“Great Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Sacramento B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Great Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We live just two miles from Arden Hills. it was a stormy night and I wanted to soak in a huge tub with a fireplace in the bedroom. We checked in to The Portifino room. I was not aware that this was an actual villa with 5 guestrooms and several elegant common areas. There was only one other couple checked in so we pratically had this "mini mansion" to our selves.

In the am you head down stairs where a chef prepares you a made to order breakfast. All in all we had a nice time. The grounds of the resort are very nice. Mangoes had some good food.

The down side was the traffic noise from Fair Oaks Blvd. Also, in the am, as our room was above the kitchen, we could hear the chefs banging arounf and talking. Also, the menu selection for breakfast is not the best. Well, as they did have french toast I was bummed. My hubby was happy with his breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
St Albans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed in Portofino for 3 nights. The room is enormous and we really enjoyed it. Breakfasts were made for us downstairs and were really good except the orange juice is in a jug which you can not serve from without spilling! In the afternoon there are nice cookies and hot drinks left for self-serve. However on our nights, we never met anyone to talk to over breakfast (which is part of the fun of b+b). There was also a wedding ceremony under our balcony one evening which as UK visitors was nice to see (although the whole ceremony was finished very quickly by our standards). From Arden Hills to Sacremento center is still a good 25mins+. We did enjoy the room but it was the most expensive b+b on our holiday (we stayed in 12 over 5 weeks) and I am not sure it was really worth the extra money.We did make use of the swimming pool facilities one day and we could have made use of more that was there if we had had the time. Staff were all friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

All they had was a room for Friday night, so I call and ask "If we stay Friday night, can we use the resort all day on Saturday?" "Absolutely!" "Do I need to book through you, or can I book online?" "Either is fine!"

I book online.

The room is beautiful, the security guy who lets us in is very sweet, the bed is downright heavenly... I remember actually saying, "We will be back here." Breakfast was nice and simple (pastries were sort of Safeway quality, but the fresh OJ and eggs were good) and the chef/waiter was lovely.

We pack up and head to the resort for a day of exercise and pooling. The young kids say we can't go in because we had checked out. I explain and they promptly try to find a manager. They were just doing their jobs and I totally understood.

Then the "Banquet Manager" shows up and things go south. Fast.

I explain and he cops attitude. I start getting upset and he says, "If you called the Ritz, they would say the same." Um, huh? The short story is the resort charges $50 a person, a day for entry. I had just spent over $300 for a night in their Bed and Breakfast and wanted to be a repeat customer. Was it worth $100 to the resort to ruin this potential relationship and inherent marketing? I was ready to leave a glowing review...

Then the "Banquet Manager" got even cockier.

I am a very calm and friendly person. I actually love people. Therefore having my blood pressure raised so dramatically for the most ridiculous reason is extremely frustrating. I work in customer service as an advertising exec and rule number one is to treat your client as you would your friend. Build good relationships, build your business. I had to demand the "Banquet Manager" go talk to another supervisor. All of this for $100. How much is marketing worth? These days of Yelp and Twitter, etc. all businesses need to be wary of whom they put in front of their customers. Not the kids at the counters, as there is an understanding that they are young and learning, but the management is a different story.

The "Banquet Manager" came back and begrudgingly apologized that the woman I spoke to had remembered the conversation and he was sorry he took my time. Not sorry he was a jerk, mind you. Just that my 15 minutes was wasted on his need to exercise what little power he possesses in this world.

So, I was furious and could not calm back down for a good hour. All for what? $100?

I truly hope the "Banquet Manager" takes some management classes to learn how to treat potential repeat customers. This experience was unacceptable, ESPECIALLY in a place that claims "exceptional service".

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

On 1st glance, this is a very nice venue. It is clean, comfortable, and offers a warm feeling. Once you get settled in, is when the issues mount. 1st, this place has paper thin walls. The wedding guests next door were extremely loud and kept us up for a good portion of the night. Secondly, the Villas offers poor parking accommodations in a gravel lot. You can park in the main lot of the spa but they will charge you. Inside the villas,you feel like you are in a mini mansion. The bed and rooms are warm and comfortable. But when we took a shower, we found that the faucet was broken. There wasn't much staff available during our stay. The staff that we did meet with at their office across the parking lot was average at best, never once attempting to make our visit exceptional.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

My husband and I recently visited Sacramento for a wedding and decided to make a whoel romantic weekend out of it. We stayed 2 nights in the villas here. We had a wonderful time! Upon check-in we were asked what time we'd like breakfast (their chef comes over to the villas to cook right there in the kitchen for you!). I think this was one of my favorite parts about staying here. After checking in to the villas we wandered over to see the pool and fitness grounds and were in awe! There were multiple pools and tons of tennis courts for us to use. So the next morning, after breakfast, my husband and I played tennis, layed by the pool (were waited on hand and foot out there) and enjoyed a couples massage in the spa here. Could not have had a better time! Not to mention the wedding was beautiful on these grounds! Absolutely perfect!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
reno, n
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

My girlfriends and I stayed at The Villas for a girls night away. We had a blast. The accommodations are STUNNING. We loved that you get to use the entire resort when you stay there. Rooms are clean and comfortable. We didn't eat there, but they did arrange our dinner reservations for us and a ride. I will be going back and HIGHLY recommend people try it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I recently stayed at Arden Hills for a friend's wedding. At the rehearsal the night before, I was told by the resort's wedding coordinator that there would be no place for the groomsmen to get ready for the wedding and that we can't show up before 5:00 for a 6:00 wedding because we would not be allowed to use the property. This, no doubt, was in conflict with what the bride had been promised at the time of booking. Nonetheless, I was not concerned because I had reserved a large room adjacent to the ceremony site and offered to make that available for all the groomsmen to get dressed. The wedding coordinator then cautioned me that Arden Hills does not alloe parties so it was not advised. With a $360 per night room rate for a Sacramento inn, I wasn't about to worry about extra guests in my room for an expensive and classy wedding.
On the day of the wedding, pictures were planned for 2:00 for the groomsmen. I showed up at the resort at 1:30 to check-in and was told that check-in was at 4:00. I asked if the room was still occupied and they said that is was available. A little puzzled, I asked the man at the front desk why I couldn't check-in now if the room was ready. He said that I could in fact check-in, but it would cost an extra $25 per hour. Before I could respond, my wife chimed in and told him that was not an option and that we needed to be checked-in immediately. Her intimidating stare and tone were enough to encourage the man to let us in, but it never should have come to that.
The room was nice and we settled in. I then spoke with 2 other groomsmen who had arrived and had already been yelled at by some resort manager for ordering an overpriced drink at the bar. Apparently, only members can order from the bar, not groomsmen associated with an expensive wedding. The manager proceeded to kick them out of the bar area all together and asked that they wait in the lobby. Eventually, we all ended up in my room and were able to get ready for the wedding. I expected much better and kinder service.
Since when did the Watt Avenue/Carmichael area in Sacramento become so exclusive? I hadn't been in the area for about 10 years, but I remember feeling lucky if no one shot at me or tried to steal my car everytime I had been in the area in the past.
The room was very nice and large, but the service was terrible and just plain rude. I thought the wedding was nice, but in speaking with the bride the next day, there were many details that Arden Hills neglected. The best part of the resort was breakfast in the morning. The chef provided excellent service and was very accomodating.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas at Arden Hills Resort Club & Spa? Share your experiences!