

Very friendly polite staff

Nice thick robes in room

Super comfortable bed and pillows

THE BAD:

Some rooms are puny so be careful where you end up (think Seattle/NYC/Europe small); had no space to even unpack suitcases

No space/shelves in bathroom for personal items

Some rooms do not have bath tubs

Tile floor in bathrooms is really uncomfortable, they need serious rugs or something

Limited menu choices in restaurant and room service, but good food

No iron/ironing board in room (think this was a mistake)

Didn’t have hot water for showers for 2 days (again, new hotel)

Basic amenities are lacking: shower cap, bathroom mat for cold/slippery tiled floor, etc.

Doors are thin and rooms are small so you can hear everything in hallway

Windows are not sound proof so every city noise outside is in your room (I mean every noise!)

Internet didn’t work consistently

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
CitizenSacramento, Guest Service Manager at The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2008
Dear World traveler 38,
Thank you for choosing the Citizen Hotel. Your feedback is appreciated. I would llike to take a moment to respond to your concerns. While our queen room, in which you stayed, is our smallest room, sizes vary widely throughout the hotel. Also, in regard to irons and boards; they are available upon request, as we stock steamers in the rooms. Over 70% of rooms have new double pane windows and we are currently developing a sound proof solution to test, and I apologize for any disruptive noise that you may have experienced. I would also like to apologize for any problems you experienced concerning hot water availability and internet availability. Again, thank you for choosing The Citizen Hotel, and we hope that you will stay with us again.
Wayne Hall
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

Built in a historic renovated building, this Joie de Vivre boutique hotel is just what Sacramento has been needing - an iconic landmark that celebrates the city's history and culture.

Unlike all the other national chain hotels in town, Citizen gets that Sacramento is a government town and they've built a stylish and urban hotel to celebrate it. The theme is politics - photos of past California politicians and political events (anything from protests in the 60's to school children touring the Capitol building) decorate the walls. Visitors of right and left political leanings will be pleased to know that the hotel does an excellent job of representing both parties' histories; I honestly didn't sense a "bent" to the hotel at all. The theme extends to all aspects of the hotel: In the rooms there are political cartoons and the conference and meeting rooms are called things like "Legislature Room" and the "Big 4 Lounge". The lobby is also decorated like a legal library with leather bound case books stacked up to the second floor. Scandal, the bar, features photos on the wall of flashing cameras to give you the feel that you're being chased by the paparazzi. All of this is done in an upscale and chic way - not cheesy at all.

As for food, we dined at the restaurant in the hotel which was excellent and featured a lot of locally grown items. The bar, Scandal, was also fun and had some nice drinks - but no shot glasses (disappointing for those of us that wanted Irish Car Bombs). Their menu looked nice as well, but we didn't eat here. The room service menu was a nice change from the ordinary and the food was good, although not as good as the restaurant. I usually think room service items are obscenely costly and of poor quality. While Citizen's room service certainly wasn't cheap, it seemed more worth its value because it was actually edible.

The rooms are fairy small, I assume maybe because this was an old building, but they are nicely decorated and very comfortable. All of the electronics are the latest and the bed was very comfortable. For being situated on a major downtown street, it was really quiet at night. Our room had a lovely view of City Hall and our friend's room overlooked the State Capitol. Rooms have a great attention to detail. Even the morning paper comes in a bag outside your door that says "Read between the lines" - cute.

My only complaint about the room is the bathroom. They were large - maybe a little too large - and the tile floor (while keeping in line with the theme and decor) was really cold. The door was a sliding door and I couldn't figure out how to keep it fully shut, it kept sliding open an inch or two. Also, it took forever for my shower to warm up, but given that the hotel has just opened and is far from capacity, I may have just been the first shower of the morning. There also wasn't a garbage can in the bathroom, which was inconvenient. Again, it could be chalked up to working out the bugs, since the hotel has just opened. Hopefully they'll fix these small details.

The staff was attentive, hard working, and ready to please. There is no parking garage, so you'll need to valet your hotel. It takes a while to get your car back, so I suggest calling to the concierge to ask for it before you check out. Also, I don't think the cars are parked in covered parking overnight so be aware if you like to baby your vehicle.

Overall, I thought Citizen was a fabulous stay and is sure to be a destination hotel. If you're from Sacramento, you'll get a kick out of the old-school politics vibe and if you're a visitor it's a must visit to get a taste of our Capitol culture. This is the kind of place I'll take all my out-of-town friends when they visit!

Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Sassysipper,
Thank you for choosing The Citizen Hotel for your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback. I would like to take a moment to resond to your concerns. I apologize for the lack of hot water during your stay; since then we have resolved all hot water issues. Also, we have placed trash cans in the bathrooms of all 198 rooms. Thank you again for choosing The Citizen Hotel. We look foward to you staying with us again.

Wayne Hall
Guest Service Manager

Been to The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!