“A great option for Sacramento” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% Off Summer Weekends
Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Sacramento
San Francisco, California
“A great option for Sacramento”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

While I'm a point gathering, chain hotel-staying kinda guy, The Citizen is a great option/alternative in Sacramento. This is my first stay at a Joie de Vivre hotel, and I was pleased.

DEFINITELY RECOMMEND

The hotel is right downtown and you can walk everywhere! We took Amtrak from San Francisco, walked to the hotel, and walked everywhere all weekend. Drive here if you need, but you can park...and walk to fun, food, adventures, City Government, State Government.

Our corner room (#1122) was comfortable (see pics). Great bedding. Bathroom was great. Loved the shower...who doesn't love a great shower?

Cool things -
1) Apple TV box in the room. In addition to TV, you can logon and watch your Netflix and other online programming. Pretty cool
2) Shower...did I mention that?

Slight bummers -
1) Thermostat didn't seem to work. We tried and tried...and heat wouldn't come on.
2) Noise - there is a "party" space on the 7th floor where they have wedding receptions, etc. and bands/DJ's play until 11pm. For every person we (over)heard checking in, they said to each person, "there will be noise tonight and tomorrow night..." - so be aware of that. They provide earplugs in the room.

Room Tip: Ask about noise...if they are having events that evening.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

DO NOT BOOK YOUR WEDDING HERE!!!!

Unless you are ready for a huge headache. I had my wedding here, the hotel is BEAUTIFUL and that is the ONLY good thing about the Citizen.

The service is AWFUL! From day one we had a headache. After we put our deposit down they kept trying to raise the price on EVERYTHING, food, package, hotel stay, EVERYTHING! Luckily I kept all emails and my original package pricing and I had to email all these to them in order for them to even honor the pricing we had originally booked! PLUS they NEVER returned any phone calls, messages or emails. I wrote a negative comment on Facebook prior to the wedding, after that someone FINALLY called me back. I let them know I was worried about things not turning out well on the Big Day due to the mess they had caused prior and I was reassured my Wedding Day would go smoothly. BUT IT ABSOLUTELY DID NOT!!!!

The coordinator Melissa is no where to be found come wedding day, myself, bridesmaid and mom had to call her multiple times, for many things. When I complained to the Citizen about this they said she is not meant to be there all the time, and that she is overseeing the entire event. Some many things went wrong I have NO IDEA what she was overseeing!!! Before the ceremony the hotel kept trying to charged us for the room we stayed in that was suppose to be COMPLIMENTARY, my sister-in-law fixed that mess for us. Then the Governs Suite was not ready when we were told it would be due to another wedding party the night before so we were unable to take our getting ready pictures in there which I was SUPER bummed about. The ceremony doors were not unlocked as people were showing up, my mom called to have Melissa come down. Everyone had no idea where to go, finally my father-in-law found someone to open the doors. The ceremony went pretty well and then we went up to the Terrace for the reception and the head table was only set up with 10 seats. We had 12 people in the wedding party. This was written down and I even called the day prior to make sure they had the count right, so for a little bit we waited for them to bring the extra seats. I had to ask for them to bring appetizers out for the wedding party and they only brought the sliders, no coconut shrimp. Also one table of 10 did not even receive ANY appetizers at all! They even asked 3 times for them and my mom asked as well and NO ONE brought them ANY! I'm not sure if there were other tables who didn't receive apps as well yet. The kids DID NOT receive ANY kids meals and NONE of our vendors received their meals! I couldn't believe it! It was so embarrassing!!! Most the vendors were there from 12AM- 10PM with nothing to eat. On top of that the steak we served was suppose to be "MEDIUM" it was very "RARE" many of our guests DID NOT eat because it was way to rare, and looked NOTHING like it did at the tasting!!! People left early because they were hungry and their kids had nothing to eat! Very upsetting and disappointing!!! Then the next day they charged my card over $9,300!!! I was completely paid up and there was absolutely NO reason I should have had this charge! They fixed it but I was unable to use the card for 2 days and was on my honeymoon!!! They said it was a "computer error" I personally think they mixed up the files and charged me for another wedding since they had 2 the night prior. EVERYONE who stayed at the hotel had a charge of at least $100 that they had to call and have fixed as well.

Like I said the hotel was BEAUTIFUL but service is AWFUL!!! I complained and the hotel said they will be refunding me for the vendor meals, kids meals, and the 10 appetizers that I paid for and were not served. I have yet to receive the credit though. They also said they would give us a gift certificate for my husband and I to the Grange for dinner. That has not come yet either. I would have expected a little bit more compensation, its bad enough that the food was rare, people didn't even receive the appetizers, kids and vendors didn't get meals but on top of that my card being charged over $9,300!!! It was just ridiculous!!!

So brides its NOT WORTH the headache! Book somewhere else! The place is so beautiful, its a shame that the service is soo awful!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Citizenmanagement, Director of Sales at The Citizen Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Josie - We are so sorry to hear you were disappointed with your wedding experience at The Citizen which is why we reached out to you directly as soon as we were aware of your concerns immediatlely after the event. We don't want anyone to be dissatisfied with their special day and thought we had resolved the issues with you in a manner that you would find satisfactory.

In regards to the pricing. When you booked your event, you requested that we remove items from our standard package in order to reduce the price. We agreed to do that and lowered the pricing to accommodate your request. As the event was planned, you ultimately added all of the removed items back, which necessitated an increase in the price. Additionally, you changed your date after the contract was signed and we accommodated that request as well.

Since you booked your event nearly a year ago, we have added additional staffing to handle our wedding clientele which has alleviated the issues we were experiencing with slow response times. This is the first complaint we've had since we made that change seven months ago. As of just a few weeks ago, we've hired another Wedding Concierge with a substantial amount of experience handling weddings. As we discussed on the phone, that position is responsible to coordinate on behalf of the venue so while they are not always visible to you during the entire event, they are most certainly coordinating the food, beverage and timing of the day behind the scenes.

The head table was set correctly according to the Banquet Event Order you signed. Melissa noticed that there were 12 people in the bridal party during the cocktail reception and had the two additional places added before your group sat down for dinner.

The Hors d'ouevres are not meant to be served to tables, they are passed by our servers during cocktail hour. As we discussed on the phone, it seems like there may have been some miscommunication by guests who sat at their tables and waited for the food to be delivered to their tables so I removed the charges from your bill.

We've investigated the situation of vendor and childrens meals fully and while we've been unable to determine the exact details of this issue, we went ahead and removed all of those meals from your bill.

The computer glitch was truly that - something in our system auto-charged the full amount of your event the day after your event and our Accounting department jumped on correcting it the second we noticed it. We contacted your bank immediately and asked them to make the funds available immediately if possible since it was an error on our part. Per our email to you last Tuesday, the charges we agreed to remove were credited that day and we provided you with a transaction number. The amount of time it takes your bank to process those charges can take 3-5 days for a credit card and up to 10 days for a debit card. Your gift certificate was also mailed last week.

We am disappointed to learn that you felt like we could have offered more compensation since when we spoke on the phone, I agreed to all of the refund requests you asked for. We want all of our brides to have a truly amazing wedding day and apologize that you did not experience that.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

First time staying there, and overall it was a very pleasant suprise. Efficient staff, quiet rooms, very comfortable bed, great toiletries. Also enjoyed the "political motif" - State Constitution printed on the lamp shade, political catoons on the walls and in the bathroom, and the "In Closed Session" sign which serves as a "do not disturb" sign. Couldn't find the hair dryer and had a little trouble with the room temperature control, so I wouldn't give it 100 out of 100, but maybe 95 out of 100, as everthing else exceeded expectations and it certainly ranks as one of the nicest boutique hotels I've ever stayed at . Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I told the front desk I was a light sleeper and I was assigned a room at the back of the hotel. No v...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Stayed here as part of attending an event. The experience was a fun "staycation". Bell and front desk service was very friendly(only glitch was that the bottle of wine that we receive as Joie de Vivre "Joy of Life Club" members was never delivered to the room). The room was spacious, comfortable, and very clean. We saw our home town from a vantage point never viewed before. The Capitol done in the early morning is a beautiful sight. If you stay here, don't miss having a meal at the Grange restaurant.

Only negative mark is on the towels. They are thin and very rough. A little heft and a little fabric softener would go a long way.

• Stayed October 2011
Highland Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Room was on the small side with limited closet space, but that is my only complaint. The poitical theme is carried out with political cartoons in the rooms, poitical quotes in the elevators and political photos in the halls. Staff is friendly, helpful and professional. Be sure to eat in the Grange. This is definitely not your typical hotel restaurant with outstanding food, service and presentation and prices are reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the Metropolitan Terrace as it can be noisy if there is a wedd...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed at the Citizen for one night as part of our honeymoon trip. As we were early our room wasn't quite ready and the check in staff commented that if we were prepared to wait a bit then he could arrange a room higher in the hotel (for a better view) which we decided to do. The staff were amazing! Everyone we spoke to were so polite and attentive and friendly - we both felt very special. The room was lovely, big and clean and the bath to die for (you'll see from my reviews I love a good bath!). We also had a couple of drinks at the bar, where the staff were equally lovely. There was a wedding on at the hotel that night and tbh I was a bit worried it might be noisy - we didn't hear a sound. If we are ever in Sacramento - we will definitely stay here again. Thank you.

Room Tip: We waited for a room to be available that was higher in the building for a good view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bedford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel looks good and our room was beautifully presented although the bathroom was rather small. We ate in the restaurant the one night we were there. The service was good and the food OK. The is hotel within walking distance of the Capitol building and the historic old town and river front.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple