“My New Favorite in Sacramento” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Orange County, California
“My New Favorite in Sacramento”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed a night at the Citizen recently on yet another business trip to Sacramento. Thank God I found it! (My prior overnight was not my favorite.) The pictures posted do not do it justice. I found the hotel to be much nicer in person and will definitely stay here in the future.

I had booked a king room but upon check-in was offered various upgrade options, including to a junior suite for only $19 more, an offer I decided to accept (I was also offered the super fancy suite on the top floor for $150 more - maybe next time!).

The room was large with a king bed, a good-sized sitting area, two TVs, a desk and two club sort of chairs. It was nice to have a bit of extra space. The bath was also fine - single sink and shower tub combo. Unlike my prior hotel, the room actually had a safe!! And an iPod dock/clock. It also included a Keurig coffee maker which also can be used for hot water/tea which I loved. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens and pillows. I was on the 9th floor and found the hotel to be very quiet (Room 901 to be exact if you want a quiet room).

What I liked about the Citizen is that it was classic without looking old and run down. It is clearly an old building but it is not dated in a bad way.

The staff was great. I forgot my toothbrush and paste - not a problem, they had both. I had issues with the TV - not a problem, engineering came right over.

I was able to squeeze in a workout. The fitness center was not super fancy but had a couple of treadmills, a bike, an elliptical as well as a various fitness balls and weights.

I ate at the Grange twice for breakfast and once for dinner. I particularly enjoyed the breakfasts, but dinner was also very good.

I highly recommend the CItizen if you need to stay in SAC.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on an higher floor. Also, ask about upgrades as they are very affordable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Merced, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The parking situation was a little confusing as you literally just pull up in front of hotel on the street with the taxis for valet but from that pint on its gets good. I was here for business for three night. I received a nice room on the 11th floor overlooking the park. The room was comfortable and nicely appointed with erything you could need...robes, mints, it rained whike I was there and there was even an umbrella in the closet. My room was quiet although my friend who was there on a lower floor in another area complained about noise from a bar across the street. The hotel is within walking distance to alot of restairants and convenient to downtown. Tge hotel restaurant Grange had an excellent selection of cocktail and food.

The staff was incredibly polite and helpful. I returned around 1pm one day and realized I left the do not disturm sign out. The housekeeper in the room acroos from mine greeted me very nicely in almost a familiar was and asked if I wanted ger to clean the room. I told her yes and explained what happened. She was really nice and just said its not a problem. I returned a few hours later to a clean room.

My only complaint is minor. The bathroom are beautiful but dim. I had to get ready early before it was light and the makeup mirror wasnt much help for daytime makeuo but really this is the worst thing I can say aboit this hotel.

The decor is beautiful and has a funky but cool political look..perfect for Sac. I:ll never stay anywhere else.

washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I reserved a room AARP for $134 but needed breakfast, so I paid $ 169, wrote an e-mail to ask if this was breakfast for 2.

No answer. That was 10 days before our coming. No answer.

Had to call. Was answered yes, 35 $ for 2 breakfasts. By someone not too friendly.

When we got there, the woman at the desk who had been so nice with the young customers ahead of us, was the image of indifference when it came to us.

No, breakfast was not for 2.

What I had bought, she said, was a voucher for $ 25 towards breakfast.

I told her it did not make any sense since what I had paid for breakfast was $ 35.

Then she proceeded to tell me the wi-fi fees. I told her I had joined the JDV club to avoid the fees. She claimed she could not see it.

I was not happy. Maybe it showed. Suddenly, the woman started to be pleasant.

Though she claimed my room was originally $ 139 ( which is wasn't), she would make me pay only $134, and the voucher would be voided. (the final bill was $ 134 + taxes and no fees for wi-fi, the parking is $25, and there were tips for people here and there)

The room was ok. It is small, old, and needs some paint.

No tub, and the shower is awkard to be in. You have to step into cold water to run the water.

No charm. I have read the reviews of this hotel, but sorry, no charm for me at all. If you like caca-d'oie paint, dirt, and black-and-white cartoons on the wall, well, maybe it'll be charming to you.

The staff was very pleasant, and the car people too.

We had dinner and breakfast at the "Grange" the restaurant attached to the hotel. And that was out of this world. M'mm m'mm good, as Mr. Campbell would say. But know that this comes at a high price. $150 for 2 at dinner and $45 at breakfast.

I would go back to Grange anytime. Not so sure about Citizen.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I feel like I just stayed the night in my grandfather's suit. The hotel is old-world, early 1900's gentleman, with pinstriped details and charming light fixtures. Valet parking at $25 per night, but since there is no other option, this kind of seems worth it. No overnight street parking is available nearby. The hotel is clean, the bed accommodating, the bathrobes are nice, the free soaps and shampoos inoffensive. The air conditioning when it turns on will wake the dead, but they kindly provide earplugs with cotton balls in the bathroom. No ghost sighting this time, but maybe next!
The Grange Restaurant in the lobby is really the high point though, as this is still one of the best restaurants in town and a very popular place for a drink.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the Capital building
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Service and details were excellent, rooms on smaller side but very comfortable, clean, and really pleasant with thoughtful touches. Bedding and toiletries were deluxe. The night manager went out of her way to help us on arrival. Would stay here again for sure. Food in their restaurant hotel was delicious and interesting with a great vibe at breakfast. Lovely spot.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

The citizen is the only place I stay in sac. The staff is great. The location is good for meetings in mid town and at the Capitol The immediate area the hotel can be sketchy.
The hotel's restaurant, the grange is great -- especially breakfast
Service is very good, as is the reward policy. Sign up for free Internet and a welcome gift
Rooms are small- it's a historic hotel. Rooms are also noisy o haven't been Obama quiet room yet. There is a bar across the street from the hotel that is very loud. And break rooms in the hotel that can be heard in the sleeping rooms
Overall it is the best place to stay on sac

Fresno, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

exceptional staff who are responsive, attentive and friendly. Good value. Would definitely return. Rooms are clean and while dated, well kept up. Flavor of the old which has been tastefully updated. Location is easy walking distance to the capital and courthouses. Right in heart of downtown.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!