“Thoroughly Disappointing Spa Experience!” 1 of 5 stars

Villas at Arden Hills Resort Club & Spa
1220 Arden Hills Lane, Sacramento, CA 95864   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Sacramento B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Thoroughly Disappointing Spa Experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Honestly, I have attended this resort on many occasions in the past and the staff has always been courteous and the 'exterior' was aesthetically pleasing. This time, rather than attend for business purposes, I wanted to treat myself to a relaxing massage--NOT!! This was the absolute worst massage I have ever had--EVER! I think masseuse was brand new--must have been his first day on the job because ANYONE (and I mean ANYONE) could have provided the level of service and technique (or lack thereof) that I received--was NOT what I expected for 85.00! The massage was 50 mins--40 mins was spent on my back (which STILL aches in certain places and THAT have never happened before). The other 10 mins was spread with about 2 minutes for each arm, leg and my neck. Done--that's it. The patterns, rhythms, technique he used were the same boring repetition...I had to interrupt him multiple times for his various shortcomings, so NEVER had the chance to relax or fall asleep like I usually do. I should have just ended the service, but I guess I kept hoping it would get better, and I guess a part of me did not want to hurt his feelings--bad decision on my part! To make matters worse, I found it extremely unprofessional and distasteful for the staff to ask me (loud and in front of other guests) "How much tip do you want to leave"..hmmm..That was very presumptuous on her part. Then when I said, I will take care of the tip separately (as I had NOT planned to leave ANY tip at all given how unsatisfied I was). However, the staff (again, very loudly said, "Yes, that's fine but I need to know how much tip you would like to leave because I need to enter it into the system.."? Again, very tacky when you have other guests standing right next to you...To make matters worse, I left a message for the Spa Manager to call me and I have yet to receive a phone call back. I would NOT recommend their spa services ever based on the experience I had--very disappointing! By the way, your spa fee does NOT include access to the full resort, so keep this in mind when researching spa packages.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were invited to a wedding and it was here. I was impressed by this place. I think it was just perfect for a wedding. There were places where you could take nice pictures. Nicely furnished rooms. The dinning area was really pretty. The rooms were big, so if you have a big wedding it is the right place for it. This wedding had 150 people and everyone could fit everywhere. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is the kind of hotel that you could fly in from anywhere in the world stay at the Hotel, and have a great time. This is a true resort.

The rooms are very nice, worthy of a Romantic getaway. The bathroom is very elegant and luxiourious. The hotel was very quiet when we were there. The food for breakfast was not not amazing in what they offered, or the quality, but they were good whole wheat pancakes, and the fruit was tasty.

This is a better vacation for those who like tennis, attending spas, and swimming. The Spa treatments were very personable, and treated you as their only client for the day. The Hot tubs connected to the Spas are not coed, which does limit some of the romance that you might intend with the Spa usage. The couples massage we had was very relaxing. My wife had the Hot stone, and I had a deep tissue massage.

I ended up having my haircut done stylist who works at the resort. It was a pleasant experience and I will return to have my hair cut there in the future.

If you are looking for a trip away from where you live, This is a great option, especially if you like Tennis.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

As a photographer with 28 years experience photographing weddings, I'd like to share that Arden Hills has been - for 25 years! - one of the absolute top venues in our area for Weddings and Receptions. It's beautiful to photograph and the Staff has been top-knotch. My clients consistently praise Arden Hills for the service, food, ambience and overall experience. I'm always excited to go and photograph an Arden Hills wedding because I know it's going to be great!
Chris Kight

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We recently stayed at the Villas at Arden Hills and felt pampered the entire time. Access to the club was a very nice benefit and one to not be missed. The breakfast is made to order and the Chef was both skilled and very personable. The Tuscan ambiance was real and the lovely outdoor patio was very quaint. Would definitely stay here again. Loved the fireplace, both in the room and at breakfast in the morning!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We live just two miles from Arden Hills. it was a stormy night and I wanted to soak in a huge tub with a fireplace in the bedroom. We checked in to The Portifino room. I was not aware that this was an actual villa with 5 guestrooms and several elegant common areas. There was only one other couple checked in so we pratically had this "mini mansion" to our selves.

In the am you head down stairs where a chef prepares you a made to order breakfast. All in all we had a nice time. The grounds of the resort are very nice. Mangoes had some good food.

The down side was the traffic noise from Fair Oaks Blvd. Also, in the am, as our room was above the kitchen, we could hear the chefs banging arounf and talking. Also, the menu selection for breakfast is not the best. Well, as they did have french toast I was bummed. My hubby was happy with his breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
St Albans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed in Portofino for 3 nights. The room is enormous and we really enjoyed it. Breakfasts were made for us downstairs and were really good except the orange juice is in a jug which you can not serve from without spilling! In the afternoon there are nice cookies and hot drinks left for self-serve. However on our nights, we never met anyone to talk to over breakfast (which is part of the fun of b+b). There was also a wedding ceremony under our balcony one evening which as UK visitors was nice to see (although the whole ceremony was finished very quickly by our standards). From Arden Hills to Sacremento center is still a good 25mins+. We did enjoy the room but it was the most expensive b+b on our holiday (we stayed in 12 over 5 weeks) and I am not sure it was really worth the extra money.We did make use of the swimming pool facilities one day and we could have made use of more that was there if we had had the time. Staff were all friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas at Arden Hills Resort Club & Spa? Share your experiences!