“Perfect, small boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

The Breakfast Club
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Sacramento
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, CA
“Perfect, small boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is a beautifully-restored boutique hotel in an early 19th century apartment building. My only complaint is the small rooms, but that's okay. But who needs a huge room, especially if you are traveling alone. You will be pampered at this well-appointed downtown hotel. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get an upper story room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I'll admit, last time I reviewed this hotel, I rated it poorly due to a billing issue (March 2010). The manager called me and apologized, and the policy has since changed.

I stayed here 2 weeks ago, and was given room 1322. Wow. I could have had a party in my bathroom. The bedroom, as usual, was comfortable, sumptuous, intimate, and cozy. Staff is pleasant and top-notch. If I didn't need to get home for a meeting, I would have stayed an extra night just because it was so nice.

I can't wait to go back this week, and then again next month. I'll keep my eye on my e-mails for my "Chip's Picks" and book the Citizen whenever I have business in Sacramento.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

The Citizen is a hotel we come to whenever we are in Sacramento. Like other JDV properties, it is well decorated with a distinct theme throughout-in this case, politics! It is clean, and has everything you need when here on business. The restaurant is great as well.

San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

So firstly this is a lovely hotel and is well decorated, the room was excellent and if you could move it to San Fran or NYC you could charge a fortune :-)

Based on reviews I stayed here for one night booked directly with the hotel, it was over Christmas. The website made a big deal about putting your name down for an upgrade and it only being like $9 or $30 etc so I did.

Upon check in this wasnt even mentioned and I asked 'So did I get the upgrade?' oh no sorry was the answer , ok fair enough so went to the room which was really nice

Area gets a hmmmm as we dodged about 3 homeless people on the way in, on the way out were asked for money, cigarettes etc etc , Now I know this isn't the fault of the hotel but it does seem to be a bit of a diamond in the rough, a lot of the shops around it have closed down and though it may be nice and safe it didn't give that feeling. We went to Capitol Park which again was nice but felt very deserted, found a great Irish bar called Deveres and decided to camp there. I was not there on a work day so it may be better when there is more life about (rather than just people trawling the streets)

So on check out was where I got frustrated , I checked the bill and it said $19 upgrade fee, and two internet charges ? we were only there 20 hours ! I asked about the upgrade and was told oh sorry thats a mistake we will take it off, and then on the internet was told oh yes someone went online this morning, I said well surely you pay $9.95 for 24 hours? they took it off but I felt uncomfortable having to point out things to be removed. As the room was over $150 to be charged for an upgrade I didnt get then 2x internet and to top it off you have to pay $20+ for parking !

All in all the room and hotel was nice, the checking out experience and the area were ropey , sorry but that's my opinion :-)

Did goto the old town in the morning and that was a pleasant few hours but I cant say I will be rushing back to Sacramento , am happy to be proved wrong though

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Dear tilz1,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay. I was happy to see you enjoyed your stay but want to apologize for the billing issues you experienced. The upgrade program is based on availability at the time of check in, my apologies that your desired ugrade was not available at that time. The area around the hotel is undergpong a revitalization and while that process is not complete it is completely safe. It's unfortunate your were here when all the government offices were closed for Xmas as downtown gets very qiuet without the Capitol crowd. I will review the billing errors you encountered and review with the team so that we can learn from them and prevent them in the future. Thank you again and best wishes in the New Year.
santa monica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Great service; nice restaurant; comfortable room...although the work out room was simple there are so many beautiful places outdoors this was not an issue. Like the wine social hour etc. I would stay here again next time I do business in Sacramento.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

The only thing that's keeping me from giving this a 5-star rating is the outside noise we were able to hear from our room. Now granted, we did stay there on a weekend in December, which basically means company holiday parties galore (for both Friday and Saturday night), and the staff did notify us of the noise/music upon check-in with their highly enforced 11pm noise curfew that we appreciated. We clearly heard music from our 10th floor room (outdoor tented area is on the 7th floor) so as long as you're not here to go to bed before 11pm on a night they have a big party, you should be fine. Another indicator that noise might be an issue was that there were ear plugs in the bathroom.

Aside from the party noise, this hotel is a wonderful place to stay. It's an absolutely beautiful building, amazing and accommodating staff (valet, front desk, even the folks at Grange restaurant, etc.), and it is close to the Capitol. The decor reminds me of a Restoration Hardware with a political cartoon twist to it. Beds are comfortable, the bathroom is nicely appointed (their amenities are great and the packaging is made of sustainable cornstarch), there are 2 tv's in our room with an apple mac minicomputer, and they have a keurig coffee maker.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again. I like the hotel, I enjoyed the room, the staff is excellent, and the price is pretty fair for this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Matzenbach, DE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

We stayed here in Aug 2009 for a friends wedding. The valet parking was great, and the interior of the hotel smelled or rich mahogany and leather bound books.
The public areas were lovely and the rooms were small but well decorated, with particularly comfortable beds and full length mirrors. Thoroughly enjoyed the stay, short as it was. We will be back if we have need to stay in the city again!

• Stayed August 2011

Been to The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!