“The Citizen makes business trips wonderful” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Parking Package
Ranked #2 of 85 hotels in Sacramento
Phoenix, Arizona
“The Citizen makes business trips wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I've stayed here several times but this was probably the best based on the kindness and attention from the hotel staff. This morning when I asked for a side of walnuts to go with my oatmeal, the server said they didn't have any. I was content to eat my oatmeal with the dried fruit and brown sugar they came with it. However, within 2 min., the chef (A wonderful and gracious African American man whose name I didn't get) came to my table with a side of walnuts! Now it may not seem like much but when you travel for business as much as I do, it's little things like this that make it worth it. This gracious act was followed by another. As I checked out, Blaine asked about my stay and I mentioned that I have two more trips back to Sacramento and unfortunately wouldn't be able to stay here because the reservation person told me that my company's corporate rate was unavailable. Well, Blaine took care of everything and now I'll be back for both my Sept and Oct. business trips! Citizen Hotel...you rock!!

By the way....The rooms are great (love being able to open the windows for fresh air!!), great views, comfy beds, and the bathrobes are a great touch!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

434 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Santa Monica, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Returned to the Citizen on a Friday night. The excellent bar/restaurant (The Grange) was packed with a kids cocktail party, so we called room service for a bottle of wine. After two messages weren't returned (10 minutes), called the front desk and a bottle of excellent Chardonnay appeared with five minutes--FREE! Very impressed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My bed was comfy, the hallways quiet, but the gym was subpar (equipment broken) and the restaurant service average. A fine stay for a business trip to Sacramento, but I will likely try something new next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Chose The Citizen Hotel for a weekend staycation to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Loved the ambiance and decor. The room size was adequate, bathroom huge...it seemed almost equal to the size of the actual living space. This is definitely a hotel for adults wouldn't think of it as a place to stay for families with young children but teens might like the cool upscale vintage vibe. Loved the little touches we received with our getaway package, dessert and champagne waiting in the room after we returned from dinner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I joined the Joie de Vivre Club online for free. That gave me a free upgrade. I went early (11am) on a Friday and was able to get a 12th Floor corner King. (Jr. Suites were sold out) as others advised. . With the "summer break" discount I got all this for about $135. Neighborhood is a mix of very high rent and lower class. Got my chocolate bars and soda at the liquor store across the street, but also a delicious lemon tart at an upscale bakery/restaurant nearby. MInibar only has space for you to put in one can of soda of your own. Valet parking guys out front make you feel very welcome right from the start. Wifi is $10 if you are not a club member. I like this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner King room, 12th floor facing park. Has lots of light. Join the Joie de Vivre club online for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a great hotel if you are doing a photo shoot or ghost hunting. It is not super practical for families. We were accosted by hobos as we got out of the car to check in. The hotel overlooks a hobo park on one side and a bunch of alley ways on the other. The hotel seems like a place that would be haunted, dark, old, dank! The price was similar to the Embassy Suites and did not include any of the perks like free breakfast and a good location. We were duped into staying here by friends of ours who thought we'd be impressed....NOPE! The tub is super deep and my husband almost hurt his family jewels getting in and out of it. There is a fridge full of over-priced stuff that, if moved, will be automatically charged to your room.

On the upside:The décor is very pretty. The tub would be good if you are into taking bubble baths at hotels. The bathroom overlooked the state capital, which was fun to see as I was showering.

Coming from the Embassy Suites near the river the night before, this place was a down-grade.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

What a superb hotel. We really enjoyed our stay at the Citizen. We had a couple of nights visiting Sacramento which is a town with an interesting if not somewhat sad history. I think the Citizen reflects that. It was built at a time when Sacramento was really going places, having secured its role as state capital. The high rise rather grand building that houses the citizen hotel was built to reflect this new found status. Unfortunately for Sacremento gold fever and other events led to more southern cities being developed. Whilst Sacramento stood still. Therefore the citizen stands somewhat isolated, a glamourous high rise oasis surrounded by many empty shops offices. The hotel itself is well run, beautifully decorated and good value. The meal in the attached restaurant was probably the best we had in California. Local food cooked beautifully. I am not sure we will be returning to Sacramento but if we did we would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to The Citizen Hotel? Share your experiences!