“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

The Citizen Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   926 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book direct and SAVE BIG!
Ranked #3 of 84 hotels in Sacramento
New York City, New York
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and daughter and I stopped here on our trip between Portland, Oregon and Yosemite National Park. After a 12 hour drive our priorities were: great bathtub, quiet, luxurious room, delicious room service and a good night's sleep. The Citizen gave it all in spades! The room was beautifully appointed, the bathtub was luxuriously deep, the room service was quick and high quality, and the bed--the most comfortable I've ever slept in. In fact, I emailed the hotel to ask them what brand of mattress they used, so that I could purchase one for home. Their GM: Brent Larkin, emailed me back very quickly with all of the info I needed. Staff was also very attentive and friendly during our stay. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent anniversary here with wife and had a lovely time. Very close to a variety of restaurants, not to mention the very nice one on the bottom floor. Quiet, well designed rooms with wonderful views of the city and central valley. On clear days you can see both sides.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I've stayed here several times but this was probably the best based on the kindness and attention from the hotel staff. This morning when I asked for a side of walnuts to go with my oatmeal, the server said they didn't have any. I was content to eat my oatmeal with the dried fruit and brown sugar they came with it. However, within 2 min., the chef (A wonderful and gracious African American man whose name I didn't get) came to my table with a side of walnuts! Now it may not seem like much but when you travel for business as much as I do, it's little things like this that make it worth it. This gracious act was followed by another. As I checked out, Blaine asked about my stay and I mentioned that I have two more trips back to Sacramento and unfortunately wouldn't be able to stay here because the reservation person told me that my company's corporate rate was unavailable. Well, Blaine took care of everything and now I'll be back for both my Sept and Oct. business trips! Citizen Hotel...you rock!!

By the way....The rooms are great (love being able to open the windows for fresh air!!), great views, comfy beds, and the bathrobes are a great touch!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Santa Monica, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Returned to the Citizen on a Friday night. The excellent bar/restaurant (The Grange) was packed with a kids cocktail party, so we called room service for a bottle of wine. After two messages weren't returned (10 minutes), called the front desk and a bottle of excellent Chardonnay appeared with five minutes--FREE! Very impressed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My bed was comfy, the hallways quiet, but the gym was subpar (equipment broken) and the restaurant service average. A fine stay for a business trip to Sacramento, but I will likely try something new next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Chose The Citizen Hotel for a weekend staycation to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Loved the ambiance and decor. The room size was adequate, bathroom huge...it seemed almost equal to the size of the actual living space. This is definitely a hotel for adults wouldn't think of it as a place to stay for families with young children but teens might like the cool upscale vintage vibe. Loved the little touches we received with our getaway package, dessert and champagne waiting in the room after we returned from dinner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I joined the Joie de Vivre Club online for free. That gave me a free upgrade. I went early (11am) on a Friday and was able to get a 12th Floor corner King. (Jr. Suites were sold out) as others advised. . With the "summer break" discount I got all this for about $135. Neighborhood is a mix of very high rent and lower class. Got my chocolate bars and soda at the liquor store across the street, but also a delicious lemon tart at an upscale bakery/restaurant nearby. MInibar only has space for you to put in one can of soda of your own. Valet parking guys out front make you feel very welcome right from the start. Wifi is $10 if you are not a club member. I like this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner King room, 12th floor facing park. Has lots of light. Join the Joie de Vivre club online for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Citizen Hotel? Share your experiences!