“Great location, nice beds, will stay again” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   926 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great location, nice beds, will stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Just left after 4 days. Overall I would recommend the Citizen to my friends. Staff is friendly, rest/bar had a great persimmons salad and my favorite vodka. Rooms are comfortable, beds felt great. I had a 2nd floor room over the front door which was a bit loud but right near the steps to the lobby which was convenient. Location was near a few amenities that I enjoyed including a pour-over coffee shop, Tower Coffee, a nice hangout called Blackbird, and a great French pasterie shop. Right On J street so walking distance to anywhere downtown

Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Citizen is a small-ish boutique hotel in downtown Sacramento. We were there for business and did use their restaurant conference room, which was quite nice.

Our room was on the 5th floor, a corner room, so lots of windows on two sides of the room. Bathroom small but not a problem. They did provide a lighted makeup mirror, but as two of us were using the bathroom to get ready, I did have to put the mirror on the toilet back. Small issue, and no big deal for me. I would ask for a higher floor, as the street noise can be a problem. The windows are old so no dual pane glass, and they did not open. They did thoughtfully provide ear plugs (a nice touch!). Nicely decorated and comfortable beds.

Ate at the restaurant (can't remember the name, dang it!). Good food, great cocktails in the evening (very inventive).

Our conference room was very nice but the lighting was an issue. Lots of windows on one side, but too much glare for our laptops and too dark when we put the shades down. They kindly brought in lamps, but this might be an issue to look into.

The breakfast (continental) and lunch provided were outstanding.

Much of the immediate area around the hotel is pretty depressed, but it is close to the capitol and that is a very nice place to take a stroll. Good restaurants within a short walking distance.

Overall a great value and a very nice stay.

Room Tip: A higher floor, for sure. Too much street noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Having decided not to stay in a previously booked holiday inn due to the disgrace that it was (see my other review!), I needed a place quick....

Good: The decor is individual and has an industrial era vintage feel to it. It is really nice. The room is a bit small, but perfectly adequate and comfy. The attached bar "The Grange" is in keeping with the style and is very well stocked, and tended. The view from the 11th floor of the side of the capital was really nice for sunrise.

Bad: To be clear non of this was a deal breaker but... You can hear trains in the distance, and also trams rumble by. On the 11th floor it was not particularly noticable but I imagine on lower floors it might be irritating. Also, when I called up I was told the rate was 259 and there was one room left. I called my travel agent who secured a rate of 223, great. Interestingly the guy checking in infront of me immediately got the 223 rate, and obviously that also meant there was more than one room. A little consistency as always would be appreciated. Parking is 25USD valet, and Internet is 9.95 per device - this is a little steep PER device, but the staff was very clear to make sure I knew this so as not to rack up a big bill.

Overall I would reccomend the character of this place as being very individual and great example of what a good refurbishment. Happy with my stay here.

Room Tip: Go high to avoid tram noises. Ask for a capitor view too...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was my second trip to the Citizen Hotel in Sacramento and I was pleased yet again. The hotel is traditional but not old, classic however with great modern features and my room each visit seemed unique and clean and bright. The furnishings were top quality and I even like the hallways and little lounge areas. The bar and restaurant are excellent, with great food and ambiance and the service was impeccably friendly. I have business in Sacramento and plan to return to the Citizen if there is a room available.

Room Tip: Penthouse suite with the patio is wonderful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

They helped us find a replacement hotel! We booked a night using booking.com and discovered after we'd checked in that they allowed pets, despite booking.com's description that pets were not permitted. My wife has severe allergic reactions, so unfortunately we couldn't stay although we thought the hotel and the room were charming! Joe at the desk was extremely nice though and exceptionally classy. He waived all penalties and fees, including valet parking, and then went out of his way to call multiple local hotels to find a place for us to stay!

It turned what could have been a real fiasco into a really positive experience!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
los angeles, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding last weekend and were very impressed with the cool history of the hotel. The Library Bar was "muy authentico" and had old books lining all the walls. A great place for a drink!

Our room had a huge bathroom overlooking the capital building. However I quickly found that since we were located right next to the elevator (room 718) and this was our first weekend away from our baby and the first weekend to get some sleep, the constant dinging of the elevator and sounds from people walking in/out of the elevator was not going to work. The front desk was really accommodating to move us and we moved to a much quieter room (although with a much less cooler bathroom) within 20 minutes.

The hotel was great and the front desk was very helpful. There are a some good restaurants close by within walking distance. If I was going to be in downtown Sac again I would stay here without hesitation.

Room Tip: 718 is right outside from the elevator (lots of noise)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Monterey California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and lucked out with a large corner room . Our room was stylish and charming. The decor is classic with a little bit or whimsy. The bathroom was beautiful and our bed was so comfortable we ordered the same bed for our house.
The staff was friendly but the maid service did not attend to our room which is a little unforgivable for a 4 star hotel. The bar restaurant attached to the restaurant downstairs is terrific and lively. Good location in downtown sacramento to walk to bars & restaurants. Great boutique hotel with loads of charm.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!