“Safe, inexpensive, meet great folks!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Sacramento International Hostel to your Saves list
Sacramento International Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   925 H Street, Sacramento, CA 95814   |
Fresno, California
“Safe, inexpensive, meet great folks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Wow, reading other reviews about bad experiences at check-in and parking just aren't anything I've ever experienced. Sorry the other folks had such bad luck. I have been a delegate at the Annual Conference for my church for the past 4 years and I have stayed at this hostel for 3 of those years. I consider it walking distance to the Sacto Convention Center (6 blocks). I have arrived just after noon and they allowed me to check into a dorm room, despite the 2pm usual check-in time. I usually arrive by Amtrak with reservations a month in advance, so I am very thankful for their allowances with my schedule. I have taken rides home with friends and staff has always allowed my friends to use the parking lot for 10 minutes or so when loading my stuff late on saturday afternoon. I have met wonderful folks while staying at the hostel, great conversations! I really enjoy this aspect of the hostelling! Their breakfast is good, oatmeal, apples, juice and english muffins or bagels with condiments. For late dinners and late snacks, I really appreciate their kitchen facilities. The only reason I didn't give this place 5 stars is because I have had trouble getting hot showers on the 2nd floor. Other gals say they thought the water was too hot, tho! I usually run the sink water for several minutes and that seems to draw the hot water to 2nd floor. The one time I stayed in a basement room, I had great hot, hot showers. The bathrooms seem to accumulate a little bit of dust on shelves and in corners... well not a little bit, A LOT!!! I am not a fastidious housekeeper so for me to recognize this is saying the place really could use some better cleaning. I know they have some people from a home for mentally challenged persons do their daily cleaning (those folks are very serious and they really take pride in their work) however, an appropriately delivered critical review might generate some positive results and be helpful.

Room Tip: The only way to save while staying at hostels is to stay in the dorm rooms. The Sacto prices for ot...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
SHaynesHostelManager, General Manager at Sacramento International Hostel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and are pleased that you have had such wonderful times at our hostel.

You mentioned that our hostel is a great place to meet people and we glad that you had this experience. Our organization's mission, "To help all, especially the young, gain a greater understanding of the world and its people through hostelling," is alive and well in guests like you. Facilitating conversations between our diverse guests with the intent of encouraging cultural understanding and tolerance is why we do what we do and we are so pleased that you were able to participate.

We will definitely take a closer look at the details of our housekeeping; thank you for bringing the extra dust to our attention.

Thank you again for your glowing remarks and we encourage you to explore the other hostels in our domestic and international network.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I can't say much for the accommodations because I never even got that far in my travel plans with these guys. After reading reviews I was a little discouraged because of the remarks about the staff but I thought I would give it a shot anyways. I had intentions of booking nearly the entire hostel for a group and spoke with two different people, both equally rude. I hope that they aren't making international travelers feel as belittled and unwelcome as I felt. I would never stay here nor book a group event here.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
SHaynesHostelManager, General Manager at Sacramento International Hostel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for the opportunity to hear your feedback on your experience. We are genuinely sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. We invite you to tell us more about your experience via email at info@sacramentohostel.org. If we can pinpoint exactly who you spoke with or when it was that you called, we can shore up our deficiencies and prevent another guest from having the same feelings that you did. We apologize again and hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We stayed at this hostel for 2 nights in a private double room.

On arrival we were told that we couldn't check in for another half an hour. I asked if we could just park our car in the car park as it wasn't full (it was gated and needed a code to get in) and then come back later to get into the room. I was told that I should pay for parking on the street as check in wasn't for another half an hour. I thought this was a little ridiculous for the sake of 30 minutes, but there was no sense of apology or helpfulness from the member of staff on the desk. (I must add that the member of staff on later on was much nicer and helped us with maps, planning our stay and getting washing powder etc. it just didn't feel like the ethos of the hostel was to be helpful though!)

When we did park and check in later on (parking was fine and secure), the room was quite small and it was a double bed with bunk above, so not particularly comfortable, but it was clean and towels were provided for the clean shared bathrooms.

Breakfast was a little confusing as there was a group of scouts staying who took over most of the kitchen with a combination of the breakfast provided and their own...but once we figured out what we had access to, it was fine - just fairly standard bread, jams and coffee, no juice. On the second morning, the breakfast had pretty much run out by the time we were there, but we did get some.

There's a laundry room in the basement which is good value and fairly quick. The wifi worked for the majority of the time, but reception were having difficulty with internet access whilst we were there though they did say that it was unusual.

Overall, this hostel was fairly average. It would massively improve with a little more help and friendliness from the staff.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate the full scope of your remarks. With a small staff that is responsible for all aspects of the hostel's operations, and a limited number of rooms, it is sometimes difficult meet all the needs of our guests. However, we would like to add that as a result of your review, we have been more lenient with early check ins. We look forward to your return and thank you again for your feedback

Happy Hostelling!
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

For me this is not the place to be. The building is beautiful, but there is nothing going on in the hostel. If you are depressed and don't want to make any friends, it might be a good place for you. You can sit at the very big dining tables on your own..... If you're not depressed enough already, then go to downtown, because there are all the homeless people and the ugly buildings.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback. It is unfortunate that our hostel was not more active on your date of stay. We strive to create the best possible environment for our guests and have recently been putting a lot of energy toward developing activities at the hostel that would facilitate guest engagement. Perhaps the next time you come through you will notice the difference. We look forward to your return!

Happy Hostelling!
Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed in the hostel for one night.
Arriving there made us go 'wauw', the hostel is in an old, beautiful mansion...
We had our own private room, which was nice and clean.
We had very helpful staff and enjoyed our stay very much!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is a truly beautiful hostel. It is an elegant mansion, beautifully restored and furnished. It is located right downtown within walking distance to the capitol, Old Sac, the light rail line, etc. It is well run and clean. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had a private room, # 35. On the 3rd floor, actually the attic, but with really tall ceilings it...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

This hostel near the major attractions in Sacramento houses many groups and has large dorm rooms. The atmosphere created by the warm introductions by the staff is friendly and peaceful. The breakfast is simple and not plentiful, and there is a large kitchen and common area. There are computers downstairs for a hefty sum. All in all a nice place to stay for a day while visiting the city, and just like Sacramento you shouldn't expect too much excitement.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sacramento International Hostel? Share your experiences!